Sony, Microsoft "Ramping Down" Game Production

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony, Microsoft "Ramping Down" Game Production

In the wake of the decision to Sony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86186-Microsoft-to-Shut-Down-Halo-Wars-Studio] will close even more internal studios as they struggle to become profitable.

St. John, the CEO of developer/publisher GamesIndustry [http://www.wildtangent.com/] he believed that Microsoft and Sony were entering a "recovery phase" after years of absorbing punishing losses in their competition to dominate the market, and that as a result, they would be much less willing to take on the risk and expense of in-house game development.

"You will clearly see Sony and Microsoft ramping down their investment in those platforms," he said. "What's interesting to note is that Microsoft [Game] Studios: the number of titles they're producing is in decline. So they're investing a lot less in the Xbox [http://www.xbox.com], and Sony is doing the same, because they're in a cost recovery phase."

"They've spent billions trying to be profitable, and the consoles have enough developers making games for them that they do not have to take the risk on investing in games for their own platform in order to drive the market for them," he added.

Microsoft's Shane Kim had earlier said the decision to shutter Ensemble was purely a financial one, and in a leaked email, Microsoft Game Studios [http://www.microsoft.com/games/] head Phil Spencer said, "It became clear to us that closing the studio and redeploying those resources to other more scalable venture is the right thing for our business at this time."

While he may have a point, many people feel St. John's credibility as a prognosticator is somewhat suspect: Earlier in the year, he predicted that the current generation of consoles would also be the last. "I am going to predict to you that the repeated [http://www.playstation.com] in an interview with the Telegraph. Instead, he said that the future lies with laptop-style gaming that could offer a portable gaming experience on par with any console system.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I really don't understand the economics here. Sink billions into R&D to produce a horribly expensive to produce system that physically can't be sold at a profit. All on the understanding that it migh possibly make a profit at some time in the unspecified future.

Meanwhile, Nintendo essentially adds a couple of gimmicks to the Gamecube and cleans up. Massively profitable, massively marketable and dead easy to understand.

Microsoft and Sony need to have a word with the Umbrella corporation, they'd ike the Umbrella school of business.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.71158.715451 said:
Meanwhile, Nintendo essentially adds a couple of gimmicks to the Gamecube and cleans up. Massively profitable, massively marketable and dead easy to understand.
Easy? Wiimote. Put into Wii rubber. Attach nunchuk. Plug in Wii Motion Plus.Get on Wii Balance board. Set up calibration bar.Set up Animal Crossing Mic on TV.

There is so many add ons, they've complicated the most simple thing.

PS2 also made massive profit with 16 buttons,2 sticks and fancy new specs.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Eggo post=7.71158.715482 said:
How is putting on a rubber difficult?

Oh wait, I forgot this is a video/computer game forum :lulz:
...The point is its not hold the Wiimote and waggle it around. You have to set up so much to start playing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.71158.715467 said:
PS2 also made massive profit with 16 buttons,2 sticks and fancy new specs.
But the PS2 could be manufactured at a profit and had no real competition for the first 18months of it's life, when it was manufactured at a slight loss. Although the numbers on Wiki suggest it in fact had no real competition throughout it's entire life (total sales of Xbox AND G.cube come to just over a third of total PS2s sold).

I see your point about the ad on complication, but. explain the way to control a Wii to an old lady, then try explaining how to work a 360 to the same old lady.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
The software is the only source of positive revenue for a console in the first 6-8 years of its life, and the console producers get more of that revenue if they are the ones producing those revenue streams. It's basic consumer product marketing economics. Handles and blades, anyone? This is akin to saying that Schick is ramping down production of Mach XXII blades because they are in a cost recovery phase. Bullshit is what that is.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.71158.715507 said:
But the PS2 could be manufactured at a profit and had no real competition for the first 18months of it's life
You are so wrong on more than one point in that sentence. Dreamcast, anyone?

Please read a wikipedia article before posting complete nonsense.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SaintWaldo post=7.71158.715534 said:
You are so wrong on more than one point in that sentence. Dreamcast, anyone? .
I'm a Yorkshireman, I'll talk sense when hell freezes over!

Also, DreamCast, like I said, no real competition.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Kind of sad about the whole Dreamcast thing. Dreamcast had a kickass library and sold like shit. Wii has a mediocre library and sells millions.

Oh, why can't the world be the way it should be.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Isn't it a little premature to say that gaming is going to become less profitable? Nintendo have been raking it in, and the general public have been known for their propensity in snapping up new editions of gadgets that are scarcely different from things they already own. Especially when the industry is only just starting to be taken seriously in the mainstream.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Eggo post=7.71158.715482 said:
How is putting on a rubber difficult?

Oh wait, I forgot this is a video/computer game forum :lulz:
Am I the only one who caught this? Le sigh. Anyway...

Maybe someone can explain this to me...if a division of a company (in this case the game development divisions of sony/microsoft) are turning a profit, then they are financially sustaining themselves plus some extra dough. If a company nixes that department, they lose not only the profit, but also all of the money sustaining that division...which is being made by the division...so how can they relocate these funds?

Please mock my simplicity, I'm by no means a student of business.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
If Sony does close down some of it's studios (I'm assuming they havn't yet) let's just pray it isn't the Ico team.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.71158.716954 said:
Eldritch Warlord post=7.71158.716950 said:
Why Ensemble? They're one of your best. Why not Gearbox or something?
Gearbox is making Halo 4. Thats why.
No, G4 just made buzz by saying that when in reality the lead designer (or something) of Gearbox was hired by Microsoft to work as part of the Halo Franchise Team.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.71158.716971 said:
shatnershaman post=7.71158.716954 said:
Eldritch Warlord post=7.71158.716950 said:
Why Ensemble? They're one of your best. Why not Gearbox or something?
Gearbox is making Halo 4. Thats why.
No, G4 just made buzz by saying that when in reality the lead designer (or something) of Gearbox was hired by Microsoft to work as part of the Halo Franchise Team.
Well I fell for it. *annoyed grunt*!