Ludicrously Ambitious Failed Dune Adaptation Lands Documentary

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ludicrously Ambitious Failed Dune Adaptation Lands Documentary

Surrealist painters, robot doubles and an imperial throne that doubled as a toilet are just some of the things that made the ill-fated production so interesting.

Dune is a tricky book to translate into a movie. There have been many attempts, and one person - director David Lynch - even managed to succeed in the early 80s. But few attempts, whether they were successful of not, can match the sheer insane ambition of Chilean filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky's effort in 1974. While the project never made it past pre-production, a new documentary by Frank Pavich will soon chart its twists, turns, and numerous eccentricities.

Author Frank Herbert's book is a rich and detailed tale that weaves politics, religion, ecology and countless other elements into one of the best-loved sci-fi stories ever written. Set tens of thousands of years in the future, the book focuses on Paul Atreides, scion of House Atreides, who is sent to the desert planet Arrakis along with his family to mine the spice Melange - the most important substance in the universe - by order of the Emperor. A conspiracy between the Emperor and House Harkonnen - the Atreides' hated foe for thousands of years - forces Paul to flee into the desert, where he becomes a leader of men, and much more besides. That's really just the briefest synopsis of the book of course; there's so much going on that it's almost impossible to concisely summarize, much less film.

Jodorowsky's movie supposedly sidestepped the issue of fitting everything in with a script the size of a phone book and a run time of ten or more hours. What's more, Jodorowsky wasn't afraid to add a few ideas of his own to the project. In Jodorowsky's script, the Emperor was insane, and had an identical robot double. Jodorowsky cast surrealist painter Salvador Dali in the role, who apparently demanded that his fee be $100,000 an hour, and that the Emperor's throne also be a toilet. Jodorowsky reportedly acquiesced to both of these demands.

As strange as the project sounds, Jodorowsky was able to attract some fairly well known names, although for many of them, it was at the start if their careers before their most well-known and/or acclaimed work. The team included Dan O'Bannon, who wrote Alien and Total Recall, and H.R. Giger, who designed Alien's iconic xenomorph. The cast was similarly interesting; besides Dali it was to include Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, and David Carradine.

For the documentary, titled Jodorowsky's Dune, Pavich has interviewed the surviving members of the production team in France, Switzerland, and the UK. In the summer, the production will move to the US, to complete the second half of filming. Just a short time spent researching Jodorowsky's production yields some really interesting tidbits of information, so a full documentary should be absolutely fascinating.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alejandro-jodorowskys-dune-will-finally-187984]

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
A run time in the double digits? Wouldn't that make it a maximum of 99 minutes? That's a little below standard these days... Unless the article means double digit in HOURS, in which case, that's impressive. Might want to make that correction.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Two people succeeded, I think the author would find. There was also a 2000 mini-series, which was much closer to the book than the old movie.

...and I think a trimmed version of the miniseries was released to video, because I sure remember it being shorter than 292 minutes.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
This should be really interesting, I always enjoy Film Doco's, especially about troubled productions. I'll keep an eye on this.

The film would have been something pretty awesome I feel. Interesting at least.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Giger sells two pieces of furniture that he designed for I believe this version of Dune on his website. While it no longer displays the prices, I remember the Harkonnen Capo chair was over $10K USD.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I approve of one choice in all of that. Mick Jagger. Seriously why didn't David Lynch snag him for his production?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
uc.asc said:
Two people succeeded, I think the author would find. There was also a 2000 mini-series, which was much closer to the book than the old movie.

...and I think a trimmed version of the miniseries was released to video, because I sure remember it being shorter than 292 minutes.
A mini-series isn't a movie.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Dune is probably my all-time favorite sci-fi book series. David Lynch's attempt at adapting it into a movie was, while unintentionally hilarious and memetic in its own right, absolutely terrible. His decisions to abridge the material and take a number of creative liberties did not help in the slightest. Quite frankly, I just don't think that it's possible to adapt it without butchering it as Lynch did. Given this guy's ideas, I'm very, very glad that the whole thing crashed and burned.

But at least Lynch's Dune brought forth this gem...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Wouldn't Dune work best as a SERIES of movies? Hell, they're splitting the Hobbit- I can see Dune being split into two films. And I know exactly where it would end- when Paul joins the Fremen. 2nd film would pick up from there and cover his war against house Harkonen and the climactic battle.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
uc.asc said:

A mini-series isn't a movie.
The movie version was probably a movie.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
ajofflight said:
A run time in the double digits? Wouldn't that make it a maximum of 99 minutes? That's a little below standard these days... Unless the article means double digit in HOURS, in which case, that's impressive. Might want to make that correction.
It was going to be 14 hours long from what I remember. The film is a lot like The Tourist, in that while never made Hollywood has used it to mine ideas from for decades.

Still a pity it was never made.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Hopefully, if game of Thrones succeeds, people will stop trying to cram everything into a single movie and instead make a very tight, focused TV series.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
Very nice to read about that!

There is also lots of info surrounding this project to be found around the great comic by Moebius+Jodorowski, L'Incal. This epic 6-volume tale was heavily influenced by their work on Dune, and it actually influenced Lynch's film (up to *very* similar storyboards for some scenes).

Do check it out, Moebius is always worth your time. :)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I thought i was being overambitious when i tired to make a short film in a very short time practically by myself.

I was wrong.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
An identical robot double? Man, there's creative freedom and there's ignoring one of the cornerstones of the universe you want to adapt to screen. Glad this wasn't produced, at least Lynch's version made me read the book. This could've put me off the whole universe forever.
unabomberman said:
Hopefully, if game of Thrones succeeds, people will stop trying to cram everything into a single movie and instead make a very tight, focused TV series.
They already did that with Dune. If I recall correctly, it was better than the movie adaption by David Lynch. That film was all over the place, they had to cut way too much.
Mahorfeus said:
Dune is probably my all-time favorite sci-fi book series. David Lynch's attempt at adapting it into a movie was, while unintentionally hilarious and memetic in its own right, absolutely terrible. His decisions to abridge the material and take a number of creative liberties did not help in the slightest. Quite frankly, I just don't think that it's possible to adapt it without butchering it as Lynch did. Given this guy's ideas, I'm very, very glad that the whole thing crashed and burned.
Ahh yes. Paul's sister was hilarious, and how the Baron came to his end was just slapstick on Loony Tunes-esque levels.