Valve: Portal's Chell is Silent Because It's Funnier

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve: Portal's Chell is Silent Because It's Funnier

Valve writer Erik Wolpaw recently explained why Chell, much like Gordon Freeman, is a silent protagonist.

Portal [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES], two of Valve's most popular franchises, both star silent protagonists. According to Erik Wolpaw, in each game this is probably for a very different reason. He explains that in Portal, Chell is silent because it makes the game funnier.

At a recent NYU lecture [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109685-Valve-Writer-Erik-Wolpaw-Divulging-Portal-2-Secrets-at-NYU], Wolpaw said: "There's this thing with comedy, there's sort of two different patterns. One is, you're the straight man in a world gone mad, and the other one is you're a crazy person in a sort of straight world. Portal is definitely the world gone mad straight man, and the straight man is you. And again, because you have to write in the margins in a game, time is at a premium, so the fact that there's already this established thing where you have a silent protagonist, that saves us a lot of time. You may want to know Chell's backstory, you may want to hear her say things, but I guarantee, if she had to say her straight man lines at the expense of half of the other dialogue, it would suck."

Wolpaw doesn't feel that people are actually invested in Chell as a character, and instead relate to the game world through her shell as themselves. Wolpaw admits that Chell can definitely talk, but added: "She just chooses not to, what with the robots all being dicks. Why give them the satisfaction?"

If you were hoping that more about Chell would be revealed in Portal 3, you might want to stop hoping. Wolpaw said that Chell's been through a lot after the events of Portal and Portal 2, and Valve just might "let her have her day" rather than bring her back again. At this point that's probably a good idea, because I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of different ideas about what her personality is like by now. She could be a total ass, and that'd be a letdown.

The other most interesting tidbit that came out of the lecture was on a puzzle mechanic called "F-Stop," originally slated to replace portals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103389-Portal-2-Originally-Lacked-Portals]. Valve worked on "F-Stop" for 6 months, but shelved it to bring portals back. Wolpaw didn't describe exactly what "F-Stop" was, though the term refers to a light regulating factor in photography also called the aperture setting (Aperture Science, get it?). He revealed that Valve may decided to use it in a future title.

So basically, if Valve is working on Portal 3, it could feature some "F-Stop" action along with a brand new protagonist. And he/she will probably be silent, because it makes for a better game where a sentient AI, or other disembodied voice, insults you.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/so-heres-something-pretentious-anecdotes-and-thoughts-from-erik-wolpaws-portal-2-discussion-at-the-nyu-game-center/3148/]

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Awwww, that's a little disappointing, although I suppose I'll have to play Portal 2 before I can make any real judgement. :p
Also, that F-Stop sounds like it could be pretty fun to play with. :D

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I just like the fact they Confirm she can talk to other people but she just dosen't wanna give in.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Wolpaw doesn't feel that people are actually invested in Chell as a character, and instead relate to the game world through her shell as themselves. Wolpaw admits that Chell can definitely talk, but added: "She just chooses not to, what with the robots all being dicks. Why give them the satisfaction?"
Exactly. Why give them the satisfaction when you can just jump? Especially when the reaction from the robot when you do is so hilarious.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
See, I don't mind this kind of silent protagonist. She's choosing not to talk for whatever reason, that gives her personality. Pretending she does talk and that I'm supposed to fill in the blanks doesn't.

It works perfectly fine in Chell's case, because GLaDOS treats Chell like she's not saying anything. Because she's not. And... I'm sure you all get it.

Apr 28, 2008
I guess thats a good reason for keeping her silent. Still though, silent protagonists annoy the hell out of me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Dr. wonderful said:
I just like the fact they Confirm she can talk to other people but she just dosen't wanna give in.
Same here, it's a hell of a lot better than what I thought up. I just thought that they were forcing her to be silent, with science!

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Thank you for setting this straight. It puzzles me that people take certain things seriously when it's obviously meant to be a mean spirited jab at Chell. Though I hope we learn more about her, I find her more interesting than Gordon, though they have pretty much explained her backstory enough.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Hella lot better than Freeman. For all we know, he is still a freaking mute.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I disagree with the brain damage thing, I figured it was more like:

"Well, I COULD say something, but I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't magnify my problems fourfold!" Calling Glados a dick or even agreeing prolly wouldn't help.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Disappointing...I was hoping Portal 3 would reveal Chell's backstory by giving her a voice and surrogate daddy issues with a male-voiced Overlord AI...

oh yeah that's a wonderful idea I don't see why Valve wouldn't do it!

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone have any more information on this F-light thing?
OT: Chell had to be silent in the first game in order to stop the player from realising too early that there really was a proper story going on, which was all part of the experience.

It would be too jarring to just add a voice in for the 2nd game...