Stolen Pixels #260: The Dark Fortress

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #260: The Dark Fortress

Watch out hackers, Sony is ready for you!

Read Full Article

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
not a angry face on the side! Whatever will they do about that :O

All that's missing is a speech bubble saying "Bo" next to the angry face and no more hacking on the PS3, for sure.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
and if that wont work, we can always say that we're very disappointed in them, and make them say that they're sorry!

its fool-proof...

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I imagine Sony's firewalls will be treated something like There's a Monster at the End of this Book [http://smollin.com/michael/tmonstr/mon001.html]. That'll keep those dastardly hackers out for sure.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Ok the (Important!) made me LOL. Good stuff there. If it hadn't already been done I would be filling out a patent application for network connection over barbed wire http://www.patchrj45cable.com/t1-over-barbed-wire-anything-but-ethernet-2007.html

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I love the addition of umlauts over the "A" in "Dark Fortress" on that sketch, really sold it for me. Umlauts evidently add credibility to anything, not just Metal musicians!

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Awesome comic - one of my favorites. Beyond the comedy it also captures the approach that Sony has apparently taken to network security in the past. It will be interesting to see if this ends up being prophetic...

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
If the White House server, with the resources of the entire federal government behind it, can be hacked multiple times, why should Sony be any different? Sony's situation just makes clear what everybody should have long ago figured out: once you've become an attractive target for hackers, there's not much you can do but respond retroactively to them. There's no proactive defense. If they want in, they'll get in and there ain't nothing anyone can do to stop them.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
You had such a golden Shamus, GOLDEN chance to make a Mordor and all that joke in a subtle way, yet you dribbled into another 'Hur Hur, physical hacker touch joke'.

Why Shamus, WHY? You were the chosen one!

mneme

Oct 25, 2009
I normally love your stuff, but I think you missed the mark here, turning "We increased security, and no we're not going to tell you our internal architecture" into a fairly silly joke.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Alas, it didn't work... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286553-Sony-Hacked-Again][footnote]Yeah, I know that's not PSN.[/footnote]

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
Holy crap; the "make.believe" think is their real advertising slogan. I thought you were just making fun of them. All you need to do is add the word "security" underneath.

Postal47

Jul 20, 2009
RJ-45 is a connector standard, not a cable standard. I think you meant cat-5 or cat-6 cable with barbed wire. I'd like to see the IEEE standard for that!

Postal47

Jul 20, 2009
JDKJ said:
If the White House server, with the resources of the entire federal government behind it, can be hacked multiple times, why should Sony be any different?.
Because unlike the federal government, Sony has to keep it's customers happy to make a profit and stay in business. Bradley Manning (who is not a hacker) was able to "steal" (allegedly steal) secrets from the DOD by simply going to a DOD computer and burning them onto a Lady Gaga cd. They (the DOD) didn't even have basic Windows permissions set up properly! My point is, don't use the government as your gold standard for information security.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Haha, I like the nice touch of them spelling "deterrent" wrong and having to fix it.