Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Gets 2011 Release Date UPDATED

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Gets 2011 Release Date UPDATED

The bad news is that the game's title is a lie. The good news is that it's coming out in less than a month.

Duels of the Planeswalkers has been a pretty solid hit for Wizards of the Coast, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7694-Review-Duels-of-the-Planeswalkers-on-PC-and-new-Xpac-on-XBLA>mainly because it's an excellent game so it came as no surprise when a sequel to the game was announced. However, it turns out the new game will actually be used to introduce Magic 2012, the 30th expansion set for the card game.

The sequel, Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, is actually launching a month before the retail release of the expansion comes out: The cards are due out July 15, but Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 is hitting Xbox Live Arcade, the PlayStation Network, and Steam on June 15.

According to Wizards, here's what gamers can expect from the new Duels of the Planeswalkers (aside from a first look at the cards of the Magic 2012 Core Set):

? Improved Deck Editing
? Enhanced Co-Op Game Play
? All New Multiplayer Game Mode "Archenemy"
? New Planeswalker Opponents
? New Decks and Puzzle Challenges

It's also been noted that the each version of the game will give players a different bonus card. Steam users will get a Frost Titan card, XBLA players receive a Grave Titan, and PSN players unlock the Inferno Titan.

No price point for the game has been announced yet. Presumably, it'll be somewhere in the range of its predecessor, <a href=http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Magic-The-Gathering/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410860?DownloadType=Game#LiveZone>which is currently selling for 800 MS Points (or $10).

UPDATE: Several readers asked if custom deck creation would be an option in Duels of the Plainswalkers 2012. Since I couldn't answer that question, I sent it over to Wizards of the Coast along with an inquiry about how much the game would cost. Here are the answers: The game will cost $10 and Wizards said that "Yes, custom deck creation will be an option."

So, there you have it.

Source: Wizards of the Coast

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I'd rather play Magic IRL. I like the whole community and the coming together of friends aspects. Which is a very pretentious way of saying I like to hang out with my homies.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I could be keen... though I haven't actually tried the original Duels of the Planeswalkers. If they allow people to build their own decks, I could definitely be interested.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
CounterAttack said:
I could be keen... though I haven't actually tried the original Duels of the Planeswalkers. If they allow people to build their own decks, I could definitely be interested.

I would really doubt that. Wizards makes money from magic online and that might not be in their best interest to allow full deck editing.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
vansau said:
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Gets 2011 Release Date

The bad news is that the game's title is a lie. The good news is that it's coming out in less than a month.
Should also mention you get a different promo real card for each of the three different places you can buy the game.

Steam - Frost Titan
XBLA - Grave Titan
PSN - Inferno Titan

http://community.wizards.com/fozzy989/blog/2011/04/17/duels_of_the_planeswalkers_2012_promo_announced!

Images of the three titan promos. They look so much better then m11 versions.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
I will buy it if they at least let me *remove* cards from the deck instead of just adding them to end up playing with an 83 card deck.

(also what is this? Inglip messages under my forum post?)

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Doc Cannon said:
I will buy it if they at least let me *remove* cards from the deck instead of just adding them to end up playing with an 83 card deck.

(also what is this? Inglip messages under my forum post?)
You can, just not mana = P

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Co-op AND Archenemy, neat.

Of course, I liked Jeremy Petter's idea he used when talking about his Master Edition 4 draft. A $5/month subscription to do nothing but draft.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Will this one at least follow the rules? LIke those little ones where you get to choose which mana to tap instead of picking them semi-randomly and making it so you can't play the things you want to?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Well, Ill be buying it. I'm not huge into the MTG game (I prefer the lore) but I have logged over 100 hours on DotP. If this is even better then God help me, I'm boned.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
jp201 said:
vansau said:
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Gets 2011 Release Date

Should also mention you get a different promo real card for each of the three different places you can buy the game.

Steam - Frost Titan
XBLA - Grave Titan
PSN - Inferno Titan

http://community.wizards.com/fozzy989/blog/2011/04/17/duels_of_the_planeswalkers_2012_promo_announced!

Images of the three titan promos. They look so much better then m11 versions.
Thanks, sir. That info wasn't included in the promo email that Wizards sent out, I'll add it in.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Too bad that the last one was awful for anyone serious about magic. I can't see myself buying this when I can play the magic plugin on LackeyCCG for free with way more freedom.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
You know, I can see myself getting this on steam just for that awesome promo Frost Titan....and possibly again on XBL for that Grave Titan. Don't judge me, I love me some promo cards, and when the cards in question are actually really good, I literally have to.

Oh, and the original DotP was a good enough game, and adding Archenemy to the mix sounds like a blast. Looking forward to this a fair bit.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Lol thx for sharing this. Just bought the gold pack of the first Duels + the 3 expansion in steam. It was just 20$ so ill check it out. If its good then ill 100% buy the sequel.

Im a fan of MtG and i canot afford the time to play with actual cards but hey if i can dish some direballs at home or on my laptop at work ill be happy :>

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
I've heard a rumor that you will be able to make your own decks.
That sounds cool, hopfully this game will fix some problems with the online aspect to magic i havent onces been able to fight a battle online.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Jodah said:
Well, Ill be buying it. I'm not huge into the MTG game (I prefer the lore) but I have logged over 100 hours on DotP. If this is even better then God help me, I'm boned.
Ditto. It might be my most played Steam game for some reason.

Moc

Sep 13, 2010
I did not really "like" the first game in the sense that I spend 100 of hours in front of it, I have only the elves-deck and was never able to finish the last boss of the third expasion. But I know someone who will like this game, he completed this at 100% so I think he will like the makeover, I only fear that we will need the 2HG achievements which will mean hours upon hours coop playing =)

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Yay my Grave Titan from the core set shall become common :D

Hopefully the decks will be better balanced this time round rather than just having ears of elves and the vampire deck.