Bethesda Working on Glitch Fixes For New Vegas DLC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Working on Glitch Fixes For New Vegas DLC

Troublesome robots may keep you from your meeting with the Burned Man in Honest Hearts.

Fallout: New Vegas publisher Bethesda reports that a fix is in the works for the technical issues that are preventing some people from playing the Honest Hearts DLC. This fix will be integrated into the game's next patch, although Bethesda has yet to reveal when the patch is due.

The problem with the DLC seems to revolve around ED-E, a robotic companion that players can pick up in the game. There are dozens of bugs attached to him, and some of them are preventing people from starting the new content. A commenter on the official Bethesda Blog raised the issue, to which community manger Nick Breckon replied that Bethesda was aware of the issue, and was working on it. Unfortunately for players already suffering the bug's effects, he said that the fix would not do anything for games that were already broken, and players would have to revert to an earlier, unaffected save.

This new issue is just the latest entry in the catalogue of technical issues that have plagued New Vegas since its release. This isn't even the worst problem that players have had to put up with; the last patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109645-Report-New-Vegas-Patch-Just-Makes-Things-Worse] actually broke the game for some Xbox 360 players. Obsidian has admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109904-Obsidian-Admits-it-Has-a-Bug-Problem] that its games ship with a lot of bugs, but that confession isn't worth a great deal if it doesn't do a better job of fixing them.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302362/news/fallout-new-vegas-honest-hearts-glitches-come-as-no-surprise/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Not one problem have I seen since they fixed up Dead money. Maybe I'm just a lucky one.

I'm just sad I couldn't take ED-E (or Rex for that matter) along with me :3

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This is what has put me off of buying the new DLC. The game is just bug-riddled and it really has clouded my opinion of the game to the extent that I just can't pick it up and play it any more.

People said Fallout 3 was buggy but I experienced nothing that wasn't aesthetic, New Vegas on the other hand has just been insane.

It's frustrating really, because I really enjoyed it at first.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Every day these guys are in the headlines for a some glitch... they seriously need to sort out their workforce.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
You know for once I wish they'd test the DLC and fix the glitches BEFORE they release it. Has there ever been a release of theirs that HASN'T had issues?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Y'know it's gotten bad when it becomes frontpage news that they're fixing glitches in the new DLC.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Well is the patch also going to fix the fact that HH's companions can't swim and do a weird buggy dance over the water? Or how about you can't take on the FOTA doc as a companion after the DLC? Unless you have Rex with you that is then he uses a unique line and follows you. Seriously I felt this DLC did not live up to what was expected. The story was meh if not lacking and after I completed the DLC with both endings I felt like I was confused.
the burning man is obviously a badass in either ending one shoting most of the White legs and the Sorrows and Dead Horses were able to put up quite a fight so why was I needed when Joshua Graham could've killed all the whitelegs without my help?
Also it felt much shorter than Dead Money and wasn't as engaging or interesting as it should've been. All I can say is that HH wasn't worth my 800MSP and that the next DLC had better be well better or I'm ignoring it completely.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Really makes me long for the days of Bethesda's "ruining" the Fallout franchise with Fallout 3.

Don't get me wrong, Fallout New Vegas is--bugs aside--a great game, in many ways better than Fallout 3. The problem being the bugs are hard to put aside and a direct sequel (game mechanics wise) SHOULD be better, that's the base assumption when you're working with tools already provided. You use the experiences and feedback of the first time to make the next game better, more robust.

Obsidian failed to do that. I know fans have all the excuses in the world for why Obsidian is "off the hook" on making a terribly buggy game, such as: "They were using another designers game engine!" "Their publisher didn't give them the time/funds necessary to do it!" etc.. But these all fall short when you realize that Obsidian has had the same exact issues with every different publisher, while other design teams haven't.

At some point you have to stop pointing the finger of blame elsewhere.

ExperienceBij

Jun 3, 2009
I was keen to buy the new DLC but this news has obviously put me off. I would have thought that after the previous complaints about the glitches with New Vegas that they would have put a bit more effort in with the DLC. Guess not.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Still?! Seriously?
Thedek said:
Really Bethesda/Obsidian... again? Don't you guys ever learn?

For once i agree with the ponies...wait...

[HEADING=1]...MADNESS![/HEADING]
Look at what you've done Bethesda and Obsidian!!!

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Does anyone know how the ED-E related bugs are activated? I had him for quite a while as a follower. If that means I won't be able to access the DLC I sure won't be buying it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Dulcinea said:
Ouch. That's just not on. Why was this allowed out to the public? Surely testing would pick that up... Sheesh.
"Testing" isnt something Bethesda do. They like to give the greatest gift of all to their fans, the gift of "surprise". Others (the fans for example) would perhaps consider this gift to be more "frustration" however. :p

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
What about the previous DLC bugs? I've had to abandon my level 22 hardcore playthrough because I can't get dog/god to stop being my companion to get all the people for dead money to be ready for the heist. It's really quite annoying.

WeAreJimbo

May 17, 2010
Glad I didn't buy this, ED-E has been AWOL for a while now but Rex Growls at his presence every time I ask him to join me. And before you ask, no, ED-E is not in Primm.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Whaaaaaaa? New Vegas has bugs in it? And Obsidian STILL hasn't fixed them since it's release?

Naw... that can't be right...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Dulcinea said:
Bethesda made games are better. Not perfect. But better.
Actually both developers are equally horrible when it comes to glitches and bugs. Personally I've experienced more bugs in 3 than New vegas, especially the Pitt DLC which was just broken for me.

Oblivion also had it's fair share of bugs, you couldn't even cure vampirism in Oblivion GOTY.