Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

A high school kid was arrested earlier this week for making a list ranking 50 female students at his school "by their sexual characteristics and alleged sexual behaviors" and posting it on Facebook.

The former student at Oak Park-River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois was taken into custody on Monday for putting together a list that described 50 of his female fellow students "by explicit, derogatory nicknames and assessed their physical appearance, sexual desirability, sexual activity and other characteristics," which he then posted on Facebook. He also printed out hundreds of copies of the list and passed them out at the school during lunch before being stopped by staff.

The list ranked the girls using a ten-point scale for facial features, a five-point scale for various body parts and whether their "stock" was up or down; they were also assigned nicknames like "The Designated Drunk" and "The Amazing Bisexual." It actually came to light in January, leading to the student's expulsion in February, but that wasn't enough for some people. "The subject was found to be responsible for an offensive list," said Oak Park Police Detective Commander. LaDon Reynolds. "Based on the evidence, the juvenile offender was charged with disorderly conduct and referred to [juvenile] court."

The father of one of the girls who appeared on the list said he was pleased that the kid was arrested but expressed concern that a disorderly conduct charge was inadequate for a "very serious offense that affected many people." Nonetheless, he added, "I'm gratified that the investigation continued, and that charges are being filed. I'm hopeful they consider additional charges as they gather more evidence."

But the obvious question is, what other evidence is there to gather? Unless there's a lot more to this case than is being reported, what we've got here is a three month police investigation into some idiot kid's home-made "Hot or Not" list on Facebook. I'm sure there wasn't a crack squad of Chicago's finest working the case 24 hours a day but even so, isn't this all a bit much for a stupid high school stunt?

According to reports, after distributing the list at his former school the student addressed an "impromptu gathering" of cheering students, during which he danced around and warned that "women are the future, unless we stop them now."

Sources: MyFoxChicago.com [http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2182903]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Seems like somebody watched the Social Network and was fancying his chances at some copy catting.

At least that is what his lawyer should tell him to say to alleviate any blame.

Anyone taking this seriously needs to re-evaluate their priorities, as is no more extreme than office workers sizing up their colleagues (male and female I'll add) and stating whether they "would or not", or signed comments within a yearbook.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Wow. That's about the most pure, douchiest thing I've ever seen. I'm disgusted, yet undeniably impressed at this douchebaggery.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Going to juvi for calling people names on facebook, when did peoples spines dissolve.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It was a dumb, embarrassing thing to do, but does it really warrant arrest?
Probably not, but whatever. It's not like any judge worth his wig would actually take this case seriously.

Feb 13, 2008
And by taking photos and photocopying this list, he could have done exactly the same thing?

And now Bookface own those photos?

Great...let's make sure these rapscallions get put in juvenile for a high school stunt. Great use of police resources.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Tee hee. I love watching stupid people get in trouble. It makes me feel so much better that I am not them. Did this kid really expect this to end in any other way?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I don't think that should be a criminal offence.

It's a horrible, offensive thing to do (and I can't imagine wanting to let everyone know about it too...), but it seems relatively harmless compared to what some people go through every day at school.

Martini-562

Mar 23, 2009
Granted, not a nice or smart thing to do, but arrest and charges of disorderly conduct?

I guess that goes to show what kind of a messed up society we live in.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This is so stupid, on both sides of the issue.
Kid: What the hells were you thinking?

Cops: Is it really worth it? At all?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
This.

This whole debacle is fucking ridiculous. The kid was an idiot yes, but that's not grounds to arrest him. Hell, if what he did was a legally punishable offense, we'd all be in prison for the entirety of our lives. This is just plain stupidity, and a complete waste of time and money.