Modern Warfare 3 Blows Up Brooklyn, London and Mogadishu

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Modern Warfare 3 Blows Up Brooklyn, London and Mogadishu

A "trusted source" released massive amounts of images and details on the plot and setting of the annual Call of Duty game into the wild today.

Like Christmas and the World Series, there's a Call of Duty every year now. Many of us were set to learn the details of this latest installment at E3 next month, but someone in the know jumped the gun and released a veritable mother lode of details on what we now know is Modern Warfare 3. Kotaku received a massive "leak" from a "trusted source" on the plot, characters and set pieces for MW3. Set to be available on November 8, 2011, the campaign picks up right where MW2 left off with an imminent Russian invasion of New York City. From there, the action globetrots to over a dozen locations like Berlin, Prague, Paris and Dubai as the player takes the roles of a Russian Federal Protective Services agent, an SAS Operative, a tank gunner, an AC-130 gunner, as well as prominent characters in the ongoing narrative.

MW3 is being developed by a team of studios under Activision's umbrella: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software. The last MW was the quit under much duress [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97446-Modern-Warfare-2-Breaks-1-Billion]. MW3 is the first major game made by Infinity Ward without the guidance of Vince Zampella and Jason West, and we will have to see if it lives up to the standards of the series.

If you want to read exactly what you'll be playing if you buy the game in November, be sure to head to their spoilertastic post here [http://kotaku.com/5801345/where-youll-go-how-youll-kill-and-who-will-die-in-modern-warfare-3]. I find it hard to believe that such a massive dump of plot information and screenshots were released without the knowledge of publisher Activision, but I'll indulge Mr. Crecente's pretense.

The game will reportedly ship with 20 multiplayer maps, with several mods available including "Spec Ops" and "Survival," the latter of which has you and your buddies defending against waves and waves of enemies. Expect to hear more at this E3 next month on the multiplayer, 'cause that's what most people will be playing anyway.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5801226/the-modern-warfare-3-files-exclusive-first-details-on-the-biggest-game-of-2011]

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Okay, survival sounds like fun, Nazi zombies, but instead of zombies, armed enemies (or atleast thats what Im guessing). But seriously, Why the hell is New York always getting blown the fuck up? I wonder if Yahtzee started a list of time New York got screwed after his Crysis 2 review?

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I was going to attack the game for having same old graphics (I didn't read the plot), but then I realized this thing is still 6 months away from release.

Cautiously optimistic....Cautiously.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Okay, survival sounds like fun, Nazi zombies, but instead of zombies, armed enemies (or atleast thats what Im guessing). But seriously, Why the hell is New York always getting blown the fuck up? I wonder if Yahtzee started a list of time New York got screwed after his Crysis 2 review?
I think Survival might be a more advanced version of the Museum in MW2.

I really really do wish they can bring back CoD4 level of quality to this. If they can't, well, I'm done with CoD.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Survival ... mmmmmm .... tasty ... the story at least is decent, I always wanted modern warfare 2 to set up the world for another good world war, but considering the original dev have left IW, I have little faith in the series after my poor experience with Black Ops.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Um, perhaps the title of this thread should be revised? the MW series has never been known for its strong plot, (and I've not played it besides MW1) but I'd feel a little bit irritated if news regarding portal 2 had been titled

Evil Wheatley, potato GLaDOS, and Cave's secretary becomes evil AI.

Show a little sensitivity for people invested in the franchise, eh?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
MattyDienhoff said:
Next, players take to the sky supporting Frost's ground movements as a gunner in an AC-130.
Because that exact scenario hasn't been done before.
Who cares, it was fun as hell.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm one of the only people I know that feels this way, but I freakin' love the Modern Warfare story. It's like 24 meets Black Hawk Down... on crack.

I hope they give it a good finale. Slow-mo kill of Makarov, anyone?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Serenegoose said:
Um, perhaps the title of this thread should be revised? the MW series has never been known for its strong plot, (and I've not played it besides MW1) but I'd feel a little bit irritated if news regarding portal 2 had been titled

Evil Wheatley, potato GLaDOS, and Cave's secretary becomes evil AI.

Show a little sensitivity for people invested in the franchise, eh?
I agree, there are still spoiler warnings in Portal 2 articles from like today, so this definitely needs one.

OT: Hmm, As always I will be keeping an eye on this... hard not to with cod. But I honestly hope the multiplayer is more fulfilling than MW2 which just didn't really interest me. As for the story? Well I'm curious as to what happens to Price/Soap seeing as I loved COD4 but I couldn't care less about ANOTHER WWIII Russians-kill-everything-including-New-York.

Oh well, It'll be the fastest selling game of all time no matter what I say.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I love the accompanying photo.

Anyways, can MW4 just explode the universe and be done with it?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
MaxPowers666 said:
So its pretty much what I expected. Same rediculously crappy story and a rip off of nazi zombies/firefight. That right there is why im going to expect this game to be extremely crappy. To me them adding in the survival mode just shows that they dont actually have any confidence in the game itself. They knew people loved nazi zombies and they didnt include in it mw2, now that the studio fell apart they are suddenly going to include a very similar more in the next one.

ZeroMachine said:
Who cares, it was fun as hell.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm one of the only people I know that feels this way, but I freakin' love the Modern Warfare story. It's like 24 meets Black Hawk Down... on crack.

I hope they give it a good finale. Slow-mo kill of Makarov, anyone?
You know what I never thought of it that way. 24 meets one of the worst military disasters in history really does sum up the plot between mw 1&2.
I can't tell if that's some sarcastic bash at Modern Warfare or not, but it sure seems like it, so let me make this clear:

Awesome/fun action show + amazing war movie + a metaphor for more awesome = Modern Warfare to me. I wasn't talking about the obviously horrible actual event that the movie Black Hawk Down was based on, I was talking about the movie itself.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Greg Tito said:
the campaign picks up right where MW2 left off with an imminent Russian invasion of New York City. From there, the action globetrots to over a dozen locations like Berlin, Prague, Paris and Dubai as the player takes the roles of a Russian Federal Protective Services agent, an SAS Operative, a tank gunner, an AC-130 gunner, as well as prominent characters in the ongoing narrative.
yikes

the Russians will be low on allies

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
So we won't be stuck in the boots of Task Force 141? Great, I hated it. I much prefered the dual gameplay Marines/SAS. With some luck they are heading back to this.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Holy shitballs!!! More of the same!!!! No mention of destructible environments, just more of the same. Could they at least make the multiplayer less a glitch fest?

And FYI, there can't be a Russian invasion in Brooklyn, they would all get robbed and killed. Have you ever seen an APC on blocks?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
a russian invasion of new york is so retarded its mind-numbing, really a russian invasion of the states is stupid, really any invasion of the states is stupid, same with one of china or russia, I mean if your going to invade you have to have a goal and since we have this giant ocean between us that makes it much harder to really come up with anything like repopulate said nation with your own

sounds like mw went from rather plausible roots to just batshit insane, but Ive known that since the 2nd one