Student Exposes My Little Pony's Faulty Science

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Student Exposes My Little Pony's Faulty Science

What is the mass of an adorable pegasus, anyway?

As part of a high school science assignment to determine how real the physics in movies and TV shows is, student "Stephen Magnet" has revealed the shockingly low standards of scientific research that goes into the average My Little Pony episode.

Magnet took three clips from the show - the scene where Rainbow Dash finally achieves a "Sonic Rainboom," the scene where Applejack launches Rainbow Dash flying on a seesaw, and the scene where Fluttershy is saved from a fatal fall by a passing cloud of butterflies - and deconstructed the faulty science contained therein. He also offered solutions on how the animators could have tweaked and altered the clips to make them more in line with the laws of physics. Magnet has to assume a few things, like Fluttershy's mass, but even though he is working with uncertain numbers, he neatly demonstrates that there is significant room for improvement on the science side.

Of course, this obviously isn't meant to be super serious - a serious discussion about the science in a kids' show about magical talking ponies is almost too tragic to imagine - but it's funny and it's interesting, and a pretty entertaining way to spend a ten minutes. There's even a small chance that someone might learn something from it, although I wouldn't depend on that.

Source: Geeks are Sexy [http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/05/24/the-incorrect-physics-of-my-little-pony]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Forget physics!
Pony Magic all the way, bitches.

Still, I'm so glad to see something as happy as MLP getting such love. Though I must question my own sanity for having seen this before the news post. >.>

The children's media, its swallowing me whole.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Ponies. Ponies everywhere. There's just no escaping it. This might be a concern if I wasn't already a fan of the new series.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Pfft. Applejack doesn't need none of your PHYSICS.

And with the existance of magic in any universe, science is always moot. :p

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...
What haven't those freaking ponies taintedtouched?

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
Every brony has already probably seen this but it might give all non-fans a chuckle or two. Anyway, awesome guy doing something I wish I dared to :)

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Wow, I'd already seen this posted in the usergroup a couple times, but I hadn't thought the official Escapist news would care. Today I have learned never to underestimate the appeal of the Ponies.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
LOL Stephen Magnet is the fan name of the dragon in episode one, not the kid's name.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...
Obviously your heart.

Isn't there an internet rule about applying real life physics to comics and TV?

Applejack can launch Rainbow Dash due to friendship, obviously.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Doesn't he know thats it magic, we don't gota explain shit.
Also that cartoons don't have to follow real world fundamental laws.

RaZor921

Dec 30, 2009
So a show about magical ponies needs to be scientifically correct?

Really?

Fluttershy all the way!

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
As part of a high school science assignment to determine how real the physics in movies and TV shows is, student "Stephen Magnet" has revealed the shockingly low standards of scientific research that goes into the average My Little Pony episode.
Uuuuuh...
I'll just point out that that isn't quite right.

OT: Aye, I saw this a couple of days ago when it got featured on Equestria Daily, and was terribly amused then.
I think we need more "Applejack is made of dark matter" though.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Gigaguy64 said:
ಠ_ಠ
Im...just....wow...
Obviously your heart.
You got that right.
Isn't there an internet rule about applying real life physics to comics and TV?

Applejack can launch Rainbow Dash due to friendship, obviously.
Yea, the power of Friendship is a scary thing indeed.