Disgruntled Anonymous Faction Maliciously Attacks Anonymous

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Disgruntled Anonymous Faction Maliciously Attacks Anonymous

Hacker infighting has begun between two opposing factions of Anonymous members.

While hacker group Anonymous has become known for attacking various musicians [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108949-Sony-Hacker-Lawsuits-Earn-the-Wrath-of-Anonymous-UPDATED], the latest target of the organization is Anonymous itself. Recently, a group of disgruntled Anonymous members split off and seized control of certain Anonymous websites previously used to coordinate operations.

Anonymous is said to be a non-centralized, democratic group of hackers that doesn't have any real generals, just a bunch of soldiers that enact operations based on support by other soldiers. A "rogue admin" named "Ryan" is said to be behind the seizure of these Anonymous sites due to his belief that Anonymous members were taking leadership positions and focusing operations on acquiring media attention.

Speaking to Thinq, Ryan said that certain Anonymous admins such as "Owen" began to abuse their roles, in fact creating a leadership hierarchy where there wasn't supposed to be one. Ryan launched a "coup d'etat" of sorts, taking control of AnonOps.net and AnonOps.ru and also leaking the IP addresses of Anonymous members. "There is a hierarchy. All the power, all the DDoS - it's in that channel," Ryan said.

"The media is part of the problem. It's why AnonOps still exists," Ryan added. He and his supporters believe that Anonymous' power was wasted on "stupid operations" only launched to gain publicity, including PSN downtime [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108949-Sony-Hacker-Lawsuits-Earn-the-Wrath-of-Anonymous-UPDATED]). Ryan hopes that his acts, which have reportedly taken some of Anonymous' power away, will change Anonymous, saying: "More groups will pop up. Probably many different ones. AnonOps just won't be the flagship."

Anonymous members opposed to Ryan deny his claims. "Like the speaker of parliament, we didn't make laws but we ensured an environment existed in which they could be made," one Anon said. "So most of the talk in there was network maintenance, server issues, floods, attacks on us and how to counteract them, etc. If you wanted to start your own operation on AnonOps, all you have to do is create a new channel for it, register it, and get people interested ... If Anonymous really wants to do something, no one person can stop them."

They add that Ryan is intimidating Anonymous members with the threat of an up to 800,000 hijacked computer botnet, which could be used to attack AnonOps if it's taken back. The Anons say they knew Ryan was "dangerous" due to his outbursts, revealing: "We knew one day there would be a massive one, but we were never sure when." They call Ryan's motivation into question, especially after his outing of IP addresses from largely innocent Anonymous members.

"I don't see how anyone could claim to be working for the general good of Anonymous by putting hundreds of Anons in danger of being arrested," an Anon said. "Most of the people on that list aren't operators, they are just ordinary users who aren't involved in administrative drama between server owners."

There have always been separate groups of Anonymous members, but until now they were usually on the same side. The "core" of Anonymous is currently trying to regain control, but what happens after that is anyone's guess.

Thanks for the tip Starke [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Starke]!

Source: Thinq [http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/5/10/anonops-accuses-coup-leader-bullying/]

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
they sound like a secret shadow government from some spy flick.

probably because everyone is frikkin anonymous.

anyway it's an interesting development.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
For some reason, this reminds me of the Blood War... Lower Planes conflict is appropriate for this situation.

OT: Good. Again, never much a fan of Anon. Funny to watch though.
*grabs popcorn*

beema

Aug 19, 2009
lol
this is too funny
Hack3r W4rz!
I like how this guy's effort to combat hierarchy is to create his own sort of hierarchy.
It seems like it would be kind of impossible for a group like Anonymous to exist in harmony forever. It's made up of humans, after all.

I wonder if one of these "factions" is behind the PSN attack, and if so, which one. Would be great of other hackers got revenge on the hackers who hacked PSN.

man
tongue twister
how many hacks can a hacker hack if a hacker can hack hacks

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, they've been talking about this on separate Anonymous-associated forums like whyweprotest.net for a few days now... I even saw someone posting "Ryan"'s address and what his house looks like on the forums. General reaction looks to be very much negative against "Ryan", at least within the WWP community (WWP being the main body of the anti-Scientologist aspect of Anonymous).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm kinda surprised this hasn't happened earlier with them, ah well, better late then never I suppose.

Now you must excuse me, I need to make some popcorn and grab some other snacks for this battle of the shadow people.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
So, a sub-faction of Anonymous, a group that prides itself on being faceless and no one knowing who anyone within the organization is, has started a hack-based civil war to seize control of the group from the other members.

... this may be me over thinking things a bit, but how is anyone going to be able to tell who is on what side? Or who they should even be attacking?

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
I guess if you have an identity, you're not anonymous, and then you're a prime target for anonymous, despite having been anonymous or trying to keep your identity anonymous.

...Anonymous.

Samualwallow

Aug 27, 2009
I feel like moviemakers should really start looking at real life when writing their scripts. One piece of news like this sparks so much more imagination then the average movie or serie.

Go make a movie out of this!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
God, you'd think they were describing the plot of a spy movie.
Sure interesting to watch though.