Metal Gear Solid Voice Actors Kept in the Dark on Rising's Development

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Metal Gear Solid Voice Actors Kept in the Dark on Rising's Development

Two years after Metal Gear Solid: Rising's unveil at E3, the series' English actors have yet to be approached by Konami.

"There's been no information and I don't know what's going on," Raiden's voice actor Quinton Flynn said in a recent interview with The Gaming Liberty. "I've tried to make efforts to find out what's happening and have not been able to get any answers at all."

Fans of the series, including Flynn, assumed he would reprise the role of Raiden since he was listed on the game's [a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1602611/"]IMDB page[/a]. However, Flynn said Raiden's dialogue for the game was supposed to be recorded last year, and he has yet to receive a phone call from the Rising team.

"If they are going on and doing it without me, I can't understand why," Flynn said. "Of course Hideo Kojima is not involved in Rising in the same way he was with the other games but I just don't know what's going on. I don't know whose [sic] producing or what's happening."

Flynn said he called Solid Snake voice actor David Hayter, who told Flynn he is clueless on not only Flynn's role in the MGS spin-off but also his own. Unlike Flynn, however, Hayter's name was never listed on the game's IMDB page. With rumors of a delayed 2012 release and E3 around the corner, Rising's team has some explaining to do and E3 seems like the right time and place for it.

"Maybe they've been working on lots of other stuff for this game and now they're ready for me. But I don't have high hopes, let's just put it that way," Flynn said.

It's hard to imagine an MGS game without the voices of Hayter and Flynn, which begs the question: is the game currently in development hell? It's also possible that Konami acquired new voice actors to further distance this spin-off from the rest of the MGS series - something the developer claimed [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101706-Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-More-Than-Just-a-Spin-Off-Says-Producer"]to be a goal[/a], in the past. It's also been suggested by fans that Solid Snake won't make an appearance at all and the Raiden featured in the game is a different one from past games, thus using Flynn would only confuse players.

In any case, Flynn is saddened by his possible disappearance from the series.

"I'll be hurt. I'll be disappointed and I'll be angry as well," Flynn said.

In addition to voicing characters in popular series (including Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts), Flynn has given his voice to Raiden in the Metal Gear Solid series since the character's introduction in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001).

Source: [a href="http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/05/21/raiden-speaks-an-interview-with-quinton-flynn-part-1/"]The Gaming Liberty[/a], via [a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302576/metal-gear-solid-rising-a-no-show-for-raiden-actor/"]CVG[/a]

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I really hope they don't drop Flynn. I can't imagine Raiden being voiced by anyone else. People might not like Raiden, but Flynn is a cool guy, and if hes going to be fired from his role as Raiden then they should at least tell him.

Also you mispelled Flynn's name, 6th (or 7th if you count the bolded one) paragraph down, last sentence.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Dulcinea said:
I'd forgotten all about this game... Yeah, can't say any news of it is exciting. I'll let the series have its semi-dignified death on MGS4.
Peace Walker was great.

Also, this is a downer.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I can't figure why they'd get rid of Flynn. He's extremely talented, and I'm betting attached enough to the role to work even for very little.

P.S. Thanks

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Dulcinea said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Dulcinea said:
I'd forgotten all about this game... Yeah, can't say any news of it is exciting. I'll let the series have its semi-dignified death on MGS4.
Peace Walker was great.

Also, this is a downer.
Never played it. Forgot all about it, actually. Opps.

Blame Monster Hunter!
Y'know...Peace Walker actually has a monster hunter mode once you beat all the Extra Ops. Just throwing that out there.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I may have no love for Raiden but Flynn is a great voice actor. I also can't fathom the idea of having a Metal Gear Solid title without a Snake even making an appearance in it.

Time will tell if this will be a flop or not.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
When Cyber Ninja was voiced by Rob Paulson in the GCN version of MGS1, I did not mind.
But I guess that was not the main character.
Except for Cam Clarke and David Hayder I do not think I am *so* attached to all the voice actors but Raiden is pretty huge so I may change that opinion when I hear an English trailer.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Well I do hope he gets the job, it'd be kind of a dick move if they didn't give it to him...

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Why would they drop them (assuming this story is the truth)? Both did amazing jobs in the games and I fail to see how making them having the same voices really makes the games feel exactly like the main MGS series.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Hmmm.. why wouldn't they use him? It would be odd not to.

That said, I also wouldn't treat IMDB as a reliable source of production info, the site is notoriously rife with wild speculation regarding unreleased stuff. It could just be a fan making an assumption...

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Raiden in MGS2 = Annoying

Raiden in MGS4 = Beyond badass

Both of those times, his voice factored on the experience. Hearing Reno/Axel trying to be tough was just...bad. But whatever Flynn did in MGS4, it fit VERY well. I hope Flynn ends up getting called in for this game, and for Mr. Kojima to see that they're ruining his franchise when he's not on board.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Maybe they wanted to get everything finished before recording English voices?

Either way, I hope they get Quinton Flynn back to do Raiden. I can't imagine him being voiced by anyone else.

Adamc-mh

Jun 6, 2010
Forget rising, how about they do one more Big Boss games showing how he became a villain in Metal Gear? and then one last one where you play as The Boss giving us a little insight on her character?

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Hayter? Hayter! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYTERR!!!! (Someone had to do it :p)

I can only hope this resolves itself with both actors being called upon-MGS doesn't work without its excellent voice talent/.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
They will be fools do ditch Flynn he is a great voice actor. As for a 2012 release? I think that's VERY optimistic, I wouldn't be surprised if this game is never heard of again.