Game Lets You Kill Bin Laden Again and Again (and Again...)

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Game Lets You Kill Bin Laden Again and Again (and Again...)

The final episode of KumaWar II, a free online military shooter, lets players lead the raid on bin Laden's Pakistan home and fire the final bullet.

What's most remarkable about the game is that it was released five days after the news broke, capitalizing on citizens' blood lust for the notorious Al-Qaeda leader. Developer Kuma Games is used to this, being that the it releases weekly content based on new TV shows, world events and pop culture trends.

"Methodically working your way through the large compound, you clear the opposing forces, take out al Qaeda's last defense, clear weapons caches, and gather critical intel," reads the press release [http://www.kumagames.com/osama_2011.html] for the Osama 2011 mission. "When the smoke clears, your ultimate target -- Osama Bin Laden, murderer of thousands of Americans and innocents around the globe, head of al Qaeda and enemy of the world lays dead."

In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, Kuma Games CEO Keith Halper said his team pieced together the mission based on public sources. Everything from the furniture of the home to the sounds of dogs barking outside was considered in making the mission. Coders and designers updated the map as details came in on the event, according to the press release.

"Bin Laden was a bad man, and people feel relieved that he is gone," Halper said. "To be able to recreate his death is just an added bonus."

He believes Americans want closure on Bin Laden's death, in lieu of photos being released. However, this isn't the first time players have been able to dish out some patriotic rage on the renowned terrorist. 2002 PlayStation 2 title Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror let players take down Osama via hand-to-hand combat. The beatdown culminates in a knee to the groin as Osama lands in a helicopter hovering over a Cliffside - the words "mission accomplished" flash on the screen.

The controversial Postal is particularly fond of turning Osama into a virtual punching (bullet?) bag. All of the terrorist models in Postal II look awfully familiar and the yet-to-be-releasedPostal III is set to feature Osama as a character. On top of all this, there have been numerous user-made Osama character models for online shooters since his name became known on 09/11.

The reaction to the game's release has been split between those that find it tasteless and those who think it is an interesting representation of what might have occurred.

"Claiming historical accuracy when the details are still not widely known and heavily contested is pretty poor," evilthecat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.282240-Poll-Bin-laden-death-in-Video-game?page=3#11071027], a user on our forums, said. "Heck, its pretty poor taste to cash in on a recent death anyway."

What do the rest of you think?

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/osama-bin-laden-video-game-186265]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I can understand both sides to this debate. I'm a bit indifferent to be perfectly honest.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Really couldnt care less, wont pay for it, wont play it. If development time was a week....really dont expect much. No-Go if you ask me as a gamer. As a human being....i still dont care....really, this is what capitalism is, cashing in on anything and everything.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
allistairp said:
However, this isn't the first time players have been able to dish out some patriotic rage on the renowned terrorist. 2002 PlayStation 2 title Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror let players take down Osama via hand-to-hand combat.
I remember that game, I think it was called America's Ten Most Wanted or something like that over here.

Played it a friends house, and it was utter shite.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Poor taste to make something about a man's death in war? You mean the poor taste in making military shooters year after year loosely based off historical events?

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Well I would normally say that it's bad to be celebrating someone's death but..

I just spent last night glued to the TV watchign specials on how the attack that killed him happened. XD I'm pretty emotionally invested in this, I'm just really glad he's gone, and INCREDIBLY curious to see how it happened.

So I totally understand this game's existence.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It's less tacky than the people who made songs about 9/11, more tacky than historically based games.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm surprised this offends. The actions taken in real life were kinda offensive, this is just funny.

Reading the title, I thought this was a careers advert for the American police force...

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
On the one hand, making a video game that glorifies the deaths of real life people is somewhat disrespectful and in bad taste considering that we could turn around and say 'what if it was you that was getting killed over and over?'.

Wouldn't be quite so funny or entertaining.

But on the other hand, the individual in question was a wanted terrorist and had strong involvement in violent attacks that killed many so I guess this could be karmactically balanced from that perspective.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
HG131 said:
kurupt87 said:
Tasteless as fuck.
Good thing that tasteless things are normally funny.
I'm a great believer in puerile humour but this just doesn't tickle me at all, and I consider myself pretty good at laughing at horrible things. That Highschool Massacre mod is funnier than this, RapeLay is funnier. "2 girls 1 cup" and its like are funnier.

I guess I just find the idea of revelling in someone's demise, and denegrating it, repulsive. I'm glad the ****'s dead but I feel no compunction to throw a party, the idea is anathema to me.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
qbanknight said:
Poor taste to make something about a man's death in war? You mean the poor taste in making military shooters year after year loosely based off historical events?
no, poor taste to make a game of a man's death before his body has even gone cold.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
No surprise here, the Kuma War Devs constantly release new game-missions based on recent real-life-missions.

Now that they did a (the?) Osama Mission, people suddenly care about.

Cash in? Not really imo. Poor taste? Maybe, but one has to see the bigger picture here.