Commentary on "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Commentary on "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things"

The fourth episode excels in the detail-work but falters in some other areas.

Read Full Article

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
After reading the books, I always thought of a Gendry X Arya pairing down the roads for plenty of reasons including the wish of Robert that the two houses Baratheon and Stark should join, loved the chemistry (if you can call it that) between the two in the second and third book. The actor playing Gendry look old :s

Was glad to see the three-eyed crow as well as HODOR!

-- Still a few chapters in the 4th book ... damn ... I must also say that a lot of the bad guys, even Joffrey are pitiful creatures that didn't turn out OK, because of certain circumstances except for Clegor.

Also, <3'd Ser Hugh as well, " I AM A KNIGHT!!!!" :p

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
What happen to the bucther son from episode 2?

I kind of like him.
He died. From the book, he got chopped in pieces by the hound, then delivered to his pops ( a butcher), to make him think it was a butchered animal. ;)

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
cainx10a said:
Dr. wonderful said:
What happen to the bucther son from episode 2?

I kind of like him.
He died. From the book, he got chopped in pieces by the hound, then delivered to his pops ( a butcher), to make him think it was a butchered animal. ;)
In the actual episode the hound rode him down.

I love this series already. I thought I'd never love again after Lost broke my heart, but I'm ready.

Jan 23, 2009
The end of the episode was really great - like a foreshadow of the inevitable war to come.

I'm not sure if I would have preferred to have read the books beforehand or not, but from what I've seen - I think I'll be compelled to pick them up now.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Ah goddamit, my long-ass post got deleted. Boooo. Ok, summary:

Final scene was melodramatic, but then again, it was one of the cornier scenes in the first book.

The look on Ned's face when he figured out what was going on was just priceless.

Gregor Clegane isn't scary enough. They should have had an epic camera angle shot where they show how big he actually is.

Viserys in the bath tub was actually a good scene considering that it wasn't in the books. The slap fight with Daenerys was pretty awful though, looked like something from a reality tv show.

Jaime and Peter Baelish are still the best actors so far. I'm warming to Sansa (big fan of hers in the book, I'm hoping the fifth book has more of her storyline, she has a potentially epic arc), and Arya is also pretty awesome.

John Snow acts way too stiff. Among the main characters, he's been the most disappointing for me so far. He comes across not at all like the person in the books. Too brooding, too serious.

Glad to see Theon getting some screen time. I liked him a lot in the books... until... well... you know.

EDIT: oh wow, my first post did go through. And my follow-up was longer than the original.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Spectrum_Prez said:
John Snow acts way too stiff. Among the main characters, he's been the most disappointing for me so far. He comes across not at all like the person in the books. Too brooding, too serious.

Glad to see Theon getting some screen time. I liked him a lot in the books... until... well... you know.

EDIT: oh wow, my first post did go through. And my follow-up was longer than the original.
I honestly think Jon's actor and personality are great, the wall is no summer camp, and things will get harder for him.

And Theon ... screw him ... ASHA!!!! ;)

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Spectrum_Prez said:
Ah goddamit, my long-ass post got deleted. Boooo. Ok, summary:

Final scene was melodramatic, but then again, it was one of the cornier scenes in the first book.

The look on Ned's face when he figured out what was going on was just priceless.

Gregor Clegane isn't scary enough. They should have had an epic camera angle shot where they show how big he actually is.

Viserys in the bath tub was actually a good scene considering that it wasn't in the books. The slap fight with Daenerys was pretty awful though, looked like something from a reality tv show.

Jaime and Peter Baelish are still the best actors so far. I'm warming to Sansa (big fan of hers in the book, I'm hoping the fifth book has more of her storyline, she has a potentially epic arc), and Arya is also pretty awesome.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hated Sansa in the book, Arya Stark is where it's all at.

OT: I'm actually glad they aren't using simple exposition to fill up the space, I mean, they could have very easily spent 5-10 min telling us about Theon Greyjoy, but they chose to give us only a fleeting look, just like like--initially--in the Novel.

All-in-all, I'm quiet excited about the show, but I'm sure we can do without the romanticism surrounding the Dothraki.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
While I agree on the nudity (and the contemporary swearing... I mean honestly... it's jarring), it really doesn't add anything to the narrative, the bath rub scene was actually very interesting to me, it added some much needed information to someone who hasn't read the books. I was debating if the Dragon were actually something that existed or a myth, and the eggs and blades, etc, were all other objects just given that name to increase the value, now thanks to that scene we were told point blank, yes they did exist. And beyond that it established Blond-Whiny-Git's family actually ruled for a fairly long time.

I hope they expand Khal Drogo's role soon, I want to know more about him and his people, I've got this feeling they are going to be very important to the plot soon enough, and if they don't develop them ahead of time for us new comers it wont have the same impact that the book readers will feel.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
cainx10a said:
I honestly think Jon's actor and personality are great, the wall is no summer camp, and things will get harder for him.

Regarding Jon (not John? Need to reread books sometime soon), it's not his response to his environment that comes off flat, it's his basic personality that is problematic.

This is the guy who inspires great loyalty in his friends, and later assumes a command position because his peers see a leader in him. He is pretty easy going, charming, and has a quick mind. I just don't see that as the same person on screen right now.

As for Theon... I was disappointed with the direction his character took in the books. That first Asha chapter with him was hilarious though. It get's even better- *scratch that* ALL sex scenes in the books get a lot more hilarious when you imagine the old, bearded George RR Martin writing them.

Giest4life said:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hated Sansa in the book, Arya Stark is where it's all at.
The thing is, Martin likes putting weird twists on obvious story lines.

If you've read book 4, you know that Arya's story line takes a twist for the cruel. But at the same time, Sansa is pretty much being groomed by Peter Baelish to be the next Cersei (at the same time that Cersei is going stark raving mad... which is a descent into lazy writing I am not all too happy with).

Arya has the stereotypical rebellious female role-rejecting vengeful daughter thing going (very Leon here), but I get the feeling that Martin is going to throw her for a loop. She'll probably get a 'mission' to kill off Jon Snow or her sister.

And Sansa, who is the bitchy girl who can't see past her own two feet and would get cut up for the fishes in most fiction (see 99% of all horror movies), gets this awesome slow awakening to the fact that she's been horrible to the world and has the means to make a difference. She's getting passed from one man to another, but she's just about to crest the ridge and realize she can take control of her life and avenge her father. That's why I think she's as interesting as Arya, even though her character is supposed to be super annoying and easy to hate in the first book.

Actually, it's sort of a parallel with Jaime's storyline, in the sense that they both finally realize that they can and should do better.
The only problem I have with Jaime right now is that he's getting a little too much screen time. He's supposed to be one of the Big Bads for the first book or so, there's too much of him and Cersei right now. To do the perspective 'twist' properly, he has to be difficult to like and a bit of a mystery.

So, to summarize the spoilered bit for those who haven't read the books: Sansa gets more interesting as the story progresses and while Arya is still awesome, Sansa is also worth paying attention to.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Spectrum_Prez said:
cainx10a said:

Regarding Jon (not John? Need to reread books sometime soon), it's not his response to his environment that comes off flat, it's his basic personality that is problematic.

This is the guy who inspires great loyalty in his friends, and later assumes a command position because his peers see a leader in him. He is pretty easy going, charming, and has a quick mind. I just don't see that as the same person on screen right now.

The name is Jon, like Jon Arryn I guess.

Well, let's look it this way, how many time did he smile or burst out laughing with Sam, Green and Pyp --- his super best friend team :p --- don't really see him as all this extreme brooding character ;) ... and too be honest I also loved Ser Alister interaction with him on both counts in this episode ... I really hated that douche while reading the book

As for Theon... I was disappointed with the direction his character took in the books. That first Asha chapter with him was hilarious though. It get's even better- *scratch that* ALL sex scenes in the books get a lot more hilarious when you imagine the old, bearded George RR Martin writing them.

Sea ***** / 'Pregnant' shipwright wife ;P ... Yeah ... I really have a hard time keeping a straight face while reading the sexual encounters ... Arys and Arianne was just gold :p Those kingsguard and night's watch dude, despite all of their vows of abstinance, can't resist getting some action ... i hate them :p

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
tkioz said:
While I agree on the nudity (and the contemporary swearing... I mean honestly... it's jarring), it really doesn't add anything to the narrative
The only "non contemporary swearing" George R. R. Martin used in the book was "The Others take your X", the rest where all fucks, shits, and arses.

My girlfriend hasn't read the books, but she is really getting into the story and is picking up on the subtleties very quickly, like Robert's bastards and Deany's rise in the khalasar.

Also, she loves Arya, come to think of it, my gf is very Arya-ish.

Also
I'm kinda sad that we won't really see the magic side of Ice and Fire until the second season at the earliest :( (judging by the books)

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Speaking as a person who hasn't read the books, I'd say yeah, the bath scene was pandering, but note that just moments later Sansa is taught a different, entirely mundane origin of the Iron Throne. I'm guessing "history is written by the victor" is going to be major theme here.

Also, I'm developing a mancrush on Petyr Baelish.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Did anyone else Squeal like a little girl when Doreah mentioned Dragonglass daggers and a face-changing man? ^^ Or the name drop of Thoros Of Myr?

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
plugav said:
Also, I'm developing a mancrush on Petyr Baelish.

Yeah same here. I honestly never found the character that interesting in the books, but man Aidan Gillen just oozes cool in every scene he's in.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Game Of Thrones Drinking Game:

Rule One: Any time the words 'Lord', 'Whore' or 'Bastard' are uttered; drink.

That is all.