ESRB Outs Witcher 2 for Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ESRB Outs Witcher 2 for Xbox 360

The ESRB appears to have outed the Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Collectors-Pc/dp/B004CQRCF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306298928&sr=8-2] with an updated rating that includes the console version of the game.

Speculation among RPG fans about a console version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was not uncommon in the weeks and months leading up to the release of the game. CD Projekt had previously tried to bring the franchise to consoles with Rise of the White Wolf, which collapsed fairly early in the development process, so a second attempt with the sequel seemed likely, and the rumor machine went up to 11 in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109601-CD-Projekt-Boss-Drops-the-Dime-on-Witcher-2-for-Consoles] thanks to a German translation of a Polish television show in which CD Projekt co-founder Michal Kicinski stated that 360 and PS3 versions were in the works.

CD Projekt refused to confirm the report but it became even more apparent that Geralt's buttons would be mashed rating page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110350-CD-Projekt-Unveiling-Brand-New-Witcher-Project-at-E3] now lists the game as a Windows PC and Xbox 360 title.

It won't be terribly surprising if it turns out to be correct [which it almost certainly is] but it will be interesting to see how the game fares as a console release. For once I actually don't want to fan the flames of the PC vs. console debate, but The Witcher is a relatively hardcore RPG when compared to games like Fable [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306299661&sr=8-1], which could keep console versions from achieving a level of success comparable to what it's enjoyed on the PC. Or is that an unfair generalization?

The ESRB doesn't have anything to say about a PlayStation 3 version of the game at the moment but it's a fair assumption that if this 360 business is legit, a PS3 edition will show up at some point as well. We've dropped a line to the good folks at CD Projekt to ask about this latest development and we'll update when we hear back.

Thanks to Lost in the Void [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Lost+In+The+Void] for the tip.

JustJuust

Mar 31, 2011
nice... nice... I don't have a very good PC, and some of the stuff I've seen of this game look really REALLY good. It would be nice to be able to play it on my xbox I guess.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Was I hallucinating when the official website for The Witcher 2 had the 360 & PS3 logo on the bottom of the screen weeks ago??

EDIT: I must have been, I don't see it now.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
That's good to hear. I can't really get it on the PC right now, due to the fact that my computer isn't particularly powerful. A PS3 version would be a godsend.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I know myself, that I'll be buying the game again for console when its released on that; if only to support one of my top studios. I'm glad to see that more will get to play this excellent game

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
This makes me happy, as my laptop can't even run Minecraft, and I'm bored with FPS games and am looking for a good story driven game. I heard mostly good things about the first one.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Oh boy! Now I too can finally play this... wait, I've already been playing this game, why would I find news of a console version exciting exactly?

Answer: I would not, except perhaps to recognize that more people getting the chance to play it can only be a good thing really.

I am curious how the game is going to look in the 360 though, considering it's pretty much hands down the most gorgeous RPG ever made to date (take a walk through the woods outside of Flotsam and tell me otherwise, and I'll show you filthy lies!), and the 360 isn't exactly "sprightly" these days; it will be interesting to see how and where they end up downscaling things to accommodate console hardware restrictions.

Oh yes, and I suppose the existence of a console version will also give myself and the other players of the PC version the requisite smug sense of superiority we cherish from those rare occasions when PC games get ported to consoles and not the other way around, as it generally leaves us in possession of the "clearly superior" version of the product. Whee!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
....but The Witcher is a relatively hardcore RPG when compared to games like Fable [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306299661&sr=8-1], which could keep console versions from achieving a level of success comparable to what it's enjoyed on the PC. Or is that an unfair generalization?
Its usually wise to air on the side of caution but I dont think being a hardcore type RPG is going to limit the console crowd. Hell look at Demon's Souls success. Plus its important to remember that a very large bulk of the RPG crowd, got their teeth cut on old school console RPG goodness. So I think its going to be a welcome addition to consoles.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
The first game wasn't exactly gamepad friendly, I'm curious to see how they're streamlining the control scheme.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Considering the Witcher 2 might set my PC on fire if I tried to play it, this is a good thing.
I know I'm ready for a complex, hardcore RPG, especially after Fable 3 and DA 2 left me feeling unsatisfied in that department.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
viranimus said:
Andy Chalk said:
....but The Witcher is a relatively hardcore RPG when compared to games like Fable [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306299661&sr=8-1], which could keep console versions from achieving a level of success comparable to what it's enjoyed on the PC. Or is that an unfair generalization?
Its usually wise to air on the side of caution but I dont think being a hardcore type RPG is going to limit the console crowd. Hell look at Demon's Souls success. Plus its important to remember that a very large bulk of the RPG crowd, got their teeth cut on old school console RPG goodness. So I think its going to be a welcome addition to consoles.
Demon's Souls wasn't a number crunching game. It was more focused on combat skill and bullshit traps.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The Witcher is a relatively hardcore RPG when compared to games like Dragon Age or Fable, which could keep console versions from achieving a level of success comparable to what it's enjoyed on the PC. Or is that an unfair generalization?
I wouldn't say it's an unfair generalization. Bioware has made it a habit of over simplifying their games most likely for consoles sake. Mass Effect 2 for example removed the large environments, and for what reason? Simplicity? Hardware limitations? Not to mention the Fable series has been removing RPG mechanics since the first game and replacing them with bull shitty "Good or bad" decision making that are rather jarring by comparison. Bioware does this too, your choices are so clearly good or bad and there's nearly no threat of consequence.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bioware RPG games, but they feel hopelessly safe as to avoid losing income. It's rather irritating.

As far as I can tell playing The Witcher 2 so far, you actually play the role of Geralt. You're decisions, as far as morality goes, are ambiguous and it comes down to how YOU feel you should continue rather than give you a good/bad guy score. You're likely to make a decision you believe to be right, only for someone to die because of it. I've never had such a hard time making decisions in dialogue with recent RPG's like I have with the Witcher.

On that note: So long as they don't change too much of the game, it would be a nice change to have something of it's caliber on consoles.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
So long as the combat is more enjoyable than DA2's (where you just press A and wait for it all to be over), I'm fine with this. In fact, I can't wait for it.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been incredibly excited for this, but my PC cant handle it. My only concern is they will try to censor it up and scale back on the things that make it what it is (dark gritty setting/gore/teets).

This is really exciting news as long as they can get the game on consoles how it was designed to be and without bullshit censors

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
All I can say is fuck yes, I want this bad. I wonder if they'll release the first game as well?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Every part of interface in Witcher was clearly made for consoles, so you can expect it to be a quite amazing game. Fighting doesn't require anything more than gamepad user can easily achieve - and yet it is challenging (you can't just stand in one place and press one button - dodging, blocking, using signs, traps, petards, and throwing knives is essential, and fits the gameplay perfectly) and fun.

Also, in one of interviews Escapist missed out on, CDP-RED said that they were already working on console versions on a smaller scale, but after they finish the PC version, they will concentrate on consoles. And i don't have to remind you that W2 PC came out already.