Turn Your Dead Space 2 Plasma Cutter Into a Real Weapon!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Turn Your Dead Space 2 Plasma Cutter Into a Real Weapon!

If you've ever wanted to turn your toy space gun into a legitimately dangerous weapon, the internet is here to tell you how.

One of the coolest bits of special edition swag to come along in recent months has to be replica plasma cutter packed in with the Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Collectors-Playstation-3/dp/B0047ODJAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304701582&sr=8-4]. Although not exactly full size, it's a pretty accurate rendition of the best gun in the game and even sports four colored LEDs, giving it a modicum of practicality as the world's nerdiest flashlight.

But an LED isn't going to do any damage to anything; for that, you'll need an upgrade. To lasers. Now I don't know much about lasers but I do know that they come with warning labels and I strongly suspect that this hack, which includes replacing the standard 650nm diodes with "high-power" units, completely disregards those labels and anything else resembling safety or common sense.

But I must concede that the final result is pretty damn awesome. Aside from looking ridiculously cool [and "realistic"], this new-and-improved plasma cutter packs enough punch to pop balloons and light matches with just a brief burst of fire. That's my kind of toy!

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
As Dr.Freeman so lovely puts it ;)

Even if it's "low powered" and can only destroy balloons and light matches...that's pretty awesome...I want one too.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Proof that you don't need Power Nodes to upgrade the plasma cutter.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
That's actually pretty dang cool. Especially that the modding was rather simple. I was expecting a slew of parts to get put into the shell.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Damn, lasers are just so damn awesome, you can't beat them.
And this thing looked really neat, and though I haven't played Dead Space 1 or 2, I'd still like to get my hands on such a cool thingy.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
That is AWESOME. And I've never even played Dead Space, but the look of those lasers is pretty badass. I wish I had the technical knowledge to put something like this together.

And I have to subscribe to that guy.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
But an LED isn't going to do any damage to anything; for that, you'll need an upgrade. To lasers.
Did anyone else hear Cave Johnson's voice when they read this bit?

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Why shouldn't we aim the lasers into the sky? It's not like there's anything up there that they can hit...