Alice: Madness Returns Storybook App Awards $10 Off Full Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Alice: Madness Returns Storybook App Awards $10 Off Full Game

Completing the demented Alice: Madness Returns interactive storybook gives players $10 off the full game.

Anyone interested in EA's upcoming Alice: Madness Returns [http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Madness-Returns-Pc/dp/B004CD9X2W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306090548&sr=8-3] that owns an iPad or iPhone now has an opportunity to get themselves a handy dandy discount. EA has released an Alice: Madness Returns interactive storybook which rewards anyone completing it with $10 off the full game from the EA Store.

Madness Returns is a sequel to American McGee's Alice in Wonderland [http://www.amazon.com/American-McGees-Alice-Pc/dp/B00004UE0V] with Alice having lost much of her mind in an insane asylum, which consequently twisted Wonderland around too. The sequel brings Alice back to Wonderland, and guess what, it's still pretty messed up.

The interactive storybook app uncovers the lost years of Alice's stay in Rutledge Asylum with a prequel story that bridges the gap between Alice and Madness Returns. Players will experience creepy asylum tests expressed through interactive animations and sequences created by the same artists behind the game. They'll be able to collect Wonderland treasures and even take advantage of the iPhone 4 and iPad 2's smile recognition to grin like the Cheshire Cat.

Did I mention the app is completely free? So, playing the free prequel to a game can help you get it for cheaper (from the EA Store). There must be a catch somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Download the interactive storybook here [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alice-madness-returns/id438354030?mt=8#]

Alice: Madness Returns will be released for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on June 14, 2011.

Thanks for the tip Dududf [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/dududf]!

quantumcat

May 6, 2011
I'd say the "catch" is it's still cheaper from Amazon. :)

edit: For console versions, anyway.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Xzi said:
Don't be douchebags, EA. I shouldn't have to join in on the Apple hipster crowd to be able to take advantage of this. You want free marketing for your game? Fine, I've already told a bunch of people about it that wouldn't have even been aware it was a sequel otherwise. So where's my $10 off?
You know, every time I spot one of your posts, you seem to be whining about something. They're doing something good here, so quit yo' jibber-jabber.

OT: That's cool, but I want it on my PS3. Thanks anyway, EA.

Cameron Wright

Mar 18, 2010
It's just the promo code Alicemadness, I'm pretty sure anyone can use that code regardless if you play the storybook app.

quantumcat

May 6, 2011
KaosuHamoni said:
OT: That's cool, but I want it on my PS3. Thanks anyway, EA.
You can buy it for the PS3 from the EA store. But Amazon's selling it for $45 for the PS3 vs $50 from EA (after the code) so still not worth it.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
I'd love some disount for the PC EA store version (you know, with the first game packed in?), but as I'm and android user and not in the US... damn you, EA!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This seems like a cool idea. Too bad I don't have an iPad, nor would I want to get my copy from the EA store. I'll just buy it in-store. Still, points are due.
I can't wait for this game. I watched the story trailer the other day. That is some messed up stuff. Looking good!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Meh, it's a nice promotion and I downloaded the app anyway (if only because I'm a fan of the first game) but I already preordered the game at my local Gamestop anyway, so sadly the discount isn't going to do me any good.

I hope everyone else gets good use out of it, though. The code, for the record, is ALICEMADNESS, which is easy enough to figure out, I suppose, but if you're interested in the game pick up the app anyway if you're able to. At the very least it'll fill you i a bit on the story of the first one if you've never played it.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
Well, ALICEMADNESS does not work for the euro EA store... D:

edit: but if you answer the "why did you leave the store with something in your basket" question, you get 10% off... Marginally cheaper than buying the physical version that does not come with the original alice.

quantumcat

May 6, 2011
nagi said:
Well, ALICEMADNESS does not work for the euro EA store... D:

edit: but if you answer the "why did you leave the store with something in your basket" question, you get 10% off... Marginally cheaper than buying the physical version that does not come with the original alice.
I found it odd EA limited original Alice to their digital download only for PC, but bundled it with all console versions.

(source: http://www.americanmcgee.com/2011/05/20/normally-youd-find-a-puzzle-here/ )

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Well, if you have an iPhone or iPad, then this is an amazing opportunity. But why on earth would you have one of those?! Please release this as a standalone PC title or console game. Restricting the availability to such an overpriced gadget isn't exactly incentive enough to purchase. Doesn't stop me from wanting it, though.

Jul 22, 2009
Xzi said:
Don't be douchebags, EA. I shouldn't have to join in on the Apple hipster crowd to be able to take advantage of this. You want free marketing for your game? Fine, I've already told a bunch of people about it that wouldn't have even been aware it was a sequel otherwise. So where's my $10 off?

It's $10 off a game, for free, they may not have handled it perfectly, but there is not much to complain about here.

Get over yourself.

Jul 22, 2009
Xzi said:
$10 off for free if you own an iPhone. Wouldn't be such a big deal if more and more promotions weren't starting to go in this direction. For either Apple or Facebook. I mean, it's bad enough that we have console/platform exclusives to divide us, but now we have carrier/phone exclusives too? Quite frankly the $10 off deal doesn't piss me off quite as much as missing out on the content in the app itself. Especially since I loved the first game, as a PC exclusive lest I remind, and want to see the story progress. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to play this app as a flash game on my PC.

Promotions done right don't exclude people. I mean, that's counter-intuitive to the idea of promoting your product, after all.
That I can more understand, as an act of generosity its a (flawed) but satisfactory approach, however I'd also like the app and I will never buy into Apple, though I do have a Facebook account.

EA, nearly...

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
While we are at it, how dare those douchebags at superbrothers releasing Swords & Sworcery as an Iphone and Ipad exclusively? Too hip to make a flash version of it?
But why stop there? I want all those Console exclusive titles to be available on PC. I'm damn well entitled to that.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Speakercone said:
not available in the UK. fun. Oh well.
Thus why I couldn't find it on the AppStore. Dammit, ea, I wasn't gonna go for the ea store thing but I still wanted to play it.