Dark Souls Website Reveals Collector's Edition, Holds Secret Puzzle

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dark Souls Website Reveals Collector's Edition, Holds Secret Puzzle

The Dark Souls website has unveiled the game's collector's edition, along with an appropriately frustrating puzzle.

With Dark Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Souls-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B002AB7TX8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305140381&sr=8-9], From Software and Namco Bandai are fully embracing the primary aspect of the series that people seem to go gaga over: its crushing difficulty. A newly unveiled website for Dark Souls is not only perfectly named, but features a puzzle that is already making my mind burn with hatred and sadness.

Namco Bandai appropriately set up PrepareToDie.com [http://preparetodie.com] as the hub for all your Dark Souls needs. The big reveal on the site is for the game's collector's edition, which comes at no extra cost. To acquire the Dark Souls collector's edition's game guide, soundtrack, hardback art book, and behind the scenes video, all you have to do is pre-order the game. I was going to do that anyway. "Boo-yah" has never been more appropriate.

But that's not all PrepareToDie.com has to offer. Visitors of the website might notice a glowing glyph upon first glance. Clicking the glyph lights it up, and users must apparently then click on the remaining glyphs on the page in a certain order. Clicking too many times on the wrong glyphs will end the puzzle and force you to try again the next day (unless you know how to clear your cookies). In all my tries I could only get 2 glyphs. Someone else solve it for us, huh?

Rumblings around the internet say that solving the glyph puzzle reveals certain messages related to Dark Souls and how it hates you, with love. The latest Dark Souls trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109931-Trailer-Dark-Souls-Smashing-Boulders-Through-Skulls-in-October] revealed that the game will be out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 in October.

Source: PrepareToDie.com [http://preparetodie.com]

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
What is this? I've never seen it before, so why am I supposed to be getting the collectors edition?

No wonder Namco is in such a rut these days. They sell exclusively to collectors.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
CrankyStorming said:
What is this? I've never seen it before, so why am I supposed to be getting the collectors edition?

No wonder Namco is in such a rut these days. They sell exclusively to collectors.
Latest game by From Software in the vein of their 2009 cult hit Demon's Souls.

Also a lot of companies offer collectors editions for pre-ordering. It's the same thing as a limited edition.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Slightly related question: Is Demon's Souls harder than Super Meat Boy?

Cos i'd like to try this game but i don't want to get pummelled into the ground THAT much!

Lord Of Cyberia

Jan 4, 2009
In a word? YES.

You will die. And die. And die. AND DIE AND DIE AND DIE AND DIE. And you drop all your money/XP on your corpse EVERY TIME. And if you die before touching your corpse? GONE FOREVER.

And yet, I still regret selling it...

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Loved demon souls with a passion...I regret letting my friend borrow it now =(

Pre-order here I come

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Alright, I figured out how to game this puzzle to completion. First, open the website in firefox and input your age. This leads you to the url ending in /en (or your language code. Next, copy and paste that exact url into multiple tabs...(lets say 20 to be safe.) If done this way, you do not have to clear your cookie each time, which changes the opening glyph and each subsequent glyph you need to click. Then, it's trial and error. Just note which one's were right so when it fails, you can change tabs and continue from the same opening pattern. If you do not do it in this way then the game will reset and randomize with each attempt, making it obnoxiously random and hard. Good luck, it should take you about 5 minutes.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Very interesting, no longer an exclusive title.

I'll probably get the collector's edition, as long as the price isn't too far away from what a game and guide would cost anyway.

The other stuff doesn't fuss me as this is attained via online avenues anyway. Yes, I know guides are online but to me paper books will always be the mainstay.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Oh man I cant wait for this. Im still playing Demon's Soul. Playing it offline with no co-op right now really makes for the best challenge.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
KarmicToast said:
Alright, I figured out how to game this puzzle to completion. First, open the website in firefox and input your age. This leads you to the url ending in /en (or your language code. Next, copy and paste that exact url into multiple tabs...(lets say 20 to be safe.) If done this way, you do not have to clear your cookie each time, which changes the opening glyph and each subsequent glyph you need to click. Then, it's trial and error. Just note which one's were right so when it fails, you can change tabs and continue from the same opening pattern. If you do not do it in this way then the game will reset and randomize with each attempt, making it obnoxiously random and hard. Good luck, it should take you about 5 minutes.
or you could delete only the _d8f cookie, which causes to NOT randomize the glyphs upon refresh. _d8s is the cookie that resets the pattern. _d8c is just the counter and doesn't have any effect on multiple attempts.

I opened up photoshop on one screen and Alt+Printscreen->paste my progress after finding a new glyph and then numbered it. Kept my firefox cookies menu (tool/options/privacy/showcookies) up without closing it, so that everytime I failed I could just delete _d8f real fast and refresh the page.

Regardless any method you use is going to take forever, because of the stupid messages that pop up every 3 glyphs requiring you to close them. At the end it will ask you for your email and then mail you a unique code to use in-game.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
KarmicToast said:
Turbo_ski said:
or you could delete only the _d8f cookie, which causes to NOT randomize the glyphs upon refresh. _d8s is the cookie that resets the pattern. _d8c is just the counter and doesn't have any effect on multiple attempts.

I opened up photoshop on one screen and Alt+Printscreen->paste my progress after finding a new glyph and then numbered it. Kept my firefox cookies menu (tool/options/privacy/showcookies) up without closing it, so that everytime I failed I could just delete _d8f real fast and refresh the page.

Regardless any method you use is going to take forever, because of the stupid messages that pop up every 3 glyphs requiring you to close them. At the end it will ask you for your email and then mail you a unique code to use in-game.
I did a combination of both of these methods and it took nearly an hour. Unfortunately I didn't realize you could click up to 3 times to try the next glyph, but sometimes only once.

e-mail said:
Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. 1305190676338693918562764

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once.

Take heed to not become overconfident, for even the mightiest warrior can be brought to his knees.
Onward to battle!

Dark Souls
e-mail 2 said:
For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. 13051997086309746178818
I am never going to play the game, so...

You can also hoard codes. The same puzzle order will produce the same code, that you can't reuse, but if you get the puzzle to the very last step then you can delete the necessary cookie info, open a new tab to create a new code, then go back to your unfinished puzzle and choose the last glyph. I only had one other unfinished tab open, so that is why I got just 2 of them.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
ciancon said:

Cos i'd like to try this game but i don't want to get pummelled into the ground THAT much!
I recently strted playing it and yes, it´s hard. Most enemies are actually easy but the challenge comes mostly from the occasional slightly tougher enemies, large groups and bosses. However, after a few tries you should have figured out a good strategy. The most important thing is being careful- usually letting a tough enemy break your block will allow it to severely damage you.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
ciancon said:

I recently strted playing it and yes, it´s hard. Most enemies are actually easy but the challenge comes mostly from the occasional slightly tougher enemies, large groups and bosses. However, after a few tries you should have figured out a good strategy. The most important thing is being careful- usually letting a tough enemy break your block will allow it to severely damage you.