Steam Adds Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition In July

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Steam Adds Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition In July

PC pugilism enthusiasts will have a chance to throw down with Capcom's latest fighter this July, courtesy Valve's downloadable gaming service.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (henceforth SSF4:AE) includes the 35 characters present in Super Street Fighter IV and adds Street Fighter III favorites Yun and Yang, as well as Evil Ryu (aka "Satsui no Hadou Ryu" to those hardcore canon geeks) and Oni, an even more demonic version of Akuma.

Additionally, SSF4:AE also includes new gameplay balance changes and a revamped replay system that allows gamers to more easily spectate matches between the game's best players.

SSF4:AE is the third incarnation of Street Fighter IV, the latest game in a beloved series directly responsible for the popularity of the one-on-one fighting game genre. Despite a decade-long dip in popularity, both 2008's Street Fighter IV and 2010's Super Street Fighter IV were wildly successful, igniting the current fighting game renaissance which spawned the BlazBlue series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3250-Mortal-Kombat].

While the original Street Fighter IV was released for the PC, Capcom cited concerns over rampant piracy on the platform as justification for Super Street Fighter IV appearing only on consoles. There's no word on why the publisher has had a change of heart for SSF4:AE.

Though the game won't go live until July, players can pre-purchase the title via the Steam store for $40. Social butterflies can also distribute the game amongst friends with the $120 four-pack.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
While the original Street Fighter IV was released for the PC, Capcom cited concerns over rampant piracy on the platform as justification for Super Street Fighter IV appearing only on consoles
What they don't seem to understand is:
A. Piracy is just as easy on the consoles
B. PC gamers actually buy the games they like.

If I didn't already have it for the PS3, I would be all over this. For now, fighting games must remain the domain of the consoles.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Baresark said:
And if not a lot of people bought it, that must mean there wasn't much of a market for it.

OT: Sounds good. Not much a fan of fighters myself, but I would be glad for others to get to share in on the fun.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Baresark said:
While the original Street Fighter IV was released for the PC, Capcom cited concerns over rampant piracy on the platform as justification for Super Street Fighter IV appearing only on consoles
What they don't seem to understand is:
A. Piracy is just as easy on the consoles

If I didn't already have it for the PS3, I would be all over this. For now, fighting games must remain the domain of the consoles.
Yes, people need to shut up about the PC piracy thing, consoles are getting worse.

Though with street fighter, this is one of those cases I might seriously consider getting a fighting game on the PC. The fact that I don't get charged taxes on steam really helps me decide between steam or retail. (Note: I live in Canada, we have 13% taxes on basically everything, so a 50 dollar game works out to be 56 dollars afterwards, and it really builds up when you buy as many games as me...)

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Piracy is NOT just as easy on consoles. You don't have to mod your computer to run pirated games. Playing pirated games is also one of the first things to get you banned from live as well.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
... Sometimes I swear that Steam is only making these type of things only to STEAL my money.

They will leave without a penny to spare.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hitman Dread said:
Piracy is NOT just as easy on consoles. You don't have to mod your computer to run pirated games. Playing pirated games is also one of the first things to get you banned from live as well.
Usually pirates don't care about multiplayer.

Also, renting games is basically legal, second-hand piracy, since the developers don't get $ for every sale...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

I've been waiting to play this game for a long time. Now I have the chance to finally play it =D

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Abedeus said:
Hitman Dread said:
Usually pirates don't care about multiplayer.

Also, renting games is basically legal, second-hand piracy, since the developers don't get $ for every sale...
Nope. But when person A was sold the game, they were sold the game. They sold it to someone else, or lent it to someone else, the fact is that there is only one person at a time playing the game that there was one purchase for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

"The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell, lend or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy ends once ownership of that copy has passed to someone else, as long as the copy itself is not an infringing copy. This doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale," "first sale rule," or "exhaustion rule"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbs-Merrill_Co._v._Straus

Holding: Copyright holders did not have the statutory right to control the price of subsequent resales of lawfully purchased copies of their work. Second Circuit affirmed.
Sorry, it just is rather annoying to me whenever I see that point made.

Anyways: SSF4 really isn't that good a game unless you reeeeeelllyy like fighters. Were that the case, you would have likely picked it up at this point.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I thought Capcom said they would NOT do this.
Glad I didn't buy SSF4 & SSSF4.
When it seems like they're winding down, I'll pick up SSSSSFFF4-AA.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Too little too late, capcom. I already bought a ps3 for the sole reason of playing your game, I'm not switching platform now.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Waaaaaaaaaant.

Say, if anyone has a free copy they wanna send my way... I'm just saying.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
To all who wish to buy this game:

Use Yun. He's better than everyone. Fact. I don't like calling characters broken, but he's very, very good. The top 3 are Yun, Yang and Fei Long. They've improved most of the cast, which is nice.

Also if you enjoyed using Guile, Abel or Bison (or Ryu), they got nerfed to balls. They're still decent though, don't get me wrong.

GonzoGamer said:
I thought Capcom said they would NOT do this.
Glad I didn't buy SSF4 & SSSF4.
When it seems like they're winding down, I'll pick up SSSSSFFF4-AA.
They said this was the last Street Fighter title (yes I know, just hear me out), and the reason I believe them this time is because they have many arcade cabinets across the world of this instalment already.

If this isn't the final version, I don't expect another version for at least another 3-5 years. They have quite a few titles coming out in the next two.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
There's no word on why the publisher has had a change of heart for SSF4:AE.
Considering Capcom's tendency to squeeze out every penny they can from a Street Fighter title by porting it to every platform imaginable, I don't think it is hard to see why they would change their minds. Especially since Ono, the game's producer, stated that Street Fighter IV PC sales were strong worldwide.