Old School Kombat Returns to Xbox 360 and PS3

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Old School Kombat Returns to Xbox 360 and PS3

Relive your favorite babalities and friendships, when Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection arrives later this year for Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and PC

This new compilation will bring together arcade ports of Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Players will be able to delve into online play, leaderboards and unlock achievements/trophies for $9.99 (or 800 Microsoft Points) in late summer.

"With the release of our 2011 Mortal Kombat, and its return to 2D game play, players have been asking for these classic titles and we are happy to deliver them," Ed Boon, Creative Director of NetherRealm Studios, said.

Back when Midway still owned the franchise, Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 were previously released on Xbox Live and PSN but in far than ideal conditions. The games suffered from lackluster emulation, bad netcode, numerous glitches and leaderboards that weren't monitored and quickly became filled with cheaters.

This new compilation is being built from the ground up and will, hopefully, address issues players had with the previous downloadable ports - both of which were taken off PSN and Xbox Live in February 2010 when Warner Bros. bought the rights to the Mortal Kombat license.

As much as I'm obsessed with the new Mortal Kombat at the moment, I'm not sure I'll have quite the same amount of interest in revisiting the series' origins by August. It begs the question: was this release supposed to come out before Mortal Kombat 9 but got delayed? Developer Other Ocean couldn't be reached for comment at this time.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
These are certainly great news! and it's also coming to the PC?, sweet!.
As much as people panned the silliness of babalities and friendships, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 still remains as a great classic.
While we're at that, I'd still want to know if Mortal Kombat is still on schedule for the PC, if it's coming at all.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Oh yeah. I'm gonna buy this one for sure.

I don't even care about online play or leaderboards. I just wanna play these without having to break out the Sega Genesis.

I think they should come with a DLC code for a Mortal Kombat(2011) costume or something :)
I'm gonna buy they blu-ray of the first movie just for the Ermac code.