Stolen Pixels #257: The Electronic Artists

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #257: The Electronic Artists

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite evasive answer on the Citadel.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
There's a reasonably easy way to tell what's going to happen.

A Big Company that makes its success out of annual titles to a large scale audience wants to tweak the product of a company that produces successful titles to a small scale audience.

It's not even science to predict that will mean removing elements that the large scale audience would find difficult to comprehend, and replacing them with things that the large scale audience like.

When they also say they want the game to be more like CoD; and we see the transition of characters in sequels, it's not hard to think that this will be Tits In, Thinky Out.

Because if you were going to change a best-selling piece of media to be available to a larger market, what would you do?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh c'mon Shamus, you too? a bit early to whine, and this comes from a guy who tends to voice complaints pretty loudly (but there's a line between that and whining!)

haha but anyway...why is it that the bottom dialogue choices are what I'd totally say?
oh wait, uh oh...
thinking, not saying heh

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Well, Mass Effect 1 was a great game all around. Mass Effect 2 was also a great game all around. The odds are in favor of Mass Effect 3 being a great game all around.

Well, higher than Dragon Age 3, anyway.

Still, a fun strip.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I hereby predict, using the mystical powers of my crystal ball, that this comment thread will contain large portions of whining, nerdrage and fanboyism is a variety of interesting flavours.

Oh yeah, wasn't there a comic here somewhere? That was pretty funny too.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
I can't believe I'm saying these words, but I have literally no desire to play Mass Effect 3. Unbelievable. I actually have no desire to play a Bioware game.

kelevra

Sep 4, 2010
I'm with Shamus. Entirely.

Chadling said:
I can't believe I'm saying these words, but I have literally no desire to play Mass Effect 3. Unbelievable. I actually have no desire to play a Bioware game.
And as much as it hurts, I agree.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Chadling said:
I'm calling them "Nu-Bioware" now. Let's face it, it's not like this is the same group of people that made KOTOR anymore. It's time to stop expecting the same standard of quality from what is obviously a very different group of people with obviously different priorities.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
who knows anything?? no one....aagghhhhh late night on the internet isnt good for my health

Im just blocking my ears on this one...Im not lettign anyone else ruin ME3 like they did DA2 for me

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
I would have challeged her to a game of Halo.
HankMan said:
So has Bioware gone Renegade with the final installment?
Or will Mass Effect 3 be a Paragon of excellence in Gaming?
Only time will tell.
Stop that!

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Different = good.I thought you wanted that.Let's just cater to the niche instead of everyone enjoying it.And then you want your friends to play ME.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
Chadling said:
I'm calling them "Nu-Bioware" now. Let's face it, it's not like this is the same group of people that made KOTOR anymore. It's time to stop expecting the same standard of quality from what is obviously a very different group of people with obviously different priorities.
what was wrong with ME2 anyway? plus DA2 werent by the same people.....

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, Shamus, for the guy I consider to be the most truthful and reasonable contributor on this site, you dislike EA way too much and your disdain for them seems highly irrational at times.

Also, Mass Effect 3 being kick ass is not likely to have anything to do with the RPG elements they decide to include.
BloodSquirrel said:
...a very different group of people with obviously different priorities.
They're a company. Their priority is, for as long as they're an actual video game company, their games selling. It always was their priority. It always will be their priority.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I actually preferred ME2 to ME1 because it wasn't as ludicrously convoluted. Ok, that might be a stretch, but I am tired of going through 3 inventories worth of crap weapons and armor to find one that actually helped me live.
RPG's should be fun, not a timesink in which the quest for stats is the penultimate goal. Thats what MMO raids are for.

Apr 28, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Still gonna be great.

Quit crying, people. At least until you've actually played it.
So... we can only say how much we're looking forward to it and that it'll be great, but we can't say that we're worried how it'll turn out?