Xbox Now Takes PayPal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Now Takes PayPal

Xbox Live customers who are iffy about giving their credit card to the internet can now pay for their online fun with PayPal.

Gamers today might be a little more hesitant to throw their credit card information around on the internet than they have in the past, and with good reason [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/psn%20down?from_search=1]. But there's so much awesome stuff out there! What do you do when your itch to spend money collides with your fear of some scumbag hacker getting his greasy paws on it? You use PayPal!

No, PayPal is not infallible, but it does add another layer of security between your precious user data and the nefarious ne'er-do-wells who are constantly seeking ways to get at it. "You can use PayPal to buy Microsoft Points without having to associate your credit card information to your Xbox Live account," Major Nelson explained on Xbox.com [http://majornelson.com/2009/08/06/pay-pal-now-available-for-us-xbox-live-accounts/] and head to the account summary page. From there choose 'Manage Payment Options' (from the left navigation menu) then click 'Add a new PayPal Account.' Follow the instructions and you'll be set up in no time."

Naturally, there are a couple of catches. You'll need a PayPal account, you'll have to reside in the United States and you can only buy Microsoft points on Xbox.com, not directly through your Xbox 360. But if you can live with those conditions, then you can enjoy all the convenience of buying stuff online without having to sweat about getting done PSN style.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"What do you do when your itch to spend money collides with your fear of some scumbag hacker getting his greasy paws on it? "

You go to any good gamesstore and buy Microsoft Points/memberships?
PayPal are quite evil, I know this from experience :(

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I'm genuinely curious: how is PayPal safer than Xbox live? I've always avoided PayPal because of all the phishing and scams I've heard associated with it.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
cynicalsaint1 said:
Great - now what about removing credit cards that are already on your account?
This. It keeps one card stored that is impossible to remove without jumping through a bajillion hoops to get it fixed, including hour long phone calls to someone who couldn't care less. It wouldn't be terrible if it didn't have the auto update for subscription permanently stuck to "on".

This paypal thing makes no difference to me, though, being all European and un-American like.

Bah!

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
Sun Flash said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
This. It keeps one card stored that is impossible to remove without jumping through a bajillion hoops to get it fixed, including hour long phone calls to someone who couldn't care less. It wouldn't be terrible if it didn't have the auto update for subscription permanently stuck to "on".

This paypal thing makes no difference to me, though, being all European and un-American like.

Bah!
This is very very true, they still did not remove my account number even after promising that it would be done. One the flip side they did offer a year of Live for a reduced cost, sadly I lacked the money.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
This is really cool, good for any americans I guess (damn you all!)

now I just want to see what hank man has to say about this.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
McMullen said:
I'm genuinely curious: how is PayPal safer than Xbox live? I've always avoided PayPal because of all the phishing and scams I've heard associated with it.
What are you talking about? Paypal has never phished anyone, nor are there any legitimate stories.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
McMullen said:
They accept paypal on amazon and ebay. It doesn't exactly scream disreputable.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
well as ive been a staunch believer in only purchasing game cards i think im safe and dont need this but its nice to know

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
A sly move from MS. At least they are learning from Sony's mistake and making their service to appear more appealing.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Ghengis John said:
McMullen said:
They accept paypal on amazon and ebay. It doesn't exactly scream disreputable.
Eri said:
McMullen said:
What are you talking about? Paypal has never phished anyone, nor are there any legitimate stories.
I'm not saying PayPal itself is corrupt. I'm asking why it is safer for PayPal to have my info than it is for Microsoft to have my info. One giant company seems as good as another, and PayPal seems a more obvious target than MS. Does PayPal have better security?

vf501

Oct 20, 2008
Jonathan Bradford said:
Sun Flash said:
cynicalsaint1 said:

Bah!
This is very very true, they still did not remove my account number even after promising that it would be done. One the flip side they did offer a year of Live for a reduced cost, sadly I lacked the money.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/account

1. Edit Payment Options
2. Find Card
3. Hit Remove (x)
4. PROFIT!!!??

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
vf501 said:
Jonathan Bradford said:
Sun Flash said:
cynicalsaint1 said:

Bah!

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/account

1. Edit Payment Options
2. Find Card
3. Hit Remove (x)
4. PROFIT!!!??
No, sadly no profit. For those who started the account in their pre-adult years there is an issue removing/verifying your account, getting messages about "restricted content," etc. While they'll accept my new account information if I provided it removing the old one "manually" is impossible for me.