80s babies, do you feel old around 90s babies?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Superfly2008 said:
I was born late 89, and graduated in 2008 with babies born in 1990 since my birthday is so late in the year. I've always had younger friends, some who were even born in 1993, and never gave it any attention as a kid. However, as i'm older, i realized i'm one of the only ones in my friends group that was born in the 80s. Even my 21 year old best friend, who is 2 months younger than me, who is born in 1990 makes me feel ancient. He asked me one time, "what was it like in the 80s," and i had to remind him that i didn't know anymore than he did...
You feel old?! Born '86... and yet a few of my sister's friends recently thought I was a 70's baby (i.e. older than them by at least two years). Granted, at times I do look as though I'm in my mid-thirties, and it's rather depressing...

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
I was born in 1992. I was homeschooled until eighth grade, and was raised in a strict Catholic family, no TV or video games allowed.

I have to ask my peers what the nineties were like, and it's fucking embarrassing to be the only one who missed my entire generation and then some.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
drbarno said:
well I was born in 1992 (in January no less, so basiclly almost 91) and I don't feel old around younger people just yet, once the kids, born from the 2000's start rearing their heads then I'll start feeling old.
January '92, you say? Same here. :D

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
Oh hell yeah, but's it's less about decade and more about age gap. I was born in '87, my brother in '91 and we can both get nostalgic about the same shit. People who were born 95 and after though, they make me feel old.

In two years time though, those born in 2000 will be 13...I was 13 in 2000!

I mean, my cousins don't even know what a VHS is, they never had to live with just 4 tv channels or without the internet. It's so hard to relate to people THAT much younger than you because you're experiencing the same things, but with different perspectives. I think I'll just go buy a shotgun and rocking chair and find a porch to sit on.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I might as well have been an 80s baby. Was born in '90 and when talking to the late 90s babies (or even worse, the 2000s babies), it's like going through some bad trip.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
What makes me feel old around 80s and 90s babies is that I was born in 75.
Damn whippersnappers!

It's sorta funny. My ex-wife was born in 81 and grew up in Europe so there was absolutely nothing about our childhoods that were in common with each other. It made me sad that she no idea what the hell the A-team or CHiPs was all about.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I was born 83 and I have nieces and a nephew born in the 90s. So yeah, you 90s babies are darn kids and y'all can get off my lawn =P

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
'85 and yes most of the time. A good friend of mine is a early 90s kid, but he still got the spirit of the 80s.
The first moment i felt old when i was working at the local youth centre, we sat in our cellarroom with beer, darts and music and i played an old tape of mine. Then it was over and i flipped it to the other side and a kid said "hey what tape is it now?" "erm the same" "but there are different songs on it now"......and then time came over and said : dundunduuuuuun YOU ARE OLD!
I grew up with 2 older brothers and an older cousin, so i got a lot of the 80s stuff when i was younger, i guess this intensifies it a lot. We played with early He-Man and Star Wars action figures, the ones with real clothing ( and i am still able to kill several people at cons just by atmitting that we severed the head of a real vintage kenner Emperors Guard to put it on Optimus Primes Body), we watched M.A.S.K. and Transformers, our taperecorders played Hasselhoff and Jackson, early 'tallica and Grunge. Oh the looks if i mention such stuff to the 90's kids.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Early '92 for me. Graduated school in '09, at university now. I was young for my year (skipped ahead for being a clever dick), and I know a number of people from the 80s. Also work with tons of 80s folk.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Born in 1985 here. Dont remember much from the 80´s apart from saturday morning cartoons with awesome intros like Thundercats,TMNT, G.I.Joe and Transformers.

I mostly notice the age gap from the 90´s crowd when i´m discussing film or music with them.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It's not so much that they feel old, that they know they're inferior.
CAPTCHA: Pca simill

gaiaquasar

Oct 5, 2010
I was born in mid-82. The biggest difference between my first 8 years of life and the decade before and after seems to be that the best tv-show are from the 80s (MacGuyver, Magnum P.I., Chip and Dale, the Cosby Show...), while having the worst fashion decisions (leg-warmers, hair, jackets... anyone else ashamed of the 80s fashion sense?). Over all, music has ups and downs; for every good song that can still be called a hit there are 5 really terrible songs, but that's true for any decade.

But we're really all here to discuss video games, right? The 80s gave us Mario (including Mario 3) and Zelda, but the 90s gave us both Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. The nineties also saw the rise and fall of Sega, and ultimately ended with the same big three consoles that we have today. Good or bad? Not my call.

To answer the question, though, yes: I feel old around my friends who don't remember some of the awesome things from the 80s, and sometimes I'm embarrassed by their reactions.

Apr 28, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm a 90's kid myself (by less than a full month -- I was born in late January of 1990), but I understand what you're talking about. So many of the people online were born in 1995 or later, and the things they get nostalgic about just make me feel old. You would think people born in the same decade as you wouldn't be capable of making you feel old, but it's amazing what a difference five years can make.
Yeah, what he said. Its amazing what just a 5 year difference, or hell just a 3 year difference, can make.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Born in 1981. Almost at the big 3-0. The oldest of my friends is still 3 years younger than me, but on the upside, I can pass for early 20's. This really helps when I have 18-19 year olds hitting on me.

I am such a dirty old man. :D

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
1992, I'm not sure I should feel "old" since I'm 19. Given how bad my back is most of the time and how I have grinding hips I tend to feel considerably older than I am. Non of my close friends were born in the 80s.

The idea millennium babies will soon be flooding these forums scares me. I remember those weird TV shows around 2001 about them on Sky 1, always hated them for ruining prime Simpsons watching time.