Keanu Reeves Turns Down Akira Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Keanu Reeves Turns Down Akira Movie

It's not been a great week for the manga adaptation, as it loses a potential star and a lot of its staff within days of each other.

Matrix star Keanu Reeves will not be appearing in the Western remake/reinterpretation of Akira. It was reported earlier this month that the actor was in informal talks for the movie's lead role of Kaneda - or whatever he ends up being called in the final version of the script - but it appears that those talks have come to nothing.

Reeves is hardly the first high-profile name that has been linked with the project in some way. Zack Efron, Morgan Freeman, Robert Pattinson, and James McAvoy, to name but a few, have all been rumored either to be involved with the movie, or to be of interest to the directors and/or producers. Warner Bros., which has a close relationship with Reeves after the Matrix movies, is said to be disappointed that he turned the project down, but is continuing to look for a lead actor for the movie.

The ongoing search for a leading man isn't the only problem that the production seems to be facing. Warner has shut down the movie's pre-viz unit, and let most of the people working on the film go. The two events are not thought to be linked however, and Warner said it is committed to making the film. "Production on Akira has not halted or been shut down, as the film has not yet been greenlit and is still very much in the development stage. The exploratory process is crucial to a project of this magnitude, and we will continue to sculpt our approach to making the best possible film."

The fact that the production has slowed down does not mean the film will not be made, just that it might take longer to get to the big screen than expected. That's not necessarily a bad thing either, as fans would undoubtedly prefer that the movie was made right, rather than quickly.

Source: JoBlo [http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-keanu-reeves-passes-on-akira-so-whats-next] via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/17/akira-loses-keanu-reeves-work-on-the-film-goes-into-slowdown/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29]

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
If only they didn't try to Americanise the whole thing.
Japanese Culture as represented in that film is so vital to the story.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'd rather it wasn't made at all, but if they have to, at least I have the consolation that it doesn't involve Keanu Reeves.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
I wish they wouldn't do a remake of it.

However, now that Keanu Reeves turned it down, I think we've dodged a bullet.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
What? No! Let him turn down the Cowboy Bebop movie too! For the love of God!
(As for the post above, agreed.)

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Well, that's good I guess. I really feel like americanizing this particular movie would be a mistake. The entire underlying theme of the film is how much it sucked to be Japanese. It's full of metaphors that would be completely lost in a different setting.

Also, I can't help but feel that they're going to go and 9/11 the sh*t out of it

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
How can Keanu Reeves turning down this role be considered a bad thing? Granted, it's still going to suck, but at least it won't be Wooden Spoon suck.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Thank the God I don't even believe in. This terrible adaptation was sounding worse and worse every time new news came out. The fact that Reeves was even considered is pretty good evidence that they're not even in the slightest bit devoted to doing it right. Really? Reeves as a character who's supposed to be in a secondary school? I don't think so.

Maybe we'll get lucky and something resembling artistic integrity will worm its way back into the production of this film, but if it keeps going the way it's been going I'd honestly rather it not come out at all to tarnish the name of the superior pieces (both the manga and the anime) that it claimed to be working from. A movie about a 40 something guy fighting psychic children created by the American government and set in New York is not Akira.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I'm trying to figure out why warner bros wants to make a manga based story at all. I understand why japan would but I don't see warner bros making much money unless they also capture the people not in the fan base. I'm sure international sales will be awesome for the movie but in America would it be big enough or be able to be transitioned to get the usual action/scifi movie goers?

I just feel like they genuinely like the manga enough to say fuck it if we lose money we have got to make this.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont know why, But I had a feeling he wouldnt jump on this (potential) grenade.

Eh, maybe its a sign that this isnt meant to be.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? Live action adaptions of animation nearly always sucks, especially if the animation is Japanese and the live action adaption is American. The faster someone puts this project out its misery, the better for everyone involved.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
They won't be able to make something half-decent, much less the best possible film, unless they fire everyone currently involved and start over. But they won't. They don't want to make the best possible film. They want to make something non-threatening and marketable. Akira is neither. I'm glad Keanu turned it down. I like him and I hear he's an actual anime fan. Walking away from such a horrid project is the only correct option.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
How can Keanu Reeves turning down this role be considered a bad thing?
Because the film is going to suck either way. They might as well cast somebody who would be hilariously bad in the lead role.

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
I wish this project would just die. Akira was a landmark manga that was pretty well adapted into anime. Yes, that was a long time ago, but it's still pretty solid (and freaky in parts). The plan for Warners to Americanize the story is horrible. I understand that Joe Facebook won't get the movie if they stay true to the source material, but Kaneda doesn't need to be a 40 yr old Bill S. Preston, esq.

Hell, they should grab Kumar/Sulu & Jin Kwon/whatever-his-character's/name-is-on/Hawaii-Five-O for the main roles...there are plenty of talented Asian actors who can bring the roles in the story.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
I'd rather it wasn't made at all, but if they have to, at least I have the consolation that it doesn't involve Keanu Reeves.
It was never going to be him. When people don't care about a movie project they release bullshit stories with names so that they are picked up by movie news websites. People get pissed off and forward them, suddenly the movie no one cared about is setting the world on fire. People didn't care anymore and "Hooray it's not him!" is the new story.

CrimsonTemplar

Apr 20, 2009
I wish this project would just die. Akira was a landmark manga that was pretty well adapted into anime. Yes, that was a long time ago, but it's still pretty solid (and freaky in parts). The plan for Warners to Americanize the story is horrible. I understand that Joe Facebook won't get the movie if they stay true to the source material, but Kaneda doesn't need to be a 40 yr old Bill S. Preston, esq.

Hell, they should grab Kumar/Sulu & Jin Kwon/whatever-his-character's/name-is-on/Hawaii-Five-O for the main roles...there are plenty of talented Asian actors who can bring the roles in the story.