Cyborg Receives Diploma, Steals Hearts, At College Graduation

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Cyborg Receives Diploma, Steals Hearts, At College Graduation

Part man, part machine, all college graduate.

Austin Whitney has been paralyzed for years, thanks to a tragic car accident. But that didn't stop him from walking across the stage at his college graduation, thanks to an exoskeleton designed by a group of mechanical engineers at his school.

Whitney graduated from UC Berkeley this weekend with a degree in History and Political Science, but nobody thought he'd be able to actually walk on the stage to receive his diploma. Up until now, Whitney has been confined to a wheelchair.

However, it turns out that that Whitney was working with a team of mechanical engineers at UC Berkeley (actually, four doctoral students and their professor) to develop an affordable exoskeleton that would allow wheelchair users to gain the ability to walk. Whitney himself has been involved the project since he arrived on campus in 2008; the exoskeleton is being named "Austin".

The system was unveiled to the public, though, at his graduation. When Whitney took the stage, he was the last senior to have his name called:

As Whitney rolled onto the stage, the stadium grew quiet. Someone placed the walker in front of him and Whitney grasped the handles, pushed himself into a standing position and pressed a switch.

His right leg moved forward. Then his left. Whitney paused and steadied himself. With an audible click, his right leg took another step. Then his left. One more right. Another left. He was facing the chancellor, eye to eye.

The men shook hands as the audience erupted in cheers. And they hugged, as the announcer called out the final graduate's name.

Similar systems tend to run for around $90,000, but this exoskeleton is expected to run for around $15,000 (which is comparable to the cost of a high-end powered wheelchair.

On a side note: The rope draped across Whitney's shoulders is what's called an "honors rope", which is bestowed to students who earn a high grade point average; in every ceremony I've seen, the gold rope means that the person wearing it had graduated <a href=http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_GPA_for_Cum_Laude>Summa Cum Laude.

Congratulations, Austin, for both graduating and undoubtedly giving a lot of people the hope of being able to walk again.

Source: <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/14/BARO1JFEP8.DTL&tsp=1>San Francisco Chronicle

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
First Cyborgs, then...THE END OF THE WORLD!

In all seriousness this is awesome, sooner or later we will see no wheel chairs, and just people with robotic legs...or even wheels...

Now that would be awesome.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
The title made me giggle.

What a great story, to see this must have been pretty awesome for his fellow classmates to watch this happen.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
That photo is disturbing :/
But this is awesome news, hopefully this kind of treatment becomes more popular in future!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
See I saw "Stealing hearts" and thought a little too literal... Cyborgs and all...

This is great though. For Science!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
1,500 I should think. 15,000 for any kind of wheelchair seems a bit excessive.
Actually I would think it is supposed to be 15,000 since it does say "High-end" and I know that some powered wheelchairs can go upwards of the cost of a decent car. That and the source material say 15,000.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Veloxe said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
1,500 I should think. 15,000 for any kind of wheelchair seems a bit excessive.
Actually I would think it is supposed to be 15,000 since it does say "High-end" and I know that some powered wheelchairs can go upwards of the cost of a decent car. That and the source material say 15,000.
Yeah, sorry about that. I've corrected the typo.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I clicked for the title and nearly cried at the result.

You could roast marshmallows on the cockles of my heart, right now.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's kinda cool referring to him as a cyborg on here, but don't let that get into common usage, it's not very nice in the long run. Good for him though

standokan

May 28, 2009
In his speech, did he say "hasta la vista, baby" and did he mention wether or not he will be back?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
manythings said:
Is that meant to be 1,500 or 15,000?
*Kicks Google [http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=high-end+powered+wheelchair+cost&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=]*.

"Power wheelchairs are typically cost between $1,600 and $7,500"
"High-end with spring suspension and can cost as much as $7500"
"Power wheelchairs normally range from $5000 to $30000."

I'm guessing $15,000.

(Edit: Shoulda kicked faster. Damn customers, making me do my job and not loaf around.:)

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Science has been doing some pretty cool stuff lately. Makes me wish I paid more attention to it in school.