166: My Life As a Tank

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
My Life As a Tank

"Looking back into my MMOG past, a pattern emerges: I've always been a tank. EverQuest? Paladin. City of Heroes? Ice Tanker. And now in EverQuest 2, Guardian. I played other classes too, but they were always just a diversion by comparison.

"I can't remember the last time being the main tank could be considered fun. So why do I do it? Because I'm a nice person or I'm a sucker - either way, I can't say 'no.' And maybe, because deep down somewhere, it's nice to be needed."

Read Full Article

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Hey, look at that picture of Jeff! Looks like someone's going to the gun show!

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUa2atNxhfg

You know what you are? You're like a big bear with claws and with fangs.
It's got to be almost like an internal monologue with Vince saying it as well. :D (You can't really see it here, but Jeff bears a striking resemblance to Vince Vaughn)

iburns

Sep 19, 2006
I was a MT for my WoW guild for almost 3 years and I totally know where you're coming from. It's a bit of a rush to know that you are literally the single person in that 40-man raid that can make or break a boss fight. One of my favorite fights ever was when we were fighting Nefarion and our other MT went down in phase 3, I stepped in and finished the fight. That was our first time ever killing Nefarion. It was totally awesome.

Calybos

Sep 9, 2008
If I go down, the whole group falls with me. It's not the healers fault if I kick the bucket; it's my fault I don't have better armor. And if someone else dies, it's not the fault of the nuker who chain casted for 30k - my taunts just weren't good enough.
Really? Because I often play a healer, and I can assure you--everything is usually the HEALER'S fault for not bailing people out of unworkably stupid situations.

The tank charges in, rounds up eleven or twelve elite mobs who pound him down to 10% of his health every two seconds... and it's the HEALER'S fault that he dies. Because a healer should have infinite healing capacity for instantaneous, perpetual heals to full strength every single second. And if I don't, I "just don't know how to heal."

No, really! Just ask around! The healer's the one to blame for every wipe.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
I never play any role other than that of the tank. DPSing, healing... they don't mix with me. It's all about going toe-to-toe with the enemy, taking hit after hit (And in the case of WoW, nerf after nerf) and emerging bloody but victorious.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Spinwhiz post=6.71030.711701 said:
Yes, the guy in the pic IS me. It's okay...I can take it...I'm a tank! :)
Even tanks die sometimes. Hehehe, this picture shall end you!

*Promptly spreads picture to all 6 corners of the internet.*

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Calybos post=6.71030.711700 said:
If I go down, the whole group falls with me. It's not the healers fault if I kick the bucket; it's my fault I don't have better armor. And if someone else dies, it's not the fault of the nuker who chain casted for 30k - my taunts just weren't good enough.
Really? Because I often play a healer, and I can assure you--everything is usually the HEALER'S fault for not bailing people out of unworkably stupid situations.

The tank charges in, rounds up eleven or twelve elite mobs who pound him down to 10% of his health every two seconds... and it's the HEALER'S fault that he dies. Because a healer should have infinite healing capacity for instantaneous, perpetual heals to full strength every single second. And if I don't, I "just don't know how to heal."

No, really! Just ask around! The healer's the one to blame for every wipe.
I wish you were my healer. lol I did have some great healers in my guild, but in pick-up raids and groups? *shiver*

Shamus O Lively

Sep 5, 2008
A very nice and interesting read there.

I can personnaly relate to your experiences in real life with standing up for people, it often ended up in a few punches to the head but nothing too bad.

thedoombreeder

Sep 8, 2008
Shamus O Lively post=6.71030.711717 said:
A very nice and interesting read there.

I can personnaly relate to your experiences in real life with standing up for people, it often ended up in a few punches to the head but nothing too bad.

And we wonder why you are the way you are....

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
. And if someone else dies, it's not the fault of the nuker who chain casted for 30k - my taunts just weren't good enough.
Hah! Too true.

I've been tanking on WoW for years. On principle, its a job anyone can do. All you need to do is slap a few taunts down and take damage. Yet the job - as your article implies - can also have some deep connection with the psyche; tapping into some sort of need to do good; almost altruism (if it wasn't for the props and phat loot). This is what makes the good tanks stand out from the rest. Personally, I loathe pick-up groups in MMOs, because - despite the amount of effort you put in - praise is rarely given. To use your real-life examples, Jeff, its kind of like saving the biggest arsehole in the world from throwing himself off a cliff and then being punched in the face, followed by a 'What 'cha do that for!?'. I like to tank for my friends as it feels like I have something worth protecting there, and I'm not just forced into defending a load of random blokes from death. I was out clubbing about two weeks ago, and a fight broke out on the street after the place closed in the early hours. There was nothing big about it, just two 20somethings bashing their chests against one another and shouting. Even so, I felt a priority to protect and keep my friends I was with out of trouble rather than helping stop the fight. What's that, then? Being a cowardly twat or knowing that - even if I did step in - the risk of things turning sour or me simply being heckled for it was too great?

There is nothing better than joining a pick-up group and seeing the cheers, thanks and "woots" from five to 23 other people.
I'd argue that there is something better: Receiving those thanks from people you love.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Melaisis post=6.71030.711733 said:
. And if someone else dies, it's not the fault of the nuker who chain casted for 30k - my taunts just weren't good enough.
Hah! Too true.

I've been tanking on WoW for years. On principle, its a job anyone can do. All you need to do is slap a few taunts down and take damage. Yet the job - as your article implies - can also have some deep connection with the psyche; tapping into some sort of need to do good; almost altruism (if it wasn't for the props and phat loot). This is what makes the good tanks stand out from the rest. Personally, I loathe pick-up groups in MMOs, because - despite the amount of effort you put in - praise is rarely given. To use your real-life examples, Jeff, its kind of like saving the biggest arsehole in the world from throwing himself off a cliff and then being punched in the face, followed by a 'What 'cha do that for!?'. I like to tank for my friends as it feels like I have something worth protecting there, and I'm not just forced into defending a load of random blokes from death. I was out clubbing about two weeks ago, and a fight broke out on the street after the place closed in the early hours. There was nothing big about it, just two 20somethings bashing their chests against one another and shouting. Even so, I felt a priority to protect and keep my friends I was with out of trouble rather than helping stop the fight. What's that, then? Being a cowardly twat or knowing that - even if I did step in - the risk of things turning sour or me simply being heckled for it was too great?

There is nothing better than joining a pick-up group and seeing the cheers, thanks and "woots" from five to 23 other people.
I'd argue that there is something better: Receiving those thanks from people you love.
Well said Melaisis and I would have to agree with you, except about tanking not being hard. Thank you for your feedback.

iburns

Sep 19, 2006
Melaisis post=6.71030.711733 said:
I've been tanking on WoW for years. On principle, its a job anyone can do. All you need to do is slap a few taunts down and take damage.
Considering the number of bad tanks I've come across I'm inclined to disagree, not anyone can tank. While tanking isn't specifically difficult if you think it's just about "taunting a few times" then you aren't doing it right. Unless you are playing a druid tank...that's ez-mode.

roo18

Oct 8, 2007
Danny Ocean post=6.71030.711712 said:
Spinwhiz post=6.71030.711701 said:
Yes, the guy in the pic IS me. It's okay...I can take it...I'm a tank! :)
*Promptly spreads picture to all 6 corners of the internet.*
Google, Youtube, Wikipedia, Photobucket, Webmail and...? :]

I love doing the whole tanking thing. EverQuest and WoW particularly. It's always the feeling of being needed! Great article.