Vin Diesel Pay Cut Could Kick-Start R-Rated Riddick Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Vin Diesel Pay Cut Could Kick-Start R-Rated Riddick Sequel

Actor asks his fans for their thoughts and advice about returning to the Riddick universe.

Vin Diesel says that filming could start on what he calls a "true R-rated" Riddick movie as early as this summer, provided that he's willing to accept a much smaller salary than he's used to. The first Riddick movie, Pitch Black, came out in 2000, and was followed up by a sequel, Chronicles of Riddick, four years later.

Writing on his Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150280671903313&set=a.101465923312.101581.89562268312&type=1&comments] page, Diesel said that David Twohy, the writer and director of the first two Riddick movies, delivered the news about the project, saying that the actor would have to work "for scale," which is the acting equivalent of minimum wage, in order to be able to make an R-rated movie. Diesel followed that up by saying that money wasn't the most important thing to him as an actor, but also expressed a certain degree of reluctance to get back into the Riddick character. He asked fans for their thoughts - and having received them in abundance - seemed to decide to at least investigate the project, stating that he was meeting with Twohy to look at concept art and discuss the proposed schedule.

The movie supposedly sees Riddick left for dead on a desolate planet, where he must face bounty hunters and alien predators, only to discover that he's a pawn in some grand scheme, and must venture to his home planet to save it from destruction. The synopsis makes it sound a lot more like the Chronicles of Riddick than Pitch Black, although Diesel's comments about an R-rating - Pitch Black was rated R, while Chronicles of Riddick was PG-13 - would seem to suggest that it's actually going to be the other way round. It's also worth mentioning that that synopsis is a year old, and could have changed considerably since then.

It's not impossible that we could see another decent Riddick movie - Twohy worked on the good one as well as the bad one - but although it's going to take more than some vague comments about MPAA ratings to generate much optimism. All the same, there's still a chance that we'll be able to forget the second movie ever took place, Highlander 2-style, even if it's only small.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/vin-diesel-riddick-sequel/92814/]

Jul 22, 2009
I'd like to see this, I love Pitch Black and really enjoyed Dark Fury and Chronicles of Riddick :3

I didn't hate chronicles as much as other people seemed to... but still, I'd like this to be closer to Pitch Black if it comes around.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
I thought both of them were good movies and have seen them several times. I am excited to see the third.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
I loved both of them. Never saw why the second one seems to have everyone angry at it. I admit Chronicles wasn't as good as Pitch Black, but I still liked Chronicles. I guess it comes down to personal choice/taste.

Very excited to hear this, hope it happens, because I know my dad would enjoy another Riddick movie as well.

Frozenfish

Nov 19, 2009
I think the issue with chronicles as apposed to pitch black was that in pitch black, riddick was a part of a larger story, and was an interesting character within it, rather than the focus of the film, chronicles therefore came across as predictable and a bit of a pain. Prophesising the end of the film in the plot is pretty irritating, sort of defuses the drama a bit. whereas in pitch black, although you knew as a veiwer it was unlikely they would all die, they might have done, and you didn't know who would survive if any did, which added tension to it. If the new one is more focusses on riddick again, I think we will have the same problem, especially if its a prequel, because then we know whats going to happen.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Saving his home planet? The fuck? I thought all Furians were already dead anyway...
And it might be a bit hard to explain how he got from being the Grand Marshal of the Necromongers to a guy lost somewhere in space again.

Still, it's a Riddick film and supposed they stay true to his "badness" in the first two it might be a promising thing.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Frozenfish said:
I think the issue with chronicles as apposed to pitch black was that in pitch black, riddick was a part of a larger story, and was an interesting character within it, rather than the focus of the film, chronicles therefore came across as predictable and a bit of a pain. Prophesising the end of the film in the plot is pretty irritating, sort of defuses the drama a bit. whereas in pitch black, although you knew as a veiwer it was unlikely they would all die, they might have done, and you didn't know who would survive if any did, which added tension to it. If the new one is more focusses on riddick again, I think we will have the same problem, especially if its a prequel, because then we know whats going to happen.
I couldn't figure out why I liked Pitch Black more than the other until I just read your comment. That is exactly it. Thank you, sir :)

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I loved Pitch Black and Butcher Bay (I haven't played the second game), but after all of the magical fugliness of the second movie I'm skeptical that a third is worthwhile.

However it is nice to see an actor willing to accept "minimum wage" for the fans like this, even if the project never gets into developement.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I also enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick.

It felt like Flash Gordon meets 90ies Comic Books.

If it was actually good or if there should've been a sequel to begin with is debatable, but it still was a lot of fun. ("Escape from Butcher Bay" was better though).

Either way, i'd love to see more Riddick, it's just what Vin Diesel is supposed to do.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Mrhappyface 2 said:
I loved the Chronicles and Pitch Black. You have to see the uncut versions of both, the ordinary ones don't do them justice.
Interesting. I love Chronicles of Riddick (and enjoyed Pitch Black, but not as much) but was unaware there was an uncut version. I'll have to check this out.

Bring on the sequel!

Alchemist08

May 25, 2010
Would be very interested to see him return to the role. I think he brought something to it very few could match, so yeah, fingers crossed!

Frozenfish

Nov 19, 2009
Frizzle said:
Frozenfish said:
I couldn't figure out why I liked Pitch Black more than the other until I just read your comment. That is exactly it. Thank you, sir :)
No problem :p

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I love everything Riddick.

The movies, the anime Dark Fury, and the games. Especially The Chronicles of Riddick. That was so awesome.

I have been hoping there'd be another movie in the series for years now.

Come on Vin Diesel, the character was made for you! Embrace it!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Not sure Riddick as a character can hold the movie together. Its like Jack Sparrow with PotC.

Pitch Black, Riddick was just a plot character in the background. Most of the movie was about the rest of the survivors.

I guess its that reason that i didn't like Chronicles D:

But i would like to see Vin Diesel go back and play the role he completely owns. We need new action heroes! the older generation of action heroes are getting old, for lack of a better word (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, etc.)

R-Rated Riddick is the only way to go for a character like that.