Empty Parking Lot Highlights Minecraft's Mundane

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Empty Parking Lot Highlights Minecraft's Mundane

Sure, you can create amazing things in Minecraft, but you could also spend hours building an empty parking lot.

Everybody's talking about their incredible Minecraft creations lately. I built the entire Studio Ghibli [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103834-Minecraft-Player-Needs-Help-Building-Scale-Star-Trek-Enterprise] world! Big whoop. I'm more impressed with the guy that made a parking lot.

[gallery=250]

Contrary to the wondrous creations of Minecraft, Boing Boing presents the more mundane. To start, how about a row of nondescript houses built in 19th century England? They're made of bricks, and have windows. Fired up yet?

Perhaps a highway intersection is more to your liking? Or an empty K-Mart... excuse me, Big-K parking lot at dawn. Yep, it's an empty parking lot all right. But it's built in Minecraft.

There's also a Minecraft version of Rockall, a small, rocky islet off the coast of Scotland covered in bird poo, but that's getting a little too exciting if you ask me. I think I'll go back and hang in that parking lot some more. There might be creepers in Big-K, but at least they (usually) don't explode.

Source: Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/20/mundaneminecraft.html]

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
if you ask me, looks pretty sweet, I think it would be cool for a minecraft zombie machinima

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Wow! That's way too intense for me! I'm going back to watching my screen when it's turned off.

Mindblowing. Damn.

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
teh_Canape said:
if you ask me, looks pretty sweet, I think it would be cool for a minecraft zombie machinima
Zombies would be pretty cool for that map, it isn't really pushing minecraft design, even if it does show a massive commitment to the game. I wish i could create a project like that, but i have to follow the rule of digging all my building materials, no mine edit

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
That's just so cool. The level of detail is really impressive. God I love minecraft.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its not an empty minecraft world... its a picture from 4 hours in the future /snicker

Yes, this illustrates my point of just how badly NPCs are needed in MC. More so than maps/skyworlds

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
When I looked at the Ghibli world one I almost deleted Minecraft altogether.
Who has this kind of time in their LIFE? I certainly don't.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
That's awesome just because there's zombies in the game and that just cries out for parking lots and streets.
Hell best thing I built was a bunker that had two lava flows to either side of the door.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
The Random One said:
Wait... is there asphalt in Minecraft? Asphalt you... craft by yourself?
I think it's just wool. White and black wool.

Don't drive on it.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
teh_Canape said:
true, when I first saw that parking lot, I did think of Dawn of the dead straight away.

I would like to build a detailed but mundane city in fortresscraft...and then flood it.

Sadly, I can't be arsed.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i like to build with grass and torches, so that i can has pig-friends. or, you could do this on multiplayer, like most big projects.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
I love the highway overpass in that one photo. I wonder long the highway really is.