Massive Final Fantasy XIV Changes Feature Battle With God of Fire

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Massive Final Fantasy XIV Changes Feature Battle With God of Fire

Square Enix has detailed a massive list of future Final Fantasy XIV improvements, including a new job system and a battle with the Ifrit.

nix subscription fees [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Pc/dp/B002I0JJ2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306249561&sr=8-1] until the game could be brought up to speed. Instead of just talking about it, Square recently detailed a huge list of specific improvements that it hopes will bring fans back to the game.

To start off, Square is revamping the battle system to "reward effort" and "reduce monotony." It's working on an auto-attack system that'll move battles along with player sanity intact. Square aims for the revisions to cater to both to solo and party play.

In addition, quests will be revised to center on rewards, the crafting system is being expanded with tweaks and new recipies, Materia crafting is being added, the user interface will undergo changes, players will be able to acquire in-game achievements, new modes of transport are in the works, and Square is adding a "shiny new job system." Square says the job system is a "proper system," and not just "renamed classes." In regards to transport, the company is giving chocobos "a lot of thought."

All of that is well and good, but mechanics mean nothing if there isn't anything fun or epic to do in the game. To that end, Square has revealed: "The long-awaited battle with the primal Ifrit is on the way!" Ifrit is known in the Final Fantasy series as a popular fire-based summon. Further, Square says that more primal battles will be added in the future.

Seriously, Square Enix appears to be working really hard at making Final Fantasy XIV better. There's a whole grid of changes and their progress here [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11012]. I didn't think I'd take another look at the game after having mediocre experience with it at launch, but with changes such as these I might change my mind.

Source: Square Enix Forums [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11012]

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
So basically to fix the game they have to completely rebuild it. This isn't a patch they are making a new game, how much is this costing them?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
digital warrior said:
how much is this costing them?
It doesn't really matter. Any money they spend on this they can get back three-fold by releasing the FF7 remake.

Gametek

May 20, 2011
"Improvement"? A battle with ifrit? And what is the improvement? You fight him and for the first time he don't became a summon? like shiva in one of the other? And what is the point? The monster on ff with the same name are just that: different monster with simmilar attribute and the same name!

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
It sounds like the're just making FF XIV into FF XI which still seems to be chugging along just fine.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
This game really is a train wreck, isn't it? At first I was skeptical, but willing to give it a shot. Now I'm just not interested at all. Now they are giving the game mild improvements...

Here's an improvement:

SIMPLIFY THE DAMN GAME. It really should NOT take someone 5 minutes to go and sell something. It shouldn't be so overly complicated. It's ridiculous. The quest system is horrible, the combat is horrible, just... everything is bad.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
When I get warm reports that the game is fixed and everything is wonderful sunshine and lolly pops I might try it...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
It sounds like the're just making FF XIV into FF XI which still seems to be chugging along just fine.
Wait, XIV is somehow WORSE than XI? How is that even possible?

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
This is all just fancy beta testing for the PS3 version. That's the market Squeenix really wants. Just making sure the game is playable first.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Oh boy. I will say this, FFIX by FAR is a better FF game than FF7. But unfortunately it is not as popular because there are more Rose-tinted glasses wearing fans of FF7 than FFIX. FFIX is such an awesome FF game. I want a remake of THAT.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Negatempest said:
Oh boy. I will say this, FFIX by FAR is a better FF game than FF7. But unfortunately it is not as popular because there are more Rose-tinted glasses wearing fans of FF7 than FFIX. FFIX is such an awesome FF game. I want a remake of THAT.
Phlakes said:
digital warrior said:
how much is this costing them?
It doesn't really matter. Any money they spend on this they can get back three-fold by releasing the FF7 remake.
Right, except they don't really have that kind of money at this point. Square is in the shit financially, and were they to make a Final Fantasy VII remake, it would bleed them dry considering how much games cost these days.

Either way, I'm a bit skeptical about this. So the game that was initially released was basically a beta test and now they are tweaking it further? I don't understand.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
After experiencing the utter failure of this trainwreck, I can honestly say no other game--MMO or not-- has so seriously bored me so fast...ever. I don't see SE ever changing enough of the gameplay or art to make me even think of trying it again.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Aku_San said:
This game really is a train wreck, isn't it? At first I was skeptical, but willing to give it a shot. Now I'm just not interested at all. Now they are giving the game mild improvements...

Here's an improvement:

SIMPLIFY THE DAMN GAME. It really should NOT take someone 5 minutes to go and sell something. It shouldn't be so overly complicated. It's ridiculous. The quest system is horrible, the combat is horrible, just... everything is bad.
I couldnt agree more. Make it simple, and dont try and add 500 new features that take new players weeks or months to figure out how they work. Go back to basics and they can fix the game!!

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Materia crafting is being added
Wait...what!?

This is NOT FFVII, this is a totally different game. Materia is crystallized Mako, from FFVII. It has nothing to do with FFXIV. I'm all for crafting in the game, don't get me wrong, but Materia? Really!?

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Hopefully Square Enix will end up making a profit on the game; it's a damn shame that their profits fell through the floor because of this game. On the other hand though, if the 5 new IPs turn out to be good then I think they can be forgiven.

TLS14 said:
Tom Goldman said:
Materia crafting is being added
Wait...what!?

This is NOT FFVII, this is a totally different game. Materia is crystallized Mako, from FFVII. It has nothing to do with FFXIV. I'm all for crafting in the game, don't get me wrong, but Materia? Really!?
It's not going to be materia in the "crystallized life energy" sense, but I do think it'll have the same effect. You know, applying fire "materia" to your sword will make your attacks fire based, and applying it to armor will make you more resistant to armor.