New Street Fighter Motion Comic Movie Coming In August

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
New Street Fighter Motion Comic Movie Coming In August

In what is hopefully a final admission that live-action Street Fighter films just don't work, Capcom and Eagle One Media have joined forces to release a "motion comic movie" based on the beloved fighting game.

Due for release in August, Street Fighter: The New Challengers seemingly focuses on the Super Street Fighter II-era of the series' canon, with a bit of Sakura thrown in to appease the swath of fans who otherwise might develop confusing feelings toward Ryu.

Here, just read the official synopsis for yourself:

The epic Street Fighter saga continues as Ryu begins his journey around the world, Cammy's quest to discover her past takes a number of unexpected turns, Chun-Li's investigation into Shadaloo takes her from the depths of the Hong Kong underworld to the jungles of Brazil, and Ken must contend with a vengeful Vega who wants nothing but to turn Ken's wedding shower into a bloodbath. Many familiar faces from the Street Fighter universe return including US Special Ops Guile and the spunky and determined schoolgirl Sakura, while fan-favorites such as Fei-Long, Gen, Balrog, Blanka, and Delta Red team make their debut.

I'm all for digging into the frighteningly detailed background [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583625-street-fighter/faqs/26094] of Capcom's flagship fighter, but honestly I'm not entirely sold on the "motion comic" gimmick. The art itself is quite pretty, but when all the characters look like paper dolls brought to life via eldritch wizardry, it ruins any suspension of disbelief I might've had.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2011/05/09/new_street_fighter_motion_comic_dvd_out_in_august]

standokan

May 28, 2009
My opinion is that you can't make a good movie out of a crappy story, making movies out of beat'm up games doesn't work because they don't have any story.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
I actually LIKE the Street Fighter movie with Van Damme and Kylie Minogue. I have no idea why everyone hates it, I think it's quite a fun action packed film with an interesting twist to the story (Charlie being transformed into Blanka by Bison). Also, Julia is absolutely brilliant as Bison. I always enjoy watching it. Legend of Chun Li is horribly bad though.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Kind of disliking the animation here. I mean its pretty looking and well done, but the animation kept bugging me. Looked like some semi advanced flash you see on something like Newgrounds.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Armored Prayer said:
Kind of disliking the animation here. I mean its pretty looking and well done, but the animation kept bugging me. Looked like some semi advanced flash you see on something like Newgrounds.
I agreed. While I up for more Street Fighter animated stuff but this webcomic look too flash looking for its movement. I mean compared this to recent Marvel webcomics and also that Black Panther animated show (well ok that wasn't a web comic but it did look like one).

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Wait, that style of animation is being done by a professional company? Seriously? It's bad flash level of animation, complete with creepy stop motion robot movements and heads changing size with the expression. Don't even get me started on their attempt at lip-syncing here either, because simply 'bad' is not a strong enough word...

I'll admit that it looks good when paused though, but as soon as someone moves, it just kills this for me, I can't even pay attention to the story through it.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Is there anybody here who actually likes motion comics? I can't stand to look at them. I guess the appeal is you can make something on the cheap and still have actors dramatizing the lines. But the production values are so poor that I feel insulted at the offering. They always come off as cheap and questionable properties. The animation is horrible to watch and insults the audience's sense of taste.

Also, Where's the rail Tracer when you need him?

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
I don't remember evry character in that game being Britsih...,not that I have an issue with that, in fact it makes things better.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'd be more than inclined to watch if it didn't look like something from Gaiaonline.

I know that's kind of a petty, superficial gripe, but honestly, either you're making an animated feature (which, to be fair the Street Fighter Animated movies are brilliant) or you're making a comic book.

You can't do a mix of both. This is evidence as to why.

Props to them for trying it out though.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
For a second there I thought that some people were into that motion comic movie thing, then I read the posts above and laughed. For me it just looks awful. It may work for cutscenes in games on a small budget but that`s about it.

Sknyjdwb

Jan 18, 2011
Motion Comics are supposed to be moving adaptations of a comic. Check out the Walking Dead mc and you'll see it's straight from the pages of the comic. Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers was amazing. This isn't based on a comic, this is just a horribly animated cartoon using the term motion comic to defend that fact.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
The animation isn't too bad, but what gets me is that it's plastered with Capcom's trademark: horrendous voice acting.

[sub][sub][sub]Also, the British stereotypes, but Capcoms other trademark is racism.[/sub][/sub][/sub]