Valve Outgrows Its "Episodes Phase"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Outgrows Its "Episodes Phase"

Gabe Newell says Valve [http://www.valvesoftware.com] is over its "episodes phase" and is now focused on creating games as platforms that can be constantly updated and evolved through Steam, with very short development cycles.

It's a fact that Valve makes awesome games. It's also a fact that historically, the studio has taken it's own sweet time about it. The episodic system that debuted with the release of Half-Life 2: Episode One [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Episode-One-Pc/dp/B000CQIDTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304953586&sr=8-1] was meant to address the issue of overlong waits between releases, but from a gamer's point of view that hasn't exactly worked out to perfection. But that concept is now out the window, replaced with an approach that treats "entertainment as a service."

"We went through the episodes phase, and now we're going towards shorter and even shorter cycles," Newell explained in an interview with Team Fortress 2 [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37625/Newell-Weve-moved-beyond-the-episodic-model], that's what we now think is the best model for what we've been doing. Our updates and release model keeps on getting shorter and shorter."

"Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304953686&sr=8-1]? We'll have to see how much our customers want us to push in that direction," he continued. "In general, our approach to our customers is, every day, to ask what we can do for them."

The inspiration for this approach came from the mod community, according to Valve co-founder Robin Walker, who noted that releases like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat and Garry's Mod were all regularly and frequently updated by their creators. "And when you realize that these were the most popular mods and see that they update all the time, you think, yeah, maybe there's something remarkably valuable in building your product iteratively in front of your own customers."

Valve isn't necessarily walking away from major, multi-year projects, however. "I think you'll still see projects from us that are huge in scale," Newell said, "simply because we have the ability to do that."

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
...So, this means that episode 3 is half life 3? Or does this mean it will be 1/2 1/2 life?

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
In Valve speak it means "IT'S NEVER COMING OUT, HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA *strokes a white cat*".

beema

Aug 19, 2009

I think this was pretty obvious, considering it's been four goddamned years since their last episode.
DERP DERP

Come on Valve, we aren't stupid.

I think there's something to be said for full, complete, polished releases. This constant-update stuff just smacks of laziness a lot of the time. It can also become very obnoxious, as in the case of TF2, which doesn't even seem like the same game it started as.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
nyttyn said:
...So, this means that episode 3 is half life 3? Or does this mean it will be 1/2 1/2 life?
I think he's saying there will be a, lets say, Half-life 3 and it will come out as a full game with updates every few months or so. Maybe testing stuff like the L4D2 mutations thing.

Boombox2003

Nov 15, 2008
Well at least Gabe is coming out and telling everyone whats going on, it makes a change from trying to interpret valve time.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
ok, so hl3 is gona come out with a bunch of free DLC released after the launch

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yeah Valve I think we got that already when you defeated the entire purpose of episodic gaming by not releasing Episode 3 within a year after Episode 2.

And yes Valve, Portal 2 customers will want you to go the TF2 route. Keep the co-op playable!

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Makes a change from Gabe ranting about something, we all love that.

Seriously though, the ongoing development cycle model works if done properly, look at minecraft or hell, even WoW.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
...So no more Gordon Freeman, then? Or just no Episode 3? Or will Episode 3 be the last episode?

They should become politicians, they say so little with so many words.

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
Although I'd love to interpret this as meaning we're getting Half-Life 3 instead of Episode 3 as I've predicted for a while, it could just as easily simply mean that Episode 3 is the last episodic game they will have ever made. If it's the latter though, this still seems to imply that Episode 3 is done or at least almost done.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Valve has decided to stop releasing episodic games? Well, that certainly explains a few things :p

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
That's fine, but it'd be nice if you went ahead and released episode 3. Also, you might want to avoid sounding too self-satisfied regarding your "acceleration of the cycle". Most people would disagree that you've accelerated things.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Either he will pull a half-life rabbit out of his hat soon or he has a different understanding of community service than most forums I've seen.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well this pretty much confirms Half-Life 3 and no Episode 3.
Also
Team Fortress 2 is the fastest frequency we work on with comparatively fast updates. Er, Half-Life is apparently the slowest! [Laughs] Although, from the outside world, we have no evidence that Half-Life is working on any frequency at all. [Laughs]
Yeah I can't really laugh about this Gabe but at least he also confirms that they are working on it on a certain frequency, unfortunately we don't know what frequency that exactly is.
Anyway, I agree with him. Just look at Minecraft, it's the perfect example.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
.... JUST GIVE US THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF HALF LIFE BLAST YOU!!!!! What ever the fek your going to call it. I don't care, just give s it!!!!