Credit Card Companies Delay Japan's PSN Return

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Credit Card Companies Delay Japan's PSN Return

The PSN isn't coming back to Japan any time soon, thanks to a number of concerns from the country's credit card companies.

As the PSN is gradually brought back online across the globe, there's one nation where the service is still down: Japan. Sony's home country is still PSN-less, and no indication has been given about when it will be re-launched. The reason, it turns out, isn't due to infrastructure issues, but to demands from both the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, as well as various credit card companies.

Basically, the two groups are asking that Sony detail protections it has in place for Japanese credit card users. According to Saturday's edition of the Asashi Shimbun daily, credit card companies are concerned because (in Japan) would have to reimburse card users if their cards are fraudulently used.

The concern is rather understandable: In America, Sony signed an insurance deal that will cover up to $1 million in damages if a card is stolen. No such deal exists in Japan.

Meanwhile, there's also this:

It appears that Sony has not been forthcoming with providing card companies with requested information. The Japan Consumer Credit Card Association has a policy in place where in the event that member information is leaked, the offending company must pass the information on to the card companies so that they can strengthen their watch for misuse. Sony says that while it cannot rule out the possibility that card data has leaked out, it is currently investigating whether it has.

METI has repeatedly asked Sony to clarify its policy on card user safety. According to Asahi, Sony has at long last begun to respond.

It certainly sucks for Japanese gamers who've been patiently waiting for the PSN to return, especially since it sounds like it's being held up by red tape rather than actual tech limitations. Hopefully things will get ironed out soon.

Source: Andriasang via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/05/23/report-credit-card-companies-holding-psn-japan>GamePolitics

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
On of my friends is in Japan, and I have noticed that he hasn't hopped back on like everyone else. Japanese gamers, you all have my sympathies. This must really suck.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Government and law. Slows everything down. A bullet fired in a courtroom would take a year to hit anything.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
vansau said:
The concern is rather understandable: In America, Sony signed an insurance deal that will cover up to $1 million in damages if a card is stolen. No such deal exists in Japan.
I'm not seeing why that would make a difference. The insurance offer only covers identity restoration costs, legal defense expenses, and lost wages. It doesn't cover losses to the credit card company. Under those terms, the American credit card companies are equally exposed to risk as are their Japanese counterparts.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Government and law. Slows everything down. A bullet fired in a courtroom would take a year to hit anything.

This really does suck for Japanese gamers, but whatcanyado? Companies protecting their interests is nothing new, after all.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
This sucks not only for Japanese gamers, but also for American expats. I attempted to log in to the American PSN server, but apparently any Japanese ISP is blocked at this time. My plans to go out and buy SOCOM 4 have been on hold for a month now.

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
its the Asian way. if its not buried under 50 feet of red tape and bureaucratic nonsense no one feels confident enough to conduct day to day business. The Red tape functions as a Shield to ensure that everyone involved is covered 6 ways from Sunday and no one loses face in the event of any unforeseen events.. makes getting anything done unnecessarily slow and ineffectual but at least unemployment is low in Asia as they are great at creating positions to navigate the endless tides of Regulations