US Navy Creates Anti-Piracy Training MMO

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
US Navy Creates Anti-Piracy Training MMO

Help defeat pirates and play videogames at the same time? Sounds like a dream come true.

The US Navy's Office of Naval Research has unveiled a new idea for putting together strategies for dealing with Somalian pirates: crowdsourcing via a thousand person strong MMO. The game, called "Massive Multiplayer Online WarGame Leveraging the Internet, or "MMOWGLI," is the result of years of research into possible solutions to the piracy problem.

MMOWGLI, which launches on May 16th, will feature two factions. On the one side you have a multi-national, anti-piracy task force, and on the other you have the pirates themselves. Task Force players will have to consider a number of different factors, like the logistics of protecting and arming ships, the likehood of pirate attacks, and how to handle the various financial, jurisdictional and temporal difficulties involved in anti-pirate action.

The pirates' job is a little more simple, as their role is, well, to be pirates, attacking ships and taking hostages. This will put the Task Force's preventative plans to the test, and give them the opportunity to see what did and didn't work. Task Force players will also be able to stage rescues and raids, as well as provide humanitarian aid to the people of Somalia.

The thinking behind MMOWGLI is that it might produce unorthodox but effective strategies that wouldn't ordinarily arise from traditional wargames. "We hope MMOWGLI will help us to understand what happens when your insights are combined with the observations and actions of another player," said Dr. Larry Schutte, the ONR's director of innovation. "Will that fusion result in a game-changing idea or solution, or will the MMOWGLI platform teach us something about our traditional thought processes?"

If you're interested, you can register for MMOWGLI here [http://mmowgli.nps.edu/mmowgli], although it sounds like places will be rather limited.

Source: Fast Company [http://www.fastcompany.com/1752574/the-us-navys-massively-multiplayer-pirate-hunting-game] via Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/05/10/us-navy-uses-mmo-train-real-world-piracy]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/anhonorablegerman/5584059664/in/photostream])

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
what a hook on that title. kudos Mr. Westbrook.

Well there is no way to really know if this is as they say it is or just another recruitment tool like America's Army.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008

Look, Baloo! Pirates!

EDIT: Guess I should say something a bit more related. I just signed up. I have to admit, I'm very curious.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Wonder if bug exploits and hacking translate into the real world? I tease.

Interesting idea to say the least. Wonder how this will turn out.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
All of the Call of Duty fanboys will want to be the Task Force

All of the Anon/Hackers will be the pirates

Fandom: The MMO

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Is it bad I read that as Office of Naval Intelligence?

Anyway, I can't see this as being particularly successful. Still, it'd be nice to be wrong about this.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
, and how to handle the various... temporal difficulties involved in anti-pirate action.
Hang on. Are the US Military fighting the Time Bandits? I guess they really want that map.

OT: it's an interesting solution, and you never know. Though like many games a "successful" strategy will most likely be an exploit of the limitations of the game's coding as opposed to something tactically viable.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I think the question is, how much DRM will be in use to prevent piracy?

No, no.. the other kind of piracy.

Ya get it?

Huh?

Oh.. right. Not actually funny. Never mind, then. I'll be over there now.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Now here's something I never thought I'd see: news on a gaming site about anti-piracy measures I can get behind! *badum-psss!*

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Well, they will find some off the wall strategies, that's for sure, seeing as people will be trying the most insane off the wall bs they can think of.

Though the simplest solution is just to blow it all up, but that would cause collateral damage, which is bad.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
JaceArveduin said:
Though the simplest solution is just to blow it all up, but that would cause collateral damage, which is bad.
Morally bad, but an awesome gameplay feature.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
You know, they could just use Eve for that, plenty of pirates there, saves time and money on developing a completely new platform too... plus Eve space ships kind of already behave like naval vessels.

Also, pretty sure majority will pick pirate faction here...

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
the real question is, does a battleship count as a mount? in all seriousness though, this could work, as long as they make it very realistic. props to the navy for having the courage to try something new.

KrazyKain

Jun 2, 2010
I don't think free games ever have drm.. cos...you know... they are free..

or are you just trying to make the very obvious piracy joke that's already been done?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It'd be funny if this program backfires on them and actually helps pirates figure out how to be more effective pirates.

No, wait, I meant tragic.