Gears Of War 3 Beta Racks Up Nearly A Billion Kills

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gears Of War 3 Beta Racks Up Nearly A Billion Kills

The final stats from the recent Gears of War 3 beta are in, and the numbers are morbidly impressive.

During the beta test's four week run, 1.29 million players from 145 different countries participated in 249 years worth of multiplayer games. According to Epic Games' tally, that's over 11 million matches.

Even more impressive is the body count generated during the test. 927 million kills were recorded, 131 million of which were the Gears of War series' signature, hyper-violent, close-quarters "Executions [http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Gears_of_War_Executions]." Another 23 million virtual folk met their grisly end at the cutting blade of a Lancer chainsaw.

Apparently all this bloodshed must have been constructive as players managed to pick up 4.9 billion ribbons and 291 million medals.

Most interesting however, is the total number of bullets fired during the beta. According to Epic's figures, players busted almost 23 billion caps at one another. If we take the number of kills, subtract the kills which were performed manually or with the help of unwieldy bayonet analogues, and divide that number by the total number of shots fired, we learn that each bullet had only a 3 percent chance of being a kill shot.

This is where I scoff and sarcastically quip, "Nice shooting Tex."

Despite their apparent inability to point the useful end of a gun at one another with any frequency, players seem absolutely smitten with the beta. Pre-orders for Gears of War 3 (which hits retail on September 20) have set a new record for an Xbox-exclusive title, snaring the preemptive cash of more than one million fans.

So far there's no word on how that impressive pre-order figure breaks down between the game's three distinct editions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110127-Get-Your-Very-Own-Marcus-Fenix-With-Gears-3-Epic-Edition].

Source: Gears of War

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Damn. I must admit, I had my fair share of fun on the beta. I'm a bit surprised that have over a million people beta testing it though! Very impressive.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
So.... can we now start a meme about how shitty aimers Gears of War players are?

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
vrbtny said:
So.... can we now start a meme about how shitty aimers Gears of War players are?
It may also have something to do with how each character is able to soak up massive amounts of damage

Martster

Rated EC-10 Condemned
Mar 17, 2010
I enjoyed the beta and cannot wait till the full release in September

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
People have been killing eachother a lot in the Gears of War Beta...

I'm going to admit, I'm shocked.

[sub]Also, they should all learn to aim...[/sub]

Nico III

Apr 16, 2008
It does take a lot of shots to down a player, and even then they might get revived, or might take cover until their health regenerates. If you were to take the number of hits vs. misses I know there would be a more appropriate ratio.

This put an unnecessarily snarky angle on it, in my opinion.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Let's see how many of those kills were from the Sawed Off being fired around the corner or the Gnasher from across the map.

I got in on the beta early by way of Bulletstorm, and the first week or so had a great variety just because people wanted to unlock everything. After that, then everyone switched to some sort of shotgun and ignored the objectives of KOTH and/or CTL to bolster their K/D ratio. Long story short, I had a blast in the beta but hope something gets done about that Sawed Off reticule and Gnasher range.

And if I down an enemy and someone else comes and finishes it off, then give BOTH of us the kill. Or make assists worth more points.