Notch Wants to Launch Minecraft in Las Vegas

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Wants to Launch Minecraft in Las Vegas

Las Vegas could be the place to go to celebrate the official launch of Minecraft.

Though Minecraft has been available to play for a while now, it's technically still in beta. Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109095-Mojang-Finally-Sets-Minecraft-Release-Date] that Mojang is aiming for an official release of 11/11/11, but that day may come with more than just a special update. Persson is holding a poll to see if enough fans would want to travel to Las Vegas on November 11 for the first official Minecraft convention, called MinecraftCon.

On his blog, Persson writes that all of Mojang would travel to Vegas to help launch the game in style. They'd go live on stage and make a big hullabaloo about the game's official release, while there'd also be Minecraft-themed contests (cosplay, building contests, etc.), Q&A sessions, food, drinks, debauchery (probably), and all sorts of blocky fun.

Persson theorizes that an event like this could cost around $90 per person, not including hotel or travel costs. The planning of the event is still very early, and Persson wants to know if anyone would even go. He set up a poll here [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5388689217/minecraftcon-2011-in-vegas] to gauge interest.

MinecraftCon is still just an idea in Persson's head, so don't get your hopes up just yet. With over 2 million copies of Minecraft sold in beta, I somehow don't think he'll have trouble finding a few thousand people that'd want to attend. Oh, the wonders of an incredibly successful indie studio!

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
It seems like every new piece of Minecraft news makes me think that Notch it letting the fame and fortune go to his head. I suppose that's inevitable, but it's still a shame watching yet another "indie" developer go mainstream. Next stop: sequelville.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
It seems like every new piece of Minecraft news makes me think that Notch it letting the fame and fortune go to his head. I suppose that's inevitable, but it's still a shame watching yet another "indie" developer go mainstream. Next stop: sequelville.
I wouldn't doubt that he might make a sequel in the future.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Same release date as Skyrim. Even if I was offered to travel there for free I think I'd still rather be home exploring Skyrim.

Still; will be interesting to see how Minecraft changes in the run-up to official release.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
How do you make a sequel to minecraft?

[HEADING=1]MINECRAFT 2: REVENGE OF THE HEXAGONS[/HEADING]

OT: It's a kind of cool idea i think but i wont be attending due to the fact im not in America.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Yes, absolutely! 23.04% (7,069 votes)
Maybe! 32.76% (10,050 votes)
No, definitely not! 44.19% (13,557 votes)

I wish half of those who said yes would give me 90 dollars.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I hate gambling. I hate Las Vegas. I like Minecraft. I like Elder Scrolls even more.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
RollForInitiative said:
HAHAHAHAHAHno. Just no. I'm not celebrating a game that buggy until he's able to actually finish what he's started.
That's kind of the point of the release, is it not?

OT: I'd attend it if I had somebody to crash with nearby as I'm not spending cash on overpriced hotels there.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I say that's probably the biggest thing, I bet there are quite a handful of people who player under 21, and even more with shallow pockets, cause Vegas ain't cheap like Minecraft.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not going to spend that much money to come out for one game, not even Minecraft. Probably going to be one hell of a party though.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
That's kind of the point of the release, is it not?
Supposedly but, to be perfectly honest, I don't think he has it in him to see it through to a proper, completed title. He's too desperate to jump from one new feature to another as soon as it catches his eye. I've worked with his type before; great at starting, terrible at completing.

He's welcome to prove me wrong. I enjoy Minecraft and I'd love to see it polished and done with.