New Torchwood Trailer Gets a Little Gun Happy

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Torchwood Trailer Gets a Little Gun Happy

A change of venue and a few new faces are also on the cards for the Doctor Who spinoff.

With the fourth season of Torchwood arriving on screens in just a few weeks, Access Hollywood has given us our first look at what the show - subtitled "Miracle Day" - has in store for us, and it seems that fans of action, guns and explosions could be in for a treat.

The first three seasons were just the work of the BBC, the new season is a joint production between the BBC and the American cable channel Starz. As it explains in the trailer, the premise for Miracle Day is that for one whole day, no one on Earth dies. Unfortunately, as miraculous as this is, it's not entirely a good thing. "It's great news for some people," said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106786-Fourth-Season-of-Torchwood-Gets-a-New-Subtitle-and-a-Plot] show creator Russell T Davies earlier this year. "But globally it's an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you're affecting everyone on the planet. That's where the Torchwood team comes in."

Along with returning cast members Eve Myles and John Barrowman, who play Gwen Cooper and Captain Jack Harkness respectively, the new season will feature ER alumni Mekhi Phifer and Independence Day star Bill Pullman. Phifer plays CIA agent Rex Matheson and Pullman plays convicted murder turned celebrity Oswald Jones.

The trailer seems to be a pretty big shift away from what the BBC has done in the past with Torchwood, which some will undoubtedly put down to the influence of Starz on the show. It will be interesting to see if the BBC puts together a trailer of its own though, as would be an easy way to gauge if the show really has become an action-packed rollercoaster ride, or if that's just how Starz has decided to package it for an American audience.

Torchwood: Miracle Day airs on Starz on July 8th. The BBC has yet to announce a definitive air date, but its believed that it will start around the same time.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/05/clip-of-torchwood-miracle.php]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Whooh there. That's far too exciting. And I didn't see one single corridor being run down. This is just not British.... For one, this has a budget.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Even if this was just the American trailer, I thought it still looked good. And it wasn't raining. No grey skies at all. Definately not British.

WelshDanny

May 10, 2010
Not sure if I like! Seems rather different in tone to the 'traditional' series. But I do like Torchwood. And Gwen.

I for one welcome more Welsh people in American shows.

Is anyone going to call anyone else a wanker? That's British.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Apoplectic with rage, can barely form coherent sentences.

Need to go for a smoke and a lie down....

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Kaboom!!

Seriously, all Doctor Who Episodes ever have not had as many explosions/guns as this trailer alone!

Tristessa

Mar 28, 2011
They can shoot and blow up half the world for all I care, because I love me some Torchwood! With Jane Espenson writing three episodes and co-writing two more, I'm looking forward to this new season even more.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Hmmmm... I enjoy a good action film as much as the next Roger Moore fan but I wonder whether this will not 'feel' like Torchwood as we know it. I know it did suffer a tonal shift in the second and third series but Children of Earth was flipping creepy and to go from Gwen Cooper talking into a camera about the end of the world and about Jack's Doctor not being there to guns and exposions... hmmmm...
Also, what about Rhys?!

I'm not going to pre-judge but this maybe one of those times (once again) where America should provide the funding and let the BBC get one with doing what they do best. They have been doing it for a while rememeber.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I'm holding out till the show actually airs, the guns might not even be totally in one episode, it could be to make the show seem more exciting to 'Americans', I hold judgment till I actually see it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
No.

No, no, no, no, no.

Only John Barrowman can save us now. I get that Torchwood is supposed to be an "adult Doctor Who" but that doesn't mean you can have explosions and guns every five seconds!
The first 3 series of Torchwood have been great and had nothing larger than a handgun and then they port it to America and this happens!

So. Fucking. Angry!

Edit: And what's up with Gwen using a portable rocket launcher to take down that helicopter? In previous series of Torchwood all they would have to do is have Jack stand in the path of the chopper, have him be awesome and the chopper pilot would have smashed himself into the ground out of sheer awe at Jack's awesomeness!

Edit2: Why does this always happen with ports to America? Shows that start in America are normally awesome! Stargate, Star Trek, Lost etc, they aren't all filled with explosions in their trailers to entice the audience. So why do this? I get that all those explosions and guns might be every scene in the entire series but they feel compelled to shove as much tough guy guns and explosions to appeal to non fans that it's insulting to people who have followed TW since it started!

/rant
Right. I think I'm ok now

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Haha!

Come on guys, don't moan! I'm a massive Who fan from back in the day (7th Doctor ftw) and this actually looks pretty good! Children of Earth was fantastic, and this is just another progression. Don't knock it before you've seen it.

It's still written by RTD, still has the two central characters, it's just set in the US and looks like it has a ludicrous budget. I mean, imagine if RTD had that budget for T:CoE, it probably would look similar!

Don't write it off just based on a trailer that's obviously aimed at a US audience and is naturally going to play up the action sequences.

I'm also excited that it features writing by Jane Espenson, who did fantastic work for Buffy and Galactica, and is currently doing great stuff for Game of Thrones. She one of the best writers in modern sci-fi television, and her involvement is a big win for Torchwood.

I'm looking forward to it :)

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
At least it looks somewhat interesting, I always thought the normal Torchwood was pseudo-serious, poorly made bullshit.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, seeming as torchwood was always the more serious, violent and action orientated brother of doctor who, it almost makes sense that it became somewhat americanised, not to mean that as an insult, America usually does this kind of show better.

I look forward to it.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
That looks awful....just bad bad, so very bad.

It's Americanised in the worst possible way, there are plenty of good American shows, they don't look like that.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Ooh! I saw Lauren Ambrose in there! Love her.

As for the show, if it's the same writers, I'm game. British, American, Russian... whatever. I need me some John Barrowman.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Looks like it could be good. I wouldn't judge it too much yet, I imagine that all the explosions we see in the trailer are taken from across the whole series (which I think is 12 episodes) so there's not necessarily going to be that density of excitement in the real thing. It's really not uncommon for trailers to do that.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Egh, I hated Torchwood up until most of season 3 but watched it as any good Whovian would. This returning series doesn't look a whole lot more promising, but I'll give it a try. At least it can't suck as much as "The Cyberwoman." I hope.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Might just watch this with my eyes closed so I can listen to Eve Myles yelling at people and blowing things up. Ever since she voiced Merrill, I can't hear her without thinking of Dragon Age II.