World Record Q*bert Quest Ends in Failure

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World Record Q*bert Quest Ends in Failure

An effort to set a new world record high score in Q*bert [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q*bert] came to a sad end over the weekend as gamer George Leutz was finally overcome by fatigue after 54 hours of play.

George Leutz has had a rough couple of months. In April, his attempt at setting a new world record Q*bert high score was thwarted when his machine reset after somebody unplugged a nearby system, but not until Leutz had sunk a solid 36 hours of play time into the game. This past weekend of May 21 he took another shot at the title but again fell short, this time because of simple exhaustion.

"No plugs were pulled," said Mike Vacca, a fellow gamer and friend who has kept Leutz company through both of his record-setting attempts. "His fatigue got the best of him towards the end and the number of lives he had dropped pretty fast. The one hour alone he lost close to 75 men."

The current Q*bert high score stands at 33,373,520 points, set by Rob Gerhardt back in 1983. Leutz racked up almost 24.7 million points but it's estimated that he'll have to play for more than 70 hours, non-stop, if he wants to set a new mark. And before you ask, I have no idea what he does when he has to pee.

Leutz has another run at the Q*bert crown scheduled for June.

Source: Examiner.com [http://www.examiner.com/arcade-game-in-national/fatigue-brings-q-bert-record-attempt-to-an-end-after-54-hours-of-play]

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Man, I remember playing Q-Bert when I was a young'un. I could barely last an hour before frustration or fear would take over and get me killed. :(

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
And before you ask, I have no idea what he does when he has to pee.
Probably the same thing a lot of other guys do when they need to pee.

A.) Hold it in.
B.) Pee into a bottle/other urine containing device.
C.) Wet themselves.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
This man needs to have this issue looked at. He's clearly got some issues. He needs to look into a less popular game with a lower score. I'm not going to look at him as a role model, because of how reckless he is. He's not a hero, he's just a sad man with an obsession.

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
This man needs to have this issue looked at. He's clearly got some issues. He needs to look into a less popular game with a lower score. I'm not going to look at him as a role model, because of how reckless he is. He's not a hero, he's just a sad man with an obsession.
Whats wrong with an obsession? I don't think he ever proclaimed himself to be a hero, or a role model

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
i wonder, would he have made it the 1st time if the cord remained in? who knows, maybe 3rd times the charm.

Saikonate

Nov 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
In high score runs like this, the player accumulates a huge number of extra lives as they play - they can just go to the bathroom and die repeatedly while they do.

vxicepickxv said:
I wouldn't call Q*Bert an especially popular game, especially when it comes to high score runs like this. The guy who beat the Asteroids high score recently had to stay up for a crazy length of time too.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
icyneesan said:
Andy Chalk said:
Probably the same thing a lot of other guys do when they need to pee.

A.) Hold it in.
B.) Pee into a bottle/other urine containing device.
C.) Wet themselves.
A.) I some will power, but holding it for 70 HOURS... i don't see that happening.
B.) I don't remember Qbert well enough to rember if it pauses or not, but, on higher levels you just can't take your hands of the controls long enough to... er, aim. And i'm not sure how pausing works itself into a world record attempt...
C.) This, is the only possible was i see it going down. maybe he's got him some depends on or something...

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I believe they have a pause button for toilet stuff. Once a 12 yr old i Canada i believe ahd to beat a Space Invaders score. they got him an arcade cabinet with a custom pause button.

Paul Hearding

Creator of Pro-gamer Gauntlet
Oct 1, 2010
Woah. 54 straight hours... I've done some hardcore gaming, but never even close to that long. Also, he's got to remain extremely focused throughout.

Best of luck next time, George.