Trashed Thor Press Kit Causes Bomb Scare

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trashed Thor Press Kit Causes Bomb Scare

If you happen to own a Thor press kit, do not throw it in a public trash can.

A bus terminal in Ann Arbor, Michigan was recently evacuated due to a mysterious package found in a nearby trash can that looked like a bomb. In reality, it was a press kit used to help promote the placement of Acura products in the Thor movie.

The kit was shipped in a dark box marked "S.H.I.E.L.D. Assessment Test" on the top, with a S.H.I.E.L.D. seal. Jalopnik reports that the kit was once the property of Automobile magazine, which placed into the recycle bin outside of their office near the Ann Arbor bus terminal.

[gallery=243]

Inside of the box is a strange assortment of objects, images, and text that likely freaked out a passerby. There's a test tube, a dead scorpion in a jar, a few toggle switches next to the picture of a nuclear explosion, and an area with lightning-bolt shaped keyholes marked "Detonations." I'm beginning to see why there was some concern.

The kit was meant to be a faux test for S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Press outlets regularly send out kits like it to drum up interest in their products or promotions. It's just too bad that it made news as an explosive device rather than a silly way to join Nick Fury's elite cabal of soldiers.

Source: Jalopnik [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/washtenaw_county/police-evacuate-downtown-ann-arbor-bus-terminal-due-to-suspicious-package,-bomb-squad-responding]

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
This reminds me of the bomb scare we had because of a giant Styrofoam burrito from a popular eating establishment. This establishment had hidden several of these aluminum wrapped giant burritos around my town. It didn't take long for someone to see one, completely ignore the free burrito coupon on the side of it, and call 911. People are just paranoid.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Even if they (nobody in their office) didn't like it, they're pretty much idiots for not even giving it away in their magazine or trying to sell it on ebay or something.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Flauros said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Why'd they throw it away though?

So they can pretend thor never happened.
I'm not gonna lie, I haven't seen the movie but that is the funniest thing I've read all week. Well done! :)

The only thing I've seen authorities get more excited about was a surplus 40mm grenade case that was spray painted in psychedelic colors. They thought it was a bomb. Turned out to be paints and a kids pr0n stash.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What the heck does a dead scorpion and sugar cube got to do with the Thor or join the so called Shield at all?

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
You know, when I make bombs, I like to use scorpions as shrapnel.
really, how do you mistake that?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Flauros said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Why'd they throw it away though?

So they can pretend thor never happened.
Silly Flauros your logic makes no sense.

Thor was a good movie.
How long have you been having these ideas about this "Thor"? Because, you know. We still might be able to help you and you might be able to live a normal happy life. It is not too late.

I find it funny how in American a box in trashcan is a bomb when I Finland it is a collectors dream. Oh, the differences in our culture...

But why did they trowed it out, they could have ebayed it.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
I am reminded of the ATHF Movie promotion that was thought to be a bunch of bombs but were just lights.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
"Reanimate lifeless scorpion with sugar cube. Battle until one of you is dead."

That is just epic. Seriously...that is just gold.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I could have seen why it would have freaked someone out from your description.

I don't, however, see how it was mistaken as an actual bomb when actually looking at the pictures. In fact, only test four looks remotely bomb like.

Also, I too am a fan of "Reanimate lifeless scorpion with sugar cube. Battle until one of you is dead."

Its given me a chuckle