Artwork Helps You Learn Your Videogame ABCs

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Artwork Helps You Learn Your Videogame ABCs

"A" isn't just for "apple" anymore.

In pretty much every country across the board, learning the alphabet - or whatever writing system one uses in one's native language - is the first thing one does when learning to read (because, let's face it, it'd be kinda hard to do otherwise). Given that you're reading this post in English, it's a safe bet that you, at some point, studied the alphabet. Perhaps you used a traditional model like "A is for Apple and B is for Boy," or perhaps you used something slightly more modernized and up-to-date.

I think we probably all wish we'd learned the alphabet with a graphic like this, though.

Artist Fabian Gonzalez likes creating versions of the alphabet - he's made one for various superheroes [http://www.society6.com/studio/lishoffs/Simphabet] - and a videogame version of the same was long overdue.

Most of these are pretty obvious - C is for Chun-Li, L is for Link, and so on. Others are tougher: I'm personally stumped on N, U, and V, and I'm not entirely sure my guess for X is correct (I'm thinking Xianghua from Soul Calibur). Also, the "R" here is totally cheating. How many can you name on a first try?

For those among us who want to combine our love for videogames and our love for the alphabet in wearable form, you can order this as a print or a T-shirt right here [http://www.society6.com/studio/lishoffs/Videao_games_character_alphabet].

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5802334/now-you-know-your-video-game-abcs])

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
This would be the coolest thing to see hanging in some toddlers room. In fact, this is probably about to become a gift for a friend of mine who just had a baby. Thanks for the link!

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Blast, I am down G, J, N, O, U, V and X. I feel like I should know O, V and X, but I'm not very sure on the others.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
A=Asteroids B=Bomberman C=Chun-Li D=Donkey Kong E=Earthworm Jim G=Guybrush Treepwood I=Inky K=Ken L=Link M=Mario P=Pac-Man Q=Q-bert R=Rockman S=Sonic T=Tetris W=Wario Y=Yoshi Z=Zelda
F,H,J,N,O,U,V,X all have me stomped.

gordon Freeman as in by his last name? That's cheating right? If not then H is e. Honda .

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Lucane said:
A=Asteroids B=Bomberman C=Chun-Li D=Donkey Kong E=Earthworm Jim G=Guybrush Treepwood I=Inky K=Ken L=Link M=Mario P=Pac-Man Q=Q-bert R=Rockman S=Sonic T=Tetris W=Wario Y=Yoshi Z=Zelda
F is Freeman

The rest I have no idea. I feel like I should know H and N, but I can't place it.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
GoldenShadow said:
F is Freeman. From Half-Life, Gordon Freeman
Agayek said:
Lucane said:
F is Freeman

The rest I have no idea. I feel like I should know H and N, but I can't place it.
Yeah I think that should count as cheating but eh.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Lucane said:
I think V is Valentine (Jill) from Resident Evil.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Lets see what I got so far...
A - Alien Invader? (Space Invaders)
B - Bomberman
C - Chun-Li
D - Donkey Kong
E - Earthworm Jim
F - Freeman (Gordon Freeman)
G - Guybrush Threepwood?
H - Honda, E. Honda
I - Inky
J - ??? It looks like Clank.
K - Ken
L - Link
M - Mario
N - Nemo, Little Nemo (It's not pants, he's riding a bed)
O - ??? Some kind of racing helmet?
P - Pac-Man
Q - Q-Bert
R - Rockman (Megaman. Seriously, cheating.)
S - Sonic
T - Tetris
U - ??? Red-haired character with companion-cube pajamas, and the number 23... I have no idea
V - Valentine. Jill Valentine. Found a picture [http://www.videogamegirlsdb.com/gamegirl/Images/Resident_Evil/Jill/Jill_Valentine_RE_05.jpg].
W - Wario
X - I think he's right, it's probably Xianghua.
Y - Yoshi
Z - Zelda