Call of Duty: Black Ops: More Addictive Than Facebook

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Call of Duty: Black Ops: More Addictive Than Facebook

Call of Duty: Black Ops is not just the best-selling game of all time, it's apparently also more addictive than Facebook.

I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg would take issue with that headline, but if you believe Activision Blizzard's newly-released quarterly earnings report, it's the truth.

Black Ops' claim to the "Best Selling Game of All Time" title [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108410-NPD-Declares-Black-Ops-the-Best-Selling-Game-Ever] is nothing new, but the document's "Business Highlights" section reads like a bullet list of the game's greatest achievements.

To wit: During the first quarter, Call of Duty: Black Ops "players have spent an average of 58 minutes per day playing online, exceeding the 55 minutes the average user spends per day on Facebook."

Additionally, Activision Blizzard claims that the game's playerbase was 33% greater than that of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 during the same stretch of its lifespan, and that the First Strike DLC pack attracted 20% more downloads than MW2's Stimulus Pack. Incidentally, that First Strike pack also managed to sell a bewildering 1.4 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability on Xbox Live alone.

What does this mean for you, the consumer? If history is any indication, it means you're in for at least a few more years of Call of Duty sequels, spin-offs and anything else that might be made lucrative by sharing the brand. Activision Blizzard is nothing if not thorough, and if there's money to be made by serving up military-themed gunplay every year, you better believe that's what it'll do.

Source: Activision Blizzard Quarterly Earnings Report [http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=575495]

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yes! Suck it haters! Nothing can stop the juggernaut that is CoD.

Sorry about that its just I really like the franchise and I'm happy to see it succeed. But seriously it looks like nothing can possibly top Black Ops.

*cue the shitstorm of CoD hate*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ah well.

Just so long as there's still people making... y'know, other stuff, then I'm happy to leave the CoD crowd to their fun.

Live and let live and whatnot.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I wish they would take into account the PC stats into their whole bragging cause it says otherwise. MW2 consistently has a lot more players than Black Ops, because you know Black Ops kinda sucks for the PC...

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Meh, I never saw the appeal of either.

CoD is a playpen for little kids and Facebook.. well... social networking is pretty stupid in general, really.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Good for it. I'm sure this means only good things for the industry and not another wave of modern war shooters, increases in gaming prices, or even higher inflated costs for small bundles of dlc.

Let the good times roll.

morotorno

Jul 28, 2010
and here was I, thinking naïvely that TF2 was the most addictive game of all time.

also, funny how activision blizzard own WoW and SC as well... they're pretty addictive too :D

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Zhukov said:
Ah well.

Just so long as there's still people making... y'know, other stuff, then I'm happy to leave the CoD crowd to their fun.

Live and let live and whatnot.
Yup, this. As long as everyone stops trying making CoD clones (except Battlefield and anything by Valve).

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Holy crap, no CoD hate in the comments thread? That makes me pretty happy, fellas.

OT: And well-deserving of that title. Does it work well? Hell no. Is it fun and addictive? Oh, yeah.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
Funnily enough, this is the one CoD game I didn't like because the graphics reminded me of my days of doing meth...
I noticed, when playing it with my friend, that the graphics fell more squarely into the uncanny valley than any other game I had ever played. It actually made me feel sort of woozy.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Armored Prayer said:
Yes! Suck it haters! Nothing can stop the juggernaut that is CoD.

Sorry about that its just I really like the franchise and I'm happy to see it succeed. But seriously it looks like nothing can possibly top Black Ops.

*cue the shitstorm of CoD hate*
Oh no, there are many games that top Black Ops, they're just all unheard of, because alot of the people you find on Call of Duty only know Call of Duty.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
I'd say it isn't Facebook itself that is interesting, rather friends, and what they have to say/show. The same applies to CoD. It isn't the fact it is Call of Duty, it's the fact you're abusing people after a long hard day of work while shooting them and getting numbers pop up on the screen to give you a sense of achievement. The formula could be emulated, and has, but like Facebook, having more friends that use it makes it more appealing then jumping on some obscure networking site with no interaction. No point playing a game online if you're the only one in the lobby. Publicity helped this.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
I hate it when people end or begin their post with "don't flame me" or "*flame shield up*".
Don't burn me about it.

It sucks that CoD goes by the same strategy of Guitar Hero but is still such a huge success.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
no shit. it's why my i have to forcibly take my OWN xbox away just so i can play some GOOD games once in awhile :mad:

Alon Shechter said:
I hate it when people end or begin their post with "don't flame me" or "*flame shield up*".
Don't burn me about it.

It sucks that CoD goes by the same strategy of Guitar Hero but is still such a huge success.
well, there's only so many rock songs and overly-expensive peripherals people are willing to buy, and when they don't all import, there are big problems there

Noble Cookie said:
alot of the people you find on Call of Duty only know Call of Duty.
quoted for truth