80s babies, do you feel old around 90s babies?

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Born in '83 and meeting 90's kids makes me feel like a decrepit old has-been. Far, far, far worse though is when you meet someone who is both younger and more successful than you.

I am an obsolete model.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Melanie McGreevey said:
How about us 70s babies? *puts down her cane and sits in her rocker* LMAO
My wife agreed with you, she likes reading over my shoulder.

She was born in 74 and 80's and 90's babies make her feel old (especially 90's seeing as that's when she had her first child who is now old enough to start her own family).

Me, i'm an 80's lad. Born in 1980.

Never mind 90's kid making me feel old, DvD's make me feel old .... I still remember Betamax.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
'83... and it was funny teaching kids who didn't even know what the 90's were. Always a nice ego stroke when the students think you're 19 or 20, though. Now I just think anyone born 2000 or later is really young. Mostly because they are.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I'm 26 and I live on a university campus with three other people ranging from 19 to 22 and I feel ancient next to them. The other week I was walking to the corner store with the 19-year old and while at the counter I saw that people born in 1994 can now buy cigarettes and I looked at my roommate and told him that he was 6 when I started smoking, that made me feel really old.

26 is an interesting year because you're old enough to vividly remember things in the popular culture that are so warmly thought of now, yet you're also at the age where you're suppose to be settling down into your adulthood and shit.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Born '94 here, and while I never feel ancient, I do feel a little old when I see 8 year old girls with handbags and cellphones, frequently texting people.

I didn't have a cellphone until I was 10, but I first started using it at around 15. I was too busy with throwing sticks at others (Somehow we managed to hurt us more when he threw Conifer Cones than sticks), climbing trees and building forest huts at 10.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
You would think people born in the same decade as you wouldn't be capable of making you feel old, but it's amazing what a difference five years can make.
You would think so...but I was born in February 1988 and never owned a Teddy Ruxpen, didn't know what the Hell a Captain Kangaroo was and, wasn't aware of Peewee's Playhouse until the late 90's.

To answer the OP though, I haven't really noticed this a lot. I don't generally hand out with enough people to notice how they lean in terms of nostalgia. I do feel kind of old though, considering I graduated High School 6 years ago.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
As a 1986 child, yes, yes I do. Thanks for reminding me...

Seriously though, yes because when I talk about going to arcades and playing games by the quarters, and playing the NES with all those games I get blank stares.

Occasionally I get hit on by the 90s kids and it's weird.
Yup, 86 kid here too. I feel the same way as you although I have yet to be hit on by the 90s kids, I assume that window is closing pretty quickly as we near our 30s (holy crap).

Question for you though, since you feel weirded out by their advances, what's the youngest age you'd be willing to date a 90s kid? I'm curious to see what a fellow 86er has to say about that.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Goofguy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
As a 1986 child, yes, yes I do. Thanks for reminding me...

Seriously though, yes because when I talk about going to arcades and playing games by the quarters, and playing the NES with all those games I get blank stares.

Occasionally I get hit on by the 90s kids and it's weird.
Yup, 86 kid here too. I feel the same way as you although I have yet to be hit on by the 90s kids, I assume that window is closing pretty quickly as we near our 30s (holy crap).

Question for you though, since you feel weirded out by their advances, what's the youngest age you'd be willing to date a 90s kid? I'm curious to see what a fellow 86er has to say about that.
God, I don't even want to think about being 30 yet, just makes me feel like I should drink some more.

I don't really mind the advances since, you know, I will take what I can get while I still can, but I think it's just one of those things where you realize you're getting older. I think I'm willing to go 5 years younger than me, and anything more than that is just kinda questionable to me.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Well, there's a reason why I haven't included my year of birth on my profile!

I consider myself to be a 90s kid, since I was always told that it's the decade you grew up in that you're part of, rather than the decade you were born in (hence 'kid' rather than 'baby'). Plus, if you're able to sing the entire Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme, thought Pinky and the Brain would one day take over the world, read all the Goosebumps books, collected Pogs and had a crush/man crush on Pat Sharp then you ARE a 90s kid, no arguments.

DustyDrB said:
I was born in 1987. I still hear of someone being born in 1995 and expect them to look like an eight year old.
EXACTLY! And how is anyone born in the 2000s not a fetus?! For some idiotic reason (round number maybe) I just take the year 2000 as my reference point for everything (judging the age of stuff, calculating how long ago stuff happened). But that's totally moronic since we're already 12 years past it.