PS3-Exclusive Starhawk Mixes Firefly With Multiplayer Craziness

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PS3-Exclusive Starhawk Mixes Firefly With Multiplayer Craziness

Newly announced PlayStation 3-exclusive Starhawk combines a Firefly-like universe with the varied, fast-paced action of Warhawk.

For a while now, the name Starhawk has been mentioned in rumors as a probable followup to multiplayer third-person shooter Warhawk [http://www.amazon.com/WarHawk-Bundle-Bluetooth-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B000K9K9AC/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305301786&sr=1-2]. These rumors have turned out to be true, as Sony has unveiled the game as a PlayStation 3-exclusive from Warhawk developer Lightbox Interactive. Starhawk looks to take the varied multiplayer formula laid out in Warhawk and expand upon it with single-player missions, a storyline in a brand new universe, and a customizable gameplay experience through what Lightbox calls "Build & Battle."

[video=3206]

Starhawk takes place in the future with humanity colonizing its way through space, but it's more Star Trek [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305302893&sr=8-2]. As humans began to colonize an area called the Frontier, they discovered an incredibly potent resource called Rift. A space-age gold rush sprung up around Rift, but the resource was much more dangerous than anticipated. People became infected by its energy in both body and mind, eventually forming a group called the Outcast that now attempts to violently stop "Rifters" from mining any further.

[gallery=241]

The game's single-player storyline, an aspect not present in Warhawk, focuses on a man named Emmett Graves. Graves once had his own Rift claim that was attacked by an Outcast warband, exposing Graves to the deadly Rift energy. Luckily, Graves' partner Sydney Cutter observed the attack from the atmosphere and was able to save him from becoming an Outcast with a painful regulator device implanted into Graves' spine. Graves now bears the mark of the Outcast, but has his mind intact, allowing him to become a protector of Rift claims and human colonies. Due to the mark, he plays the role of the hero people need, but don't necessarily want.

Gameplay-wise, Lightbox says that Starhawk takes things a step further than Warhawk. Players will still fight on foot, in vehicles, and in the air, but early looks at the game show a more futuristic bent. Graves is seen getting into a pretty sweet mech that can both fight on the ground or morph into an aerial fighter.

Starhawk's Build & Battle system makes things even more interesting, allowing players to customize their offenses and defenses. Build & Battle gives players the ability to build structures such as walls, bases, towers, and turrets, all in a fast-paced environment without any tedious management. Lightbox says this system will make Starhawk's single-player and multiplayer environments like a canvas for combatants to mess around with, enabling unique strategies every time they play.

Starhawk will feature four-player offline and online co-op, multiplayer matches for up to 32 players, and a multiplayer/co-op survival mode, in addition to a "full-fledged single-player story mode with various missions set in a number of diverse interstellar environments." It'll also feature tournaments, leaderboards, clan support, and even a mobile Android app to keep track of friends and stats when offline.

Starhawk will be released on the PS3 in 2012.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Warhawk = Awesome

Starhawk = Looking Epic
SpcyhknBC said:
This does look like an awesome game, but will the PSN be back up by then?
I certinly hope so by 2012!

Tom Goldman said:
Gameplay-wise, Lightbox says that Starhawk takes things a step further than Warhawk. Players will still fight on foot, in vehicles, and in the air, but early looks at the game show a more futuristic bent.
As opposed to the jetpacks in Warhawk ;)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmmm, a very interesting premise in this game.

I loved Warhawk, it gave me many, many hours of irritation filled fun, mostly on the ground because I couldn't dogfight for shit.

Be keeping an eye on this one.

BladesofReason

Jul 16, 2008
If properly executed that game looks like it could be awesome, and I'm a person that usually can't stand online multiplayer.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HankMan said:
Looks more like Borderlands than Firefly to me, but still
Shiny!
Not nearly as good as your other ones...

Anyways, I missed out on warhawk, so I sure as hell dont want to miss out on this one.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
With the mention of Firefly I was ready to come in here and start ripping it apart, but this universe is hardly Firefly-ish; seems more like Borderlands with a mix of Mech Warrior.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I haven't even heard of this game, which is kind of odd, considering that there isn't a single thing in that video that I don't like. A mix of RTS, TPS, and a flight game all in one? Sounds good to me, now to see if it delivers.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
With the mention of Firefly I was ready to come in here and start ripping it apart, but this universe is hardly Firefly-ish; seems more like Borderlands with a mix of Mech Warrior.
yeh, i was thinking, what? Sci fi = Firefly? Kind of a shitty comparison.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Could it be? A game about imperialism and exploitation that doesn't feature the "eevul capitalists" as the bad guys? Be still my beating heart...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HankMan said:
WanderingFool said:
HankMan said:
Looks more like Borderlands than Firefly to me, but still
Shiny!
Not nearly as good as your other ones...
Actually I was just making a straight-up observation. There was a joke in there somewhere?
*Reads previous post again*

See, this is what happens when almost every post I read of yours is a pun. I start seeing them in every one of your posts...