LA Noire Launch Trailer Makes You and Breaks You

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LA Noire Launch Trailer Makes You and Breaks You

The life of a LAPD detective isn't pretty, but it sure looks like it makes an entertaining game.

L.A. Noire has had a very long and interesting [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Noire] history - it was originally mentioned as a PS3 exclusive way back in 2004 (!), essentially became vaporware, and then showed up as a multiplatform title that looked pretty damn sharp. Either way, after a half-decade of development L.A. Noire is finally almost out, hitting stores worldwide next week.

[video=3199]

And right on schedule, here comes a launch trailer for Team Bondi and Rockstar Games's crime drama. In it, we catch a brief glimpse of the career of LAPD member Cole Phelps, who players guide from beat policeman to arson detective. It's not pretty, but the life of a police officer rarely is.

While the trailer assures gamers that there will in fact be action segments for those among us with cripplingly short attention spans, L.A. Noire actually has more in line with a game like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney than Grand Theft Auto - Phelps and the player will be investigating crimes and trying to determine guilt.

Determining said guilt involves looking at the characters' facial expressions as rendered by the 32-camera MotionScan technology. No idea how it'll work in-game, but damn if it doesn't make for the most realistic expressions I've ever seen in a game.

Really, the only thing this trailer is missing is the music from Inception [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109724-Inception-and-L-A-Noire-Make-One-Hell-of-a-Trailer]. L.A. Noire is out on May 17th in North America and May 20th in Europe.

Max Cool

Mar 16, 2011
Show me some actual gameplay or you can bet I'll be waiting for an eBay deal. And the last thing I want to do is study some cartoon face for twitches. This is why online poker minigames blow.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
say goodbye to the uncanny valley! here's hoping they lease it to other companies for cheap. no more uncanny valley ever awesome. im super psyched for this game

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Max Cool said:
Show me some actual gameplay or you can bet I'll be waiting for an eBay deal. And the last thing I want to do is study some cartoon face for twitches. This is why online poker minigames blow.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
I like, I like very very much! Though I'm too poor to afford it straight off the bat, I look forwards to getting this... Eventually.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Max Cool said:
There's a couple videos on YouTube:

The YT channel claims it will be doing a live playthrough very soon.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Oh, please... L.A Noire's certainly got the best facial animation so far in a game, but it's still nowhere near out of the valley. In that trailer alone I saw dead eyes, off lip-synching, and slightly off animations. Not just that, but the fact the game is based on 360/PS3 hardware means no-one is going to ever mistake the characters for even being close to real humans.

Sorry, but even the L.A Noire developers have said we're not out of the valley yet. Heck, it's debatable as to whether we'll ever get out of the valley. Even with future tech, the amount of effort required to render, program and animate a lifelike 'person' would be prohibitively expensive for practically all developers.
To be fair, though, How can you argue the Uncanny Valley stuff when the clips are only 1-3 seconds long?

As far as it stands, I'm getting this next week. My First Preorder ever, ever, and I wanted it to be this game (Actually, I wanted it to be Heavy Rain, but I didn't have a PS3 then).

In any case, I will be more than happy to play this game, personally, I like the whole idea of solving clues. There is something intriguing of solving cases in the 1940s(Has something to do with a childlike affinity with Dick Tracy, Methinks, but you never can tell).

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
John Funk said:
L.A. Noire actually has more in line with a game like Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney than Grand Theft Auto
*breaks out into song and dance*

*ahem* That is all...

Derelict Frog

Jun 7, 2010
Max Cool said:
http://www.rockstargames.com/videos#/?video=7091 This is a gameplay vid.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
lobster1077 said:
Similar to Phoenix Wright? This game keeps sounding better and better.
I was about to post more or less the same thing. I've been nearly beside myself waiting for this game and now we're dropping Phoenix Wright comparisons? Christ...I don't think I can make it to next week.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Every single time I see these trailers, I'm just staring at the characters' faces.