CD Projekt Unveiling Brand New Witcher Project at E3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
CD Projekt Unveiling Brand New Witcher Project at E3

CD Projekt plans to Witcher up E3 2011 with a brand new game announcement.

RPG fans might have only recently stepped back into Geralt's shoes in Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Pc/dp/B003VJNPPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306270857&sr=8-1], released on May 17, but CD Projekt RED already has some more Witcher action to bring into the world. The company is getting ready to reveal a new project at E3 2011 that's Witcher-related, but not associated with a previous title in the series.

CD Projekt's Pavol Buday tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/spacejunker/status/73007451611480064] about the new project with little details, only saying that it'll be unveiled at E3. Fortunately, CD Projekt senior producer Tomasz Gop told Eurogamer: "I can't say anything obviously for gazillions of reasons but it is a Witcher game, and I can say that console gamers might be interested in it."

A console Witcher title called Rise of the White Wolf was report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87795-The-Witcher-Comes-To-Consoles] hinted that the project was back in action, and this new information seems to confirm that Rise of the White Wolf, or something similar, will be shown off at E3.

CD Projekt added that the project is not Witcher 3. "No, I'm not going to lie to you, we haven't started work on The Witcher 3," Gop said. "But it's possible we might do it in the future."

Whether it's Rise of the White Wolf or not, fans of the mature Witcher universe and console owners that have never played the series before really can't lose. And you never know, it could even be a Project Cafe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109507-Rumor-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-to-Cost-400] title.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-24-new-witcher-game-to-be-announced-at-e3]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Let us hope it is Rise of the White Wolf, or something similar. I really wanted that, and was sad when it was canceled. You can never have too many good RPG's! Hopefully I will be able to get that gaming PC I want soon, so I can actually play this stuff without waiting for crappy console ports...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Fuck yes. I hated the fact that Witcher was PC exclusive considering that I haven't had a decent gaming PC since '05. This excites me greatly.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
As much as I enjoy the franchise, I'm not too thrilled. CDP Red seems to have become a studio devoted to just one series, which doesn't bode well for them in the long run...

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Maybe its just me, but I think they should stabilize Witcher 2 before jumping headfirst into other projects.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
"Console fans might be interested" in watching us wave good bye to them, from our airship of RPG happiness.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Hobo Steve said:
Would be pretty cool to play as Dandelion for a while too.

Snowalker said:
Maybe its just me, but I think they should stabilize Witcher 2 before jumping headfirst into other projects.
Patching a game doesn't require has much staff then creating a new game, especially now that their engine is build, so they have to do something with the extra staff or fire people.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
i hope it is witcher for consoles, i really want to play it but lack of a demo and my uncertain specs prevent me from doing so.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
As long as they stay away from EA, this game has the potential to be good. Seriously, stay away from CD Projekt you grease-ball bastards! I don't want them to go the way of Bioware...

I hope that this title will introduce even more people to this developer, seeing as their work has been pc exclusive up until now. So many great games at E3 this year :D

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Snowalker said:
I'm assuming it's over ridden with bugs?
I'm playing through the first Witcher to see if I liked it (which I do) before I go on to buy the second one. But the way you're talking, I might want to hold off until a patch comes out.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
My hopes for a new Witcher game:

1. Hire a third party for the localization and make them hire actors who aren't awful.

2. Have it be about a different character or even, *gasp*, let us make one! I know it's a crazy and outlandish idea to use character creation in a WRPG, but supposedly it works quite well!

3. Hire someone who can design and implement combat systems.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
shaboinkin said:
Snowalker said:
I'm playing through the first Witcher to see if I liked it (which I do) before I go on to buy the second one. But the way you're talking, I might want to hold off until a patch comes out.
Well, not over ridden with bugs, no, it all depends on your Graphics card... Got an ATI? Go for it. (sheer irony there because nVidia is plastered all over the thing)
Got a nVidia graphics card below the the 400 series? Also, go for it.

Otherwise, yeah wait for either a patch or a driver update, cause this game has issues with high-end nVidia cards.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Snowalker said:
It's just you, it plays fine. I've only encountered one frustrating bug when I have a specific sword crafted from a schematic only for it to appear in my inventory as a piece of shit sword from act 1.

shaboinkin said:
Every game has it's bugs, the first one certainly does. The second one isn't bad at all. read above.

Get the second one, but be prepared to have your ass kicked while you relearn the mechanics.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
mireko said:
My hopes for a new Witcher game:

1. Hire a third party for the localization and make them hire actors who aren't awful.

2. Have it be about a different character or even, *gasp*, let us make one! I know it's a crazy and outlandish idea to use character creation in a WRPG, but supposedly it works quite well!

1. Witcher 2

2. Your choices matter more than in any other WRPG in The Witcher 2, I'd say that's a decent trade-off. Geralt's appearance is linked to the game world's lore.

3. Witcher 2

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I want this on ps3..
Liked the 1. but my pc broke.. so no witcher 2 for me..
Also, what are the books called and are they available in English?

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
WaaghPowa said:
Snowalker said:
It's just you, it plays fine. I've only encountered one frustrating bug when I have a specific sword crafted from a schematic only for it to appear in my inventory as a piece of shit sword from act 1.

shaboinkin said:
Every game has it's bugs, the first one certainly does. The second one isn't bad at all. read above.

Get the second one, but be prepared to have your ass kicked while you relearn the mechanics.
Really? I answered this and dispelled your entire comment with the one above yours, I wasn't talking about in-game bugs, as explained.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
mireko said:
Witcher 2 combat is fine, only real trouble with it is targeting at certain time. Now if you don't like that kind of combat not much can be done for you, don't know a combat mechanic that everyone like even when well done.

For example I know someone who liked Mount & Blade original melee animation control but who can't stand playing Warband due to slight change to it.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
If they are going to announce a console game, it will be great news. I'd really like to play Witcher 2, but I don't have a PC to run it on.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
RyQ_TMC said:
As much as I enjoy the franchise, I'm not too thrilled. CDP Red seems to have become a studio devoted to just one series, which doesn't bode well for them in the long run...
*clears throat*

Squaresoft. Final Fantasy.

AS FOR THE WITCHERS COMBAT.

It's good but it does have problems. It feels floaty. Most frustrating is geralt himself, who responds just a LITTLE too slowly- usually because he's locked in an annoying goddamn animation.

Case in point, when you use the force push sign (whatever it's called nerds, I know force push when I see it), it takes a good second or two to reready your sword. It's use for breaking enemies blocks, staggering, or stunning is almost entirely negated simply due to geralt taking forever to take a fucking command afterwards. Also annoying is the inability to climb ledges or search corpses until the game leaves combat mode, which can persist up to a minute after your last enemy is dead unless you sheath your sword (which leaves you vulnerable from things like Diggers that tend to run up on you from out of nowwhere)

Pretty much, the game and geralt simply does not respond as fast as the user can, and combat can be frustrating at certain points because of it. Despite this, the games good fun.