Extra Punctuation: Not All Sequels Suck

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I think the DS sequels managed to make Castlevania: SOTN's formula even better. Well, and Aria of Sorrow on GBA. Added a new abilities system over sub-weapons for AoS and DoS, made a 2 member mage/warrior split for PoR while escaping the usual castle setting thanks to the portraits, and OoE split the line between "classic" and "Metroid"vania.

Minus the generic anime art style for character art in Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin being a huge downside.

This:

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
That was an interesting little trip into the realm of Tangentia. We started talking about sequels and how one might improve on a formula, and ended up talking about programming code.

Well, done, sir. I enjoy stream of consciousness.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Just the other day, I was dreaming of a game dev tool exactly like the one Yahtzee suggests. Even GameMaker is too programming-intensive for most people.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I read a book [http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Holodeck-Future-Narrative-Cyberspace/dp/0262631873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305648891&sr=8-1] years ago in undergrad by an English prof at MIT who claimed the holodeck (or simpler VR setup) would be the future of narrative. It's been over a decade but it might still be worth a read. Tabletop RPGs and choose-your-own-adventure style gamebooks are probably good training for non-coders who are interested in game design as well.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Not sure if anyone mentioned it first time around but Assassins Creed 2 was much much better than its predecessor, and yet you still had Desmond, Lucy and Vidic.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
now this i wholeheartedly agree with. make the barrier of entry for development lower for those who want to make simple games without having to learn a shit-ton of programming.

that makes lots of sense to me.

Feb 13, 2008
Films: Alien/Aliens, Godfather II, Dawn of the Dead, Goldfinger (though that may be cheating), Star Trek 2, Terminator 2, Empire Strikes Back (Dodgy ground but it's a contender), The Dark Knight, Mad Max 2, The Toy Story Trilogy, Lethal Weapon 2, Addams Family Values

Novels: Dexter in the Dark, Barchester Towers (The Warden), Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer), War of the Worlds (The Crystal Egg), A lot of Lovecraft's "inspired by" works, Wild Cards.

Games: GTA 3 vs GTA 1 or 2? Street Fighter 2 vs Streetfighter? Dungeon Keeper 1/2?

It's a good rule of thumb, but it's not set in stone.

And just to annoy Yahtzee, Buffy (TV Series) beats Buffy (Movie).

Patattoopon

Aug 27, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it first time around but Assassins Creed 2 was much much better than its predecessor, and yet you still had Desmond, Lucy and Vidic.
But let's be honest here: AC's story was about Altair and AC2's was about Ezio. Diffrent characters, diffrent location, diffrent era. Desmond and friends are only an excuse to explain the "you're in a memory" mechanic so you can't just kill everyone during a mission.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Alien/Aliens
I would have to disagree with that. While I respect Cameroon's sequel for creating a number of popular tropes, it was largely underwhelming compared to Ridley Scott's tension-filled, well-paced narration. It's like comparing Amnesia to Dead Space.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
RPG Maker VX is a fairly solid program for those who want to make RPG's. It takes some getting used to, but it's easily learned if you give it an afternoon or two. And there's a huge online community consisting of graphical artists, storytellers, musicians; you can easily post on a forum saying "I want to make a game, here is the concept" and then have a group of people working on your idea within a week. It's pretty cool.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
One problem with the holodeck approach or the plain english approach to coding logic, is that as the complexity increases the ruleset starts to look more and more like spaghetti. Some technical conventions may have a high barrier to entry, but are often designed to make it easier to handle large projects.

Even if we have a magic wand that can grant us wishes (and modern development tools are very much like magic wands) the hard part is still defining exactly what we want.

A writer writing a game in plain English, would stil face the challenge of structuring the logic in a way that he can comprehend himself. I bet some writers actually make technical flowcharts or tables to visualize the flow of a traditional story.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
But what if mainstream gaming took the Inform 7 approach? Create a deep, intuitive toolset designed for non-programmers that can let you create models, textures and game mechanics with dropdowns and a visual mouse-driven interface to as complex a level as the user desires, so that any lone developer, like ones who specialize more in aesthetics or story writing, can create a game that could then be sold in mainstream circles or over Steam to anyone who wants to look for it?
I actually think this is your strongest point in that entire article. I had been thinking about the same thing myself recently. All other forms of story-telling (books, movies, music) are all very easy to create. All you have to do is just pick up a pen and some paper/video camera/instrument and go at it. Video games are not at the point were they can do that (the closest thing is Game Maker, and even that needs a decent amount of technical expertise), and I think that is really hampering the medium. You hear that developers? Make a freeware program that makes creating games so stupidly simple my grandmother could do it! Get on it! :mad:

Feb 13, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Alien/Aliens
I would have to disagree with that. While I respect Cameroon's sequel for creating a number of popular tropes, it was largely underwhelming compared to Ridley Scott's tension-filled, well-paced narration. It's like comparing Amnesia to Dead Space.
It's a different genre really, with the same main characters. It'd be like having Godfather 2 being all about gun-battles.

Hold on...

But yeah, Aliens is as good an action film as Alien was a psychological horror. Better?...that's purely conjecture.

Shannon Spencer Fox

Sep 10, 2008
First, I have to be Super-Ultra-Turbo-Mode nitpicky on this: Castlevania: SOTN didn't start the 'Metroidvania' trend that we saw later in the (IMO excellent) Aria/Dawn of Sorrow games on the DS, and others... the second Castlevania: Simon's Quest on the NES did that, though not quite to the same degree as SOTN did.

Anyway, excellent points both in this article and the one previous, and I personally thought of a few concepts that broke with the norm, but for the most part, Yahtzee had a point. And actually, someone making a more graphical 'version' of the Inform 7 creation engine would definitely be awesome, though one example of it I've seen is at http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/game-dev-resources/the-games-factory-2... basically a Flash-game/movie program that you can download for free. Granted, you can only upload your creations to the Newgrounds.com site, but that's not exactly a bad place to have it hosted either.

(On the note of Inform 7 games, though, I'll also point out two of my favorites... 9:05 and Shrapnel by Adam Cadre, at http://adamcadre.ac/if.html. Both extremely good, and good examples of 'story-based' games, rather than puzzle ones, like what Yahtzee referred to.)

Jerre138

Oct 6, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Yes, but AC1 wasn't exactly a contained story.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Alien/Aliens
It's a different genre really, with the same main characters. It'd be like having Godfather 2 being all about gun-battles.

Hold on...

But yeah, Aliens is as good an action film as Alien was a psychological horror. Better?...that's purely conjecture.
I actually paused a little after clicking on Post on my original comment... I guess you have a point there - the two movies were basically different genres.