Hefty Dead Island Walkthrough Finally Shows Off Gameplay

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hefty Dead Island Walkthrough Finally Shows Off Gameplay

[gametrailers=714103]

Dead Island's 12-minute walkthrough trailer is nothing short of impressive.

Deep Silver has the perfect solution for anyone that was a little disappointed with the lack of gameplay in in-game teaser [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Island-Pc/dp/B004PAGJMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306167895&sr=8-3]. How about a 12 minute gameplay demo instead?

Dead Island made a lot of noise when it first came onto the scene with a heart-breaking cinematic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107826-Dead-Island-The-Best-Zombie-Game-Trailer-Ever], but gamers have been curious about what the game would actually be like. Going by the gameplay demo, my thought is: "possibly awesome."

Deep Silver brand manager Vincent Kummer runs us through a game that looks something like Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002EE1P2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306168526&sr=8-2]-esque weapons.

The demo starts in a lifeguard tower, which is a hub of sorts. Kummer reveals that players can either follow the main storyline, or wander around the island of Banoi on their own, which looks just as gorgeous as it did in the teaser. You might come across a woman who has barricaded herself in a home with her car. You can either choose to help the woman, or steal her car and leave her to die.

There will be 4 different characters and classes to play as in Dead Island. The character shown in the demo is a business woman, still wearing her heels. Kummer says that as she progresses, she'll begin to exude more confidence through her one-liners and related dialogue, so players won't be silent protagonists. He adds that Dead Island's storyline will provide 25-30 hours of gameplay with seameless drop-in, drop-out 4-player co-op throughout the entire thing.

There are guns available in Dead Island, but combat is primarily melee focused. Players can craft baseball bats with nails, weapons that shock, or even knives with explosives attached. The demo shows a wide variety of weapon types, including those that can be thrown and then pried out of dead foes.

Zombies themselves, called "vessels," also come in various types, including the slow type, the quick Infected, the straitjacket-wearing Ram, and the exploding suicide zombie. There are even mini-bosses such as the Thug that knock the player down with punches if they get in close. If enemies get too tough, players can go into a powerful rage mode where they slice zombies to bits. Defeating enemies awards XP, as does completing quests, which can presumably be used to beef up your character even further.

At E3, Kummer promises Deep Silver will show off more of the game's city and co-op multiplayer. I didn't expect Dead Island to look this good, did you?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm intrigued apart from one thing; First-person melee combat.

...Oh wait, it's even worse: First-person melee combat with a fatigue bar. *ugh*

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Seems like it could be good, I am looking forward to this game now.
Also, the narrator's voice is amazing. What an accent!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Looks fun, will enjoy playing this with some friends. Now hopefully they do something about that god awful HUD

Also if they wanna focus on melee combat there should be a way to attach your knife/melee weapon to your gun.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I knew the game would be awesome the moment the guy received the 'Diving Knife of Havok'

I'm definitely going to get this game. Who doesn't love putting the smackdown on thousands of zombies? WHO, DAMMIT?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Melee weapons? Huh. Well, I hope everyone outside Australia has fun with this game.

cydvis

Mar 2, 2011
you can craft electric machetes and explosive C4 knives but it's hard to find or use a gun? really ?

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
That looked really nice, actually.

I'm not usually a fan of the whole zombie setting, but this intrigues me.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I don't believe that it is possible to express how much want I have right now.

I'm gonna have to alter my budget to allow for this game.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
I cannot fucking wait for this.
There was only one part of this trailer I didn't like, and that would be that the character is wearing heels. When you need to run and kick, why the fuck would you wear heels of all things.
I love the Diablo-style weapon system, and the upgrading looks neat. Seems a great, realistic game crossed with some of the Dead Rising-style fun.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
cydvis said:
you can craft electric machetes and explosive C4 knives but it's hard to find or use a gun? really ?
I prefer a focus on melee combat, I have plenty of shooters damnit!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
HankMan said:
When somebody posted this earlier, a lot of the comments were really disappointed. I'm actually glad they put so much into the game play.

And Xia Mei is actually part of the hotel staff.
Let's just hope the story dosen't bored us to death

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Where the hell is my dark, atmospheric zombie game?!

Damn you all, I hope you get infected with the T virus!

Oh well, the bastard child of Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising will have some fans I guess.

EDIT: Why can't I get a bastard child of Amnesia and Resident Evil???
Because zombies don't work that way.

Amnesia sold it's athmosphere on the concept of the unseen, often formless evil out to get you. The zombies in amnesia, if you can call them that, always seem to be mrere fingerpuppets of a malevolent force unseen.

Zombies however are the complete opposite. They are just undead humans. Therefore they are ultimately the most well-known horror villan possible, even better known than a single murderer.

So the reason why a game you describe doesn't exist is because you demand to unify two completely opposed concepts of atagonist.

However, maybe I got you wrong. Maybe you are implying a more resource-based zombie game, where you can't just mow down the zombies but instead have to hide and avoid them, like "combat" worked in amnesia.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
This does look a lot better than I was expecting it to based on the gimmick trailer.

If they can keep the mission structure working in the environment (without devolving into hellish boredom like Far Cry 2), and the melee feels as good as something like Condemned, then I'll keep my eye on this.

[sub]Oh, and I hope it doesn't have the time limit from Dead Rising. That pissed me off so much.[/sub]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, that was depressing and disappointing for my wallet... Looks like I'm going to have to find another $50 to spend on this... :/