Mortal Kombat: Legacy Finally Breaks Out the Ninjas

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mortal Kombat: Legacy Finally Breaks Out the Ninjas

Ever wanted to know what Scorpion was like before he was a fire-breathing, skull-faced, instrument of vengeance? Well, here's your chance.

After nearly two months of waiting, Mortal Kombat: Legacy has begun to tell the tale of everyone's favorite palette-swapped ninjas, Scorpion and Sub-Zero, and as is fast becoming the series' trademark, the change of characters has also brought a complete change of tone as well.

The story that links the two ninjas is probably one of the most interesting in the Mortal Kombat canon, as it's dripping with murder and betrayal. The details of the story have shifted in the game, as new releases have added new characters and details, but the core details - that Scorpion and Sub-Zero are members of rival ninja clans, and Scorpion comes back from the dead to avenge his death, and the death of his family, at Sub-Zero's hands - have remained solid.

This new episode shows us director Kevin Tancharoen's take on that story, who through a combination of directing and writing - Tanchoaroen also wrote the episode - tries to lend a little more emotional weight to the tale. As a two-part episode, it can afford to take a little time getting to gory part of the story, and the first half is much more about establishing what kind of a man Scorpion was before he became a vengeful specter, then watching the two ninjas fight for ten minutes.

As befits two of the most popular characters in the Mortal Kombat canon, the episode is one of the better ones, with beautiful scenery and an interesting take on the story. Tancharoen makes you wait to get a really good look at Scorpion and Sub-Zero as you know and love them, but it makes it all the more exciting when they finally do meet.

Although they don't appear in this episode, the credits also reveal that we will meet the sorcerer Quan Chi - who resurrected Scorpion as a ghost in the games - and once again encounter Shang Tsung as part of this story arc. It seems pretty likely that Scorpion will make a deal with the devil - or at least, one of his representatives - in order to get the revenge he seeks.

Source: Machinima [http://www.machinima.com]

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well it is one of the better episodes, I just hope the proper fight between Scorpion and Sub-Zero is a good one.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
One of the best so far, I've liked all them except for the Mileena/Kitana episodes.

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
I kinda wish they had native Japanese speakers and the subs were a bit off of the original dialog. But, other than that minor detail, it was a good episode. I look forward to the next one!

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Yeah definitely one of, if not the, best so far.

I quite liked this take too - showing Scorpion as the good guy and Sub-Zero as bad (though Bi-Han was a bit of a dick anyway). I'm wondering if Noob will appear in later episodes then? I know that he is created until after the first game, and this series is a prequel, but you never know. Wouldn't mind seeing more Lin Kuei like Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor too.

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
hey, scorpion and subzero were chinese not japanese, last time i checked. how come?

edit: im not so sure about scorpion, but subzero was definately chinese, from the lin kuei clan.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
fenderstrat said:
hey, scorpion and subzero were chinese not japanese, last time i checked. how come?

edit: im not so sure about scorpion, but subzero was definately chinese, from the lin kuei clan.
Scorpion - Japanese
Subzero - Chinese

Every time someone calls Subzero a ninja I'm reminded of Brain Smasher: A Love Story.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Good episode. Though since living in Japan, I've been spoiled rotten. Americans or non-native Japanese speakers speaking Japanese makes me flat out shiver in pain. It's painful to listen to.

Nice to see the story path they are taking with Scorpian and Sub-Zero though, the Kitana and Mileena episodes were weird.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Dragonborne88 said:
Good episode. Though since living in Japan, I've been spoiled rotten. Americans or non-native Japanese speakers speaking Japanese makes me flat out shiver in pain. It's painful to listen to.

Nice to see the story path they are taking with Scorpian and Sub-Zero though, the Kitana and Mileena episodes were weird.
At least they try? Sometimes it is painful, but I'd rather them attempt Japanese than just balls out speak English 24-7.

And I did not like the Kitana and Mileena episdoes... they were awkward.