L.A. Noire Crime Map Exposes 1947's Milk-Loving Acrobatic Thieves

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
L.A. Noire Crime Map Exposes 1947's Milk-Loving Acrobatic Thieves

Rockstar's interactive L.A. Noire crime map details the real crimes of 1947 Los Angeles, some more outlandish than others.

One of the key components of Rockstar Games' upcoming Grand Theft Auto [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304692906&sr=8-1] in the shoes of a police officer. L.A. Noire's focus on serious crimes is exemplified by Rockstar's creation of a 1947 crime map, which gives players an idea of the actual crimes that were committed in that year, and of those that they'll be attempting to solve.

The map shows the entirety of Los Angeles and the approximate locations that certain crimes were committed. They're divided up on the map with icons by type, such as homicide, robbery, etc. Clicking on an icon brings you to an actual newspaper clipping written about the crime in 1947.

For example, on January 20, a 20-year-old Navy veteran and his wife returned from a night of celebrating when he mysteriously attacked her with a shotgun, and then turned it on himself. It's implied that his time in the war affected him and may have led to the incident. Another crime isn't quite as heavy, detailing an affluent opera singer that neglected to report a stolen vehicle.

The map also shows that humor in L.A. Noire will come from the crimes themselves, not necessarily from coke-snorting nutcases that quip one-liners as in Grand Theft Auto. The crime map details a September crime where two bodybuilders traveled to a location to determine who was the alpha, and one hit the other over the head with a weight and stole his car. Another focuses on acrobatic thieves that came in through a market's skylight, drank a bunch of milk, and made their way off with choice cuts of meat.

As seen in its various trailers and L.A. Noire's here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108422-PAX-East-2011-L-A-Noire-Brings-Unparalleled-Realism-to-Virtual-Characters].

L.A. Noire will be available on May 17 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Another focuses on acrobatic thieves that came in through a market's skylight, drank a bunch of milk, and made their way off with choice cuts of meat.
That's awful. I hope I get to excise lethal force on those bastards.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
"playfully" stabbed in the neck and burglars that "must have worn overcoats and earmuffs".

I think most of us would be considered quite crass individuals in those days.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I might get it, only when I know how much I have after getting some Audio Monitors.

Captcha: Robert Tracces, such a cool word...

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
From everything I've seen, this game is going to have to be made of pure awesomesauce, or it's gonna be a ginormous let-down.

Gods! I hope it's the former, because I cannot freakin' WAIT to play this game!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
R* sure does know how to play the hype machine. When do they roll out that awful lawyer to spout on about how this game will turn everyone into deviants? He's hilarious.