PSN Problems Make Trouble for Dark Souls Devs

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PSN Problems Make Trouble for Dark Souls Devs

The game's producer has implied that there might be delays on the horizon if the outage goes on for too much longer.

From Software has admitted that Sony's ongoing issues with the PlayStation Network have proven slightly problematic for the development of Dark Souls, the spiritual successor to its notoriously hard action RPG, Demon's Souls.

While he didn't go into details, producer Kei Horono implied that the PSN situation was hampering development so much that there was a question mark over whether the game would make its October release date. Horono downplayed this possibility a little though, saying that From Software was in contact with Sony and hadn't altered its plans.

It's not hard to see why the PSN problems are having such a negative effect: Dark Soul's has the same punishing gameplay as Demon's Souls but has a much more robust online component. With this in mind, not having PSN available for several weeks must be playing havoc with From's development schedule. Sony has recently said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109930-Sony-Needs-A-Few-More-Days-For-PSN-Restoration] that its network could be working again in a few days, so hopefully From will be able to get back to work properly soon.

Dark Souls is theoretically coming out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 11th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300944/news/psn-down-time-has-caused-problems-for-dark-souls/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
First Capcom admit they're having problems because of the PSN being down, now these guys? Is this going to turn into some sort of intervention for Developers? Are we going to have AA style meetings? "Hi, we're TellTale games, and we... are a Developer in Distress." *Applause*

Sorry, just had that image stuck in my haed. :p

Dec 14, 2009
Maybe the whole PSN thing is being used as an excuse by devs to push release dates back?

"What? PSN is down, aaaaawwwwww naaaaaaaaw! We can't release the game on time now! OkIloveyougoodbye!"

Those sly devils.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Maybe the whole PSN thing is being used as an excuse by devs to push release dates back?

"What? PSN is down, aaaaawwwwww naaaaaaaaw! We can't release the game on time now! OkIloveyougoodbye!"

Those sly devils.
More development time is rarely a bad thing. In this instance though, I'm assuming, they can't actually test the games PSN components because there isn't a PSN.

More importantly does this mean Dark Souls are worse than Demon's Souls?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Generally developers want to shorten the amount of time between starting work on a game and actually making money from that game not lengthen it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
9_6 said:
Okay so... develop your primarily single player game to depend on bloody online components less?
I wouldn't imagine as many people buying games that rely on online in any major fashion now with that kind of damocles sword hovering over the PSN.
Have you ever played Demon's Souls, the MP makes the SP. Both are one game mode.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
C'mon every developer still in business!! Lay into Sony, we want our PSN back!!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Yeah, I'll be trying Dark's Soul's on the 360. I hope it's a tad more friendly than it's predecessor.
If by Friendlier you mean easier? Then no, Dark Souls will be harder than Demon's Souls. :D

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Korten12 said:
Sober Thal said:
Yeah, I'll be trying Dark's Soul's on the 360. I hope it's a tad more friendly than it's predecessor.
If by Friendlier you mean easier? Then no, Dark Souls will be harder then Demon's Souls. :D
Not easier... I get that the difficulty is what makes the game (part of why anyways) unique and if were a huge fan of the original I'd be pissed if they made it easier.

Friendlier would mean (maybe) easy of access in the beginning. The insane amount of grinding early on before you level up at all was a bit boring. Then having to wander that damn tower looking for the NPC to continue the story was a pain too. I had to look it up online to figure out what the hell I had to do next. After hours of play, 2 bosses dead, I didn't really feel like my character grew at all.

I guess since I bailed on the game early is my own fault and all, but it would be nice to get a little more progression early, to keep people hooked.

Of course, I haven't heard others express this, it might just be me. I only really heard people say "This is too hard" and then people say "You don't know what hard is".
IDK, I know they said a better tutorial, but don't know about the rest.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Findlebob said:
This got a sequel quickly.
When you release a title which requires you to print more copies because everyone ran out i'm pretty sure that's a good sign. Sony must be kicking themselves for not having published it outside of Japan.

Anyways as someone who doesn't own a PS3 or intend to in the near future i'd absolutely love to give the game a go on the 360 being i've watched some friends play on the PS3.

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
I don't know how much respect Game faqs has on here but, if it's worth anything, Demon's souls was in the top ten message boards for over year. Usually only huge games like COD's and final fantasies do that. And besides that, the game got so popular that they kept the servers are still up (theoretically at least, with the whole psn thing)when they originally planned to shut them down after a while. Why the hell would they NOT go for a sequel?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Friendlier would mean (maybe) easy of access in the beginning. The insane amount of grinding early on before you level up at all was a bit boring.
I think they'll still have the system where if you don't spend souls as soon as you get enough of them chances are you'll lose them all, being able to lose souls so easily with no way of getting them back is a big part of what made the game difficult.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
*************** Rant on****************

Right, by "more robust" you probably mean lobbies and voice chat, yea?

Well screw that stuff. DS has the best online component I know.

If you want to talk to your beer guzzling buddies, call them on the phone.

************** Rant off *******************

Oh, that's too bad. I already preordered the limited edish :)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
vrbtny said:
C'mon every developer still in business!! Lay into Sony, we want our PSN back!!
I'm of the opinion that they should all lay into each other.
I'm surprised that Sony & MS allow for games that are in a state like Fallout New Vegas was at launch. I think they need to get together and say when something needs to be put back in the oven just as much as the devs need to needle them into supporting/building their platforms better.