PS3 Brink Release On Schedule As Launch Trailer Hits the Tubes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PS3 Brink Release On Schedule As Launch Trailer Hits the Tubes

As the official Brink [http://www.amazon.com/Brink-Playstation-3/dp/B002DC8GKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304960509&sr=8-2] launch trailer begins to make the rounds, Bethesda says the PlayStation 3 version of the game will release on schedule regardless of the state of the PlayStation Network.

There's not much new to see in the launch trailer for Brink, Bethesda's team-based shooter about the battle for a crumbling utopia known as the Ark. It's fast-paced gunplay, parkour-style moves and a very strong Mirror's Edge [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304960545&sr=8-1], perhaps not the most original idea in the world but undeniably sexy.

[video=3187]

Brink will feature a single-player component but the focus is clearly on multiplayer, which naturally leads to questions about the PlayStation 3 version of the game. The PlayStation Network remains down thanks to a mid-April attack by hackers and without PSN, online play is simply not an option. Nonetheless, Bethesda confirmed with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-09-ps3-brink-release-unaffected-by-psn-hack] today that the game is going out on schedule no matter what the Sony situation. "We're still going ahead with launch this week," a rep said.

Brink comes out on May 10 - yes, that's tomorrow - for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully it'll be able to stand on the single player. But looking at the focus of it, I doubt it.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
But from what I have read, your character is integrated...so, they can release it all they want, I just doubt many will buy it on PS3. I know I'm not going to.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Looks pretty solid a game. Thank goodness game companies seem to have lost their brown pallette finally. Or at least in Bethesda's case knowing it is better on rusty containers than on the skybox.
This will definitely be a call to Sony to get their shit in gear and get PSN back up. I know they want to put in better protections but they better be burning the midnight oil over there.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
ARRRGH. Why must it not come out till the 13th here!? I need it NOW.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Who the hell is still buying Bethesda games for the ps3 anyway?!
I learned my lesson.
If I'm ever curious about a Bethesda game again, I'll be getting it on the PC.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I like what I see. Finally a peek into the story and it looks interesting. I'm getting it, PC or PS3, leaning towards PC because better price but I would get it for the PS3 given the chance too. I like how your dedicated to one faction from the start, character customization looks promising, guns look interesting, I'm saying that this does average at the worst. The color palette is one of the better ones I've seen since Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time.
I just hope that the freerunning elements won't be abused.
From what I'm seeing with this game from developer videos and previews, Splash Damage did put work into this. I wish the best for them.

Dec 14, 2009
Even if PSN wasn't down, I'm still getting it on the 360, simply because the controller is better designed for shooters. PS3 sticks are in the wrong place for accurate movement and the triggers are absolutely terrible.

Also, that is some slammin' trailer music.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
How is this news? PSN will be back online eventually, so why would they delay the release date and cause more problems? Even if it is focused on multiplayer, it will be up eventually, dont see what the hubub is all about.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I really don't get the hype surrounding this game. I mean it looks okay, but nothing overly unique or amazing. Seems very similar to TF2 actually.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
I really like that they finally made a gameplay video that emphasizes the parkour style shoot outs in this game. Its kind of like what Mirror's Edge was supposed to be.
I will be picking this up, even with PSN down.

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
I followed this religiously for a few months, though I stopped before release came closer.

"Hopefully it'll be able to stand on the single player. But looking at the focus of it, I doubt it."

They've integrated the single/multi-player experiences so you use the same character with the same perks/stats in either version. You will essentially be levelling your character up "offline" so for people who don't have the 'net at their house but take their profile over to a friends to get their online fix this should provide an adequate reason to purchase the game.

The story-arc having two sides adds a bit of replay value, since both have character customisations specific to them not to mention the actual cut-scenes/story that will pertain to each faction.

I believe most will look at Brink and see another shooter which is a shame, if a community forms around it I could really see this as being the start of the push towards something "new" in the genre. Over at GameInformer there was a user posting about how innovation cannot be done in the FPS genre anymore, and I refuse to believe that.

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
The way they've sectioned off different level gaps/sets will be interesting to try - I'm tired of Gears's TruSkill equalling high levels playing with lower ones.

Segregation can be good sometimes, and this is one of those.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HankMan said:
I am happy for single player option.
It gives me a chance to polish-up on an A.I. before going online to get my ass handed to me by bunch of homophobic 12 year olds
Doubtful... once those homophobic 12 year olds realize it isnt COD or Halo, they abandon it like hipsters dump fashion.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Even if PSN wasn't down, I'm still getting it on the 360, simply because the controller is better designed for shooters. PS3 sticks are in the wrong place for accurate movement and the triggers are absolutely terrible.
Who shoots with the triggers anyway? I use the bumpers for that, better for tapping. Triggers for reloading and grenades. I like the PS3's sticks smoothness compared to the 360 ones though. Went back to the 360 after a while of playing my PS3 (before the 360 died), and damn they were tough.

Then again, I'm getting it on neither. Time to put this new gaming rig of mine to work.
Technicolor said:
I really like that they finally made a gameplay video that emphasizes the parkour style shoot outs in this game. Its kind of like what Mirror's Edge was supposed to be.
Actually no, Mirror's Edge was never about parkour shoot outs. It was just about parkour.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
Bad move, Bethesda, no one's gonna buy Brink for the single player, and by the time the PSN is back up Brink will likely have dropped in price
It doesn't make sense to delay the PC and XBox 360 released because PSN is down.

I suspect the single player will still be fun but I tend to play defense in these games and that probably doesn't work well in single player.