Ubisoft Applying Assassin's Creed Dev Model to Other Titles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ubisoft Applying Assassin's Creed Dev Model to Other Titles

Ubisoft has been delivering a quality Assassin's Creed game on a yearly basis, and hopes to do the same with other franchises.

If the newly announced Assassin's Creed [http://www.amazon.com/Assassin-2019s-Creed-Revelations-Xbox-360/dp/B002I08RA0/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1305294866&sr=8-2] in 2007. According to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, the success of this model is driving the company to apply it to other franchises.

On Ubisoft's recent financial conference call (via Giant Bomb), Guillemot said: "What is impressive with the release year after year of Assassin's Creed is our ability to deliver every time with a high level of innovation and creativity in a large and very diverse open world. There is no other open world console game that is coming on a yearly basis. This is achieved through great execution by providing more resources and by putting in place a very compelling network of leads and associate studios."

"We are applying the very [same] product template to our other strong franchises to bring them back to Assassin's Creed blockbuster profitable status," he added. Guillemot previously stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109135-Ubisoft-Scheming-to-Defeat-EA-and-Activision] that Ubisoft was working on becoming the world's #1 videogame publisher, which would require adding a few billion dollars to its yearly revenue, and this could be one method to help with that.

Forcing franchises out of the door on a yearly basis isn't typically a good thing, but with Assassin's Creed Ubisoft has proven that it can do so while leaving quality intact (assuming Revelations isn't a stinker). The publisher has many big-name series it could be referring to for this model, including Driver [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Xbox-360/dp/B000SQ5LQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305296344&sr=1-1]. The key would be keeping these franchises in gamers' good graces rather than beating them into the ground.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ubisoft-to-apply-assassins-creed-development-model-to-other-franchises/3177/]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Hey, if the games are as good as Brotherhood, I see that as a good thing.

As long as they keep getting better.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
This would be exiting news, but is it just me or am I the only one somewhat underwhelmed with their other big name titles?
With the exception of maybe Far Cry, the recent entries in many of those titles haven't been horrible but they haven't been anything to phone home about.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
"Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and Driver" too bad that i don`t care about any of those titles, well maybe a good stealth shooter would be a nice change of pace for me.

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
Assassins Creed probably has to be the best single player game on the market for me at the moment. They have brilliant, original and intuitive gameplay and interesting storylines and characters.

Also, stabbing people in the throat just never gets old. Ever.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
That could be detrimental. If all they're doing is selling a slightly different version each time, it could get a little boring, but hey, it works for EA Sports.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
HankMan said:
ZeroMachine said:

I think Ubisoft has earned some Creedence on that.

Indeed.

And you know, I just realized, it's kind of funny... how many games has Assassin's creed had in about four years? Counting spin offs... nine. And I've rarely heard people of claiming they're "milking it".

Yet, Halo, six games over ten years, is accused of it with every title after 3 o_O and they aren't the only series.

Does this say something good about AC/Ubisoft or something bad about people?

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Anyone remember back when someone from Ubisoft had said they planned to lengthen the dev time on AC titles to not only improve things, but to ensure the series long term success? They gave some reason about how making people wait a reasonable amount of time between releases would build anticipation and hype?

Nice to see they gave up on that and went all Activision/COD style.....

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
HankMan said:
ZeroMachine said:

I think Ubisoft has earned some Creedence on that.

Indeed.

And you know, I just realized, it's kind of funny... how many games has Assassin's creed had in about four years? Counting spin offs... nine. And I've rarely heard people of claiming they're "milking it".

Yet, Halo, six games over ten years, is accused of it with every title after 3 o_O and they aren't the only series.

Does this say something good about AC/Ubisoft or something bad about people?
I do not complain about Halo personally, however people complain about things like COD because the games are too samey to each other and don't have enough improvements to call it a sequel, AC on the other hand has undeniable improvements in every entry.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
They're pushing out Assassin's Creed games like hotcakes and nobody's complaining.

So long as they can keep the quality of Brotherhood I'll have absolutely no problem, but I expect the next big game to have a nice long development time and to be fucking massive.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
elementsoul said:
I wouldn't mind seeing another Rainbow six game sometime soon.
I would much much rather see another Rainbow Six. Honestly I think the story of Assassins Creed has just completely de-railed.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
They only managed it with Assassin's Creed because they refused to change anything game to game. It looked like they were just reusing a lot of the same game and now isn't the new one going to be the same style settings and same characters as the past game again? The fun of this series was supposed to be the changing time periods :(

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

My thought exactly, if they can make a yearly release, and not go down the COD path of making the same damn game with little to no changes, Im not going to complain.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm going to reserve judgement until Revelations comes out. I am mostly impressed with what Brotherhood pulled off: huge new city, new combat options, great multiplayer, interesting new ways of advancing the plot, made Desmond almost likeable, and no glaring bugs or obvious drop-offs in quality. My only quibbles were the rebuilding--like Yahtzee said, money becomes essentially useless fairly quickly--and the levelling up of your assassins by sending them on missions, which played like glorified Facebook game.

But while I really love Ezio as a character, he's on the verge of wearing out his welcome. I don't see what more can be added to his arc that won't diminish his character. At least we'll get to play Altair again--hopefully he gets to take advantage of the improved combat mechanics and be properly badass.

Chris Sandford

Nope, no title.
Apr 11, 2010
As far as i know, none of the other franchises have the versatility (story wise) as assassins creed. So i would expect there to be more prequels, sequels and spinoffs rather than one continuing story arc.

Like a prequel to splinter cell...when Sam was in his old fighting days.